Guest viewing is limited

Questions galore! & Second Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I am recovering I will need to remember all of this and if I am not getting help I will call my Mom over sooner!
Thank goodness for Mom!! It sounds as if you have learned to manage your relationship, with its problems really well!:yes:
My brother in law who has had a TKR following a PKR that went wrong, and had to be upgraded in just a few weeks, ( different surgeon different hospital I am happy to say!) is coming over on Wednesday, so perhaps I can get him to talk some recovery sense into my PT enamoured husband! Maybe he will listen to him. Only trouble is they are the same type, and bro in law, probably impeded his recovery by doing too much physio. I have just got to hope that if so, he learned from that! Otherwise this idea might go against me even more! I'll let you know!:umm:
 
he said "so are you telling me I will be wasting my time taking days off from work?" Oy VEY! By the way, I do not think I shared, my husband has Aspergers. So empathy is NOT even in his makeup!

lol God bless you and him. I've worked with children with Aspergers, so I know it can be a challenge and a blessing. :angel: I love their literal minds, but with my crazy sense of humor I had to remember to "keep it real." I think men in general can be clueless, nothing compared to Aspergers but dang dudes! I don't know WHAT my boys have, one is IAAMADHD (It's All About Me ADHD) and the other has SOCDUD (Selective-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder w/a bit of UN-Attention Deficit) lol :loll: I basically had to jump up and down crying :tantrum: (on my good leg) a week after surgery to get them to DO without me asking. I gave them the analogy of when they were babies/children and needed to be fed, or have their diaper changed... I didn't wait for them to ask me, or scream to the top of their lungs to get help. It took a minute but they caught on. I think after they saw all the pain I was in, and how I was being a trooper :bicycle2: they felt motivated to get me some ice w/o asking. It was rough for a couple of weeks but we're closer now. Especially my oldest, it was like a rite of passage for him. Think he finally got the "Honor you mother" thing down. :flwrysmile: My youngest one was carrying the weight for a minute.

I'm a control freak too and I have ADHTripleD! So not being mobile for a while and barking out orders in the way I would do it if I could, was a challenge for us all. Basically I can do 10 things to my youngest 1! So while he would be walking out of the room, I'd be asking for something else. Plus the meds had me fuzzy forgetful, so I'd remember a minute or two after he had left the room. :headbang: Eventually they learned to think and plan for me, and I learned to do without the small things I had forgotten to keep the peace. I'm just use to doing. :dancy: So that was a rough patch.

If you haven't already, you may want to write a list of things you need with a time schedule when your mom's not there. Writing some of it before surgery may be helpful as you'll be fuzzy. I think I'm gonna have a "Town Meeting" a week before my next one, compose a list and assign duties so I do not have to have another mid-life crisis breakdown. :hairpulling:


I know the ups and downs come with the territory but, I'm hoping we will both have a smooth surgery and a pleasant as possible recovery. :cheers:
 
lol God bless you and him. I've worked with children with Aspergers, so I know it can be a challenge and a blessing
OMG, he took August 30-Sept 10th off, my surgery is Sept. 5th and I come home on the 9th! Guess I will be calling Mom! Bionic Woman 2 you had me cracking up, sounds as if you have big challenges!
 
Getting ready, checking off supplies I have ordered!!
Cryo Cuff with two cuffs - checked
Leg Elevator cushion - checked
foot lifter - checked
picker upper -checked
long handle scrubber - checked
shower seat - checked
shower mat and handles -checked
 
shower cuff for your leg,(about 3 feet long with a rubber cuff to keep water off your knee and leg ) hospital or nursing facility may give you one.
 
Tomorrow is pre-op testing at 6:45AM! What the heck, I need to get up at 5:45 to make it on time, I will barely know my name!
 
Tomorrow is pre-op testing at 6:45AM! What the heck, I need to get up at 5:45 to make it on time, I will barely know my name!
Okay that was nothing ... I thought the pre-op girls were going to throw a party because I was only 51 and healthy as a horse with bad knees! Wait a horse with bad knees would not be healthy! Anyway, only reviewed medical history, blood work and went over infection control and CHG wipes. No EKG, chest x-ray or stress test. My OS does not give blood thinners unless the patient's medical history warrants them, he gives aspirin after the surgery to everyone who is not on blood thinners. Tomorrow I go to my Primary to get a medical release.
 
I was reviewing your post and a couple of things come to mind. 1) Dont rule out going to a skilled nursing facility SNF after the surgery. They do everything for you which is nice but better is that you get on-site PT a couple of times a day(which is why I wanted to go). I visited several in advance and picked the one I wanted based on the general feeling and the gym and of course internet access. In your case you may go home after your first and then see how it goes then you can decide what to do after your second. Do find out first what your insurance requires to qualify. Some want you to have been in the hospital for three overnights before considering SNF. And of course your doctor has to recommend as medically necessary. In any case 10-15 days after your second might be a thought to keep in reserve so you may want to check out in advance.

Regarding hyper extension, my good leg is 3 degrees hyper and my new knee is zero. My O/S thought that the mechanical knee might limit me going into hyper extension. I suppose I will eventually find out but I am still doing exercises designed to increase extension (as well as daily leg strengthening exercises).

By the way, I see you do some biking. After my operation I found a stationary bike helped me a lot with getting my flexion going which was about 90 when I came out of the hospital. I used a roller which I hooked my bike up to and starting with the highest seat position I finally got a rotation and then was able to continue on. The roller is about40 $.

By the way, as far as meals go you may find that your appetite goes in the tank for a while and nothing tastes quite like it did. In my case this lasted about 2 months and is still not really back to old normal. (perhaps this is my new normal).

Just some thoughts. :SUNsmile:
 
Pain management. Make sure u leave the hospital with good drugs and an easy way to get refills. I had hydrocodone in 10 mg tablets with enough for 20 mg every 4 hours for 5 days. I refilled it 3 or 4 times but didn't need any in the last bottle. It really helped me sleep and once i got home I was able to scale it back by taking it as needed and at lower doses. I was pretty liberal in giving my self pain meds as I read somewhere to take them before PT so that you can get a better session. In the end the general pain for me (everyone is of course different)
after the first 5 days was really more of a general discomfort which gradually lessened over time. Mine was just one knee though and you have two so that is unknown territory for me. Just be prepared (I'm sure you are) and don't make getting off meds a priority. Instead make pain management a priority.

By the way there is a thread by a BTKR named scaredinCA. You have probably seen it but just in case you may find it useful.
 
Hey You! How's it going?
Almost time to get the "Bees Knees"... remember. :heehee:
 
Oh ... I am so stinking scared :sorry: surgery day is getting closer. This might seem crazy but the thing that has me the most anxious is not sleeping! I am like a little kid, I kick my legs and move them about when my knees bother me and I can not sleep. It kinda releases the tension in my legs. I feel like screaming some nights and kick and rotate my ankles so hard my feet feel like they will fly off! The thought of being flat on my back, not moving freely and not sleeping just makes me want to call my OS and say maybe we need to wait! Argh!! :yikes: I bought the Leg Elevator and Cyro Cuff and tried it out tonight and I hate it! I feel like I am in stocks!
 
Hey You! How's it going?
Almost time to get the "Bees Knees"... remember. :heehee:
Oh not good, so scared! I just read your post and others on the "other side" and I am both inspired and the bejesus is scared out of me! :gaah: I do have to say I love your spirit and fight! Oh and if you still want a man I can loan you Craig!
 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks Janis, but I'll wait for my own man. :wink:

It's okay to be scared. I heard someone say on a movie or something... "Do it Afraid." :beg: It's gonna be okay. :ok:
My mostly positive, care-free, crazy spirit is what keeps me going. Thank God for giving it to me. Oh, but there are times, I just want to be like "normal people." I LOVE that movie by the way.

I have been trying to go to bed for 2 hours now, let me get off this site. Don't you just love the support though. This is going to be one of your greatest comforts on the other side. :console2:

Okay, Goodnight :friends:
 
Don't you just love the support though. This is going to be one of your greatest comforts on the other side. :console2: Okay, Goodnight :friends:
Ahhhh girl you made me cry! :boohoo: I m so happy I found this website, I feel like I can do this! I think I can, I think I can!
[Bonesmart.org] Questions galore! & Second Thoughts
 
Wow, somebody just shared the same pic on their Facebook page!

Yes you can little engine. :yes:
 
Butterfly You can find the bike stands on the internet. They are called Bicycle Trainer Stands and you can get them on amazon. This one is $65.00. I have seen them cheaper with perhaps less functions. You can also spend a lot lot more on them but mine which was a little less in cost (I think it was around $40.00 ) and maybe function then this one was fine. Before buying an expensive one I would invest in one like this to see how much you are going to use it. I found it helpful during the 3rd and 4th week (I think) to get the first rotations going and after that I returned it to the person I borrowed it from and started on a regular bike. (very slow and very level and then building up)
7 Level Bike or Bicycle Trainer Stand for Resistance and Indoor Exercise or Training





[Bonesmart.org] Questions galore! & Second Thoughts


:SUNsmile:
 
Oh ... I am so stinking scared :sorry: surgery day is getting closer
Me too! Me Too! :iagree:

The thought of being flat on my back, not moving freely and not sleeping
Yes Janis, that thought freaks me out too! I am a side sleeper, and I like to curl myself up...I never fall asleep on my back, and if I wake up and have been on my back I have a nasty taste in my mouth ,as my mouth falls open...yech...How are we going to sleep like that!? :shocked: Some folk don' t even get into bed at first...but I love my bed...Well if we have to put up with it we have too...lets hope it won't be for very long...

I bought the Leg Elevator and Cyro Cuff and tried it out tonight and I hate it! I feel like I am in stocks!
Oh dear....what's the leg elevator? Is it that contraption whereby you can use it to lift your leg onto the bed? I haven't bought one of those, I'm hoping the OT dept will lend me one. I have got the Cryo cuff, and haven't tried it out yet, keep meaning too, must have a go tomorrow afternoon...sorry that it feels awful, but I guess ice on knees that don't need it feels weird, we will probably feel differently when the ice cold water is bringing our knees relief! :beg:

I m so happy I found this website, I feel like I can do this!
Yes so am I...we're not alone! It is a great comfort to be sharing this experience with others who are doing the same...like you one minute i feel....Yes!! I can do this, :yes!: and the next I think...what the hell am I letting myself in for??? :scare:

Go well Janis, and may the next few days be not too stressful for you...we'll get there!! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom