Guest viewing is limited

TKR ralfski's own recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ralfski This ROM deal gets my blood boiling as @Nana moon 27 would say. An MUA? I am gobsmacked as they say from the UK. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. You are only 6 weeks out. My numbers were very low at that stage. I listened here and held my ground to those who behaved as though I was somehow "failing"
Be compassionate towards yourself and treat that knee like a baby as one of the articles talks about. It'll pay off later...truly.
~~hopefaith
 
@ralfski I was mortified when I read about your physical terrorist! No, you should never, ever do anything that hurts. You will increase swelling and pain and achieve nothing. I think your rom is fabulous at such an early stage of your recovery. Well done! Get yourself another PT, one that doesn't push or force you to do things that hurt.

Please remember that recovery is individual and don't compare yourself to others. It took me a long time to learn that. Now I know, I try to explain to new members not to worry too much about rom in the early days. It will come with time and healing. You really are doing fine x

The best exercises are the ones you were sent by the forum moderators. The reading list may look long but they are short, easy to read and user friendly articles. They helped me immensely in my early days and even now when I need a bit of guidance or memory jogging.

Anyhow, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you are feeling ok? Xxxxx

It seems a bit early for MUA. Could I suggest that you tag Josephine in (our wonderful fount of knowledge and wisdom) and get her advice please. She is has extensive experience inOrthopaedics. Just put the @ before her name. Her avatar is a cute ginger kitten so you know you have the right person

Good luck x

Take care now
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Hi @ralfski Hope you are doing great and after reading your post some of the things you are dealing with sound like things that I was dealing with to. I had the same threat about Rom when pt visited me at our home and this was after my 2nd week at home after surgery. Do not let them make you feel this way I did and it just made it harder to handle. It is a shame that some people just do not get what is involved and how much it takes to get through this surgery most of the stress is caused by these people.

I left hospital at 85 degrees and with the amount of aggressive pt this poor knee put up with my Rom at 6 weeks had dropped to somewhere around 50. I will tell you that my knee still bends at just above 95 degrees even with all of the physio, massages, and walking it had stayed this way surgeon says it happens sometimes all knee are not the same he agreed. I am comfortable doing what I need to do walk, climb many stairs, and drive. I stopped my pt coming to our home when the pt insisted that I sit in a chair push my leg back as far as it would go and further and remain that way watch tv whatever that way. I tried to push further and so much pain still it did not move. That was the day that I quit pt in our home and it was then that my pain level dropped a bit a lot. More tolerable.

My pain medication never worked never felt like I had taken it. Now understanding as the surgeon told me that it was not as strong as they usually prescribe on its own he thought with leaving the hospital at 85 and that all seemed to be going fine this would be enough. I think that you might feel better after talking to the surgeon might not agree with what the pa told you mine didn't even if he does not appreciate how she treated you. I know that many have manipulations and maybe this would have been a good choice for me but my surgeon does not do that many of them . He explained that there are good points and then some that might make it worse.

I was offered at 8 weeks two choices either he would put me out and try to bend my knee or he would recommend no more pt of any kind other then walking no more pushing was his prescription. I explained to the surgeon that this was threatened by her that either move better or no choice he would be upset and force bend it. I was also told that he did not suggest this in my case as he said that sometimes it makes things worse . Just speaking from my experience with the surgeon not from first hand experience having an manipulation.

Why do people think that scaring someone with this threat do they think we can just pull a bigger bend out of the sky when we want it. More and more things that people say without thinking of how they will make someone feel . Someone like you and I and many of our bone smart friends who are trying and want encouragement.

Hoping you can get into the pool it will make you feel more relaxed and that is a good thing all by itself. Things will get easier.In my case they did. Maybe not the bend for me but no more pain in this knee and so much more quality of life. Having my next surgery sometime in the next maybe around 4 or 5 months. First few chances to talk to surgeon were not till 6 weeks more talking better communication at 8 weeks and then one day sitting in hallway by his office after massage.

Now getting to know his thoughts and he does not agree with any form of aggressive treatment wonderful communication during last few appointments and so impressed with how he feels he understands how the first replacement went and upset that I was treated this way said I fell through the cracks thank goodness for bonesmart.

Looking to a better plan from him for next time discussed medication and pt and he is promising me that this time it will not happen the same way more pain management more communications and no more pt. Holly

Wishing you the best and hoping things get easier. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU...thank you so much Holly! Your experiences really do sound like mine. I appreciate so much your taking the time to comment. You made my day! Heck, you made my week!
Best of luck to you on your cortisone shot next week. Let us know how it's going. Take care; you are such a blessing!
 
Hi @ralfski I enjoyed receiving your post and your kind words made me feel nice to and thanks for them. Happy to have helped in sharing my story and know for me just being able to talk about what was happening made it so much easier to handle for myself as well. My husband was my biggest support and along with the words of encouragement and information I received when I came to bone smart. These two sources of kindness made me feel less on my own. There are misconceptions concerning this type of surgery and some think that if the knee has been replaced then the knee being new could not possibly have any pain. A friend of my brothers told him that his new knee was pain free and able to move easily like normal right after surgery . Sometimes this might happen but not in many cases not in mine either but at the first think I was handling it pretty well until I was told by pt needed to do better.

Never thought that bend would not come right never really had anyone mention bend being an issue till first pt. My Mom had her surgery two months before mine. I spent a lotl of time with her taking her to appointments and shopping for her but even with this close contact she never really told me what she was going through. I knew it hurt but she did not have pt at home as the first two times they came and hurt her she told them not to come back. Even being her care giver over the period of time between he surgery and mine I did not know what to expect with mine. Two different recoveries. Her bend came right away. But offered her support and whatever help she needed. After my Moms surgery tried to keep her feeling like she was doing wonderful tried not wanting her to feel alone. Thanks again for your kind post will keep in touch and now less then a week till my appointment and looking forward to talking to the surgeon on Monday. Stay comfortable as best as you can, do not let anyone make you feel like you are not doing great because you are and remember this journey seems to be long some days but not everyone could handle what we all have and this makes us all exceptional to have made it this far. Wishing you a wonderful day and be kind to yourself and your wonderful new knee. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ralfski,
I had LTKR on 2 July 2014 which makes me nearly nine weeks and I have rom of 95 ;)
I saw my OS 2 weeks ago and he was well pleased and said if I keep on my pain meds, go to pool, continue with my exercises, the rest of the Rom will follow. I see a lovely lady PT at the hospital every 2 weeks who listens to my knee stories, has a look at me on the bike and stairs, gives my knee a bit of a massage and tells me what a great job I'm doing.
I think you are doing just great and I agree with you that all the people on this forum give you comfort and confidence to go on - as they have done for me.
Please keep us updated and I wish you luck x
 
A huge thank you to you all...I really was beginning to feel as though my lack of progress in getting this old girl (my new knee) to bend was some failing on my part. Of course, I recognize that I do that a lot. If something isn't right I automatically look to find the failing on my end. Now, with the help of all of you, I recognize that these threats of MOA and being a lifelong cripple for what they are...MEAN and uncalled for and very hurtful.

Just returned from OS (6 week check up) he said I was doing "Great". So much for all the negative talk from pt and the scare tactics. Thank you all (again) so much. I know this sounds like a broken record---but this has been enormously helpful in many ways. Love and Blessings!
 
@tiredwife Thanks for the posting. I think I can do most of what I need to do without a physical therapist. I might try to ask around here to see if anyone knows of someone who has a gentler approach. Doctor did say I was fine to go in the pool....just not to overdo.
Hope you and your hubby had a good day. You must be so proud of him .... I can't imagine TWO new knees at the (almost) same time. Talk to you soon. You take care. Aprell
 
@ralfski You could probably do it on your own. Hubby had PT again today so he is a bit hurting, but it is muscle pain from them not being used that much lately.
I am always proud of him, he is one tough guy! He needed to get them done during the same short term disability, because if he got one done and went back to work he might have fallen because they were both going out on him before surgery. Didn't want to risk a fall on a new knee. Plus we are very lucky that he has had 2 fairly easy recoveries.
Don't overdo it in the pool, I heard it is easy to do.
 
New wrinkle...just wondering if insomnia is a common complaint for TKR folks. I've Never had trouble sleeping...ever. But recently I can not get to sleep nor stay asleep for more than an hour or two at a time. My mind seems just to race....weird, what's with that? I am not taking much in the way of pain meds....don't need them too often. I am taking a Tylox here and there. I was just wondering if anyone out there has gone through this new level of hell and how long does it last?? I've had numerous operations in the past....Never, ever...had this to happen. Am I just lucky, or is it common with knees for some weird reason?
 
@ralfski Yes a major complaint is lack of sleep. Hubby doesn't know why, sometimes it is he just can't get comfortable. A lot of people have problems. Some times Benadryl will help.
 
Thank you for the Benedryl suggestion! Great idea & I'll try that. It's crazy....I've NEVER had this problem (or at least not for more than one night here and there). It's NO fun. I hope your hubby gets his sleep routine back soon. Any clue as to how long this goes on?
 
@ralfski With his first knee he was still having some problems at 10 weeks and that is when he had his second knee done! He still has issues with it because of his second knee only being 4 1/2 week post. I'm sure it varies with each person.
 
Hi @ralfski Thankyou and just arriving home from the hospital and happy to have the injection done. May have to cut our walk a little shorter tomorrow my surgeon recommends giving my knee a few days of rest not as much walking but we are going to the park tomorrow even if we just sit on the bench by the water and talk. Wishing you a wonderful day Holly
 
Hi @ralfski Hope you are doing great and you are not having any pain. I think if you can get past the pt you feel better. I found after pt was cancelled by my surgeon and I started to walk for my exercise I was much more relaxed and measured my progress by how much I could do to make things easier to get around. I had the same problem with sleeping just could not get comfortable not used to sleeping on my back and not sure where to put my leg. I spent a lot of time after going to bed getting up to use our bathroom so even though I was tired it seemed like my mind was still very active. I believe that one of the most important part of the recovery time was positive vibes either from the surgeon , friends. my husband of course who was so positive and bone smart friends who helped so much along my journey. A nurse told me years ago when my husband was in for pneumonia and his condition was very serious that the way to manage some of it was surround your self with positive people and things that make you calm and let the other people and things that made things more difficult go.I have thought of what she said many times and she was right how much kindness and encouragement help things we have to handle. Each day you look back you will be amazed at how far you have come and any one who can make it through all of this is a truly amazing Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom