Guest viewing is limited

PKR Rattles is moving into recovery

No tests or ROM was conducted maybe due to staples coming out and PT was left off till next visit. I find this strange that no PT will be done for at least 3 weeks is this a normal amount of time seeing how much movement I have . I'm guessing it's allowing time for scar tissue to heal and not do any damage in that area so will see what comes out of that .
Different surgeons have different protocols. In the US, many believe in starting PT almost immediately. In the UK, most people don't do formal PT, but work on exercises by themselves at home, from a printout they're given.

Here in NZ, my surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT for at least 4 weeks after a TKR. He says that the knee needs that time to start its healing. Hi patients all do well and he hasn't had to do a MUA to help with ROM for the past 3 years. He doesn't measure ROM either, but just looks at the knee ans says "Show me what you can do." That's because he believes that function is more important than numbers. He can easily see if ROM is progressing satisfactorily. I followed his protocol for both my knees and they are great. They straighten fully and I "guesstimate" they bend to well over 120 degrees.

So, don't worry about not having any formal PT. Walk around the house a bit and do a few
Heel slides and how to do them . That's all your knee needs for now.
 
Thank you celle once again your inside and wisdom has eased some concerns I had . I have had pretty much my worse day today back on 2 crutches and looks like my other knee has just spat the dummy I'm pretty devastated to say the least that my good knee is now giving me more pain that my operated knee ,maybe the pain has always been there if I'm lucky I've pinched a nerve but at this stage I'm in a bit of pain that meds do not seem to help and left wondering if it too needs to be done and how the hell I can afford to have the op


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for the "good" knee to start being painful, because it's suddenly having to take almost double the load as your TKR knee heals.

Please will you update your signature, as it still says TKR?PKR ? Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Rattles,
Wishing you a better day today with less pain and more comfort. It gets so tiring doesn't it--the small improvement comes and then the setback and there seems no end in sight and we are just so tired! Anyway, here's hoping that today is a good day for you. :console2:
 
First PT Today

So finally got OS to put me up for some physio and got in today for the first time
My ROM came in at 110 if that's the correct way to say it and he was happy with that said it was the expected number after this amount of time. Was given some exercises to complete all to what ever level I can do with out causing additional pain so happy he is not pushing no pain no gain button. Walking most days short distance to local shop bout 10 min there and same back no real discomfort from bad knee. Good knee is being really annoying starting to suffer with more pain than bad knee but after 3 years of trying to carry me not really surprised it's showing signs of wear. Next OS appointment is in 4 weeks and questions will be asked to find out if I have made this knee worse over this time and will insurance cover the op should my good knee need work as well. Till then exercise new knee continue to get it back then maybe look at next op


PKR 5.1.16
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom