Guest viewing is limited

THR Quad pain

Thank you for the valuable advice. I will take it super easy. My TKR in 2011 went so much better, but that did take 4 months
 
Take it easy on yourself and at 4 months your hip will be pretty good too
 
Thank you all. I have now changed my strategy. Instead of pushing to be back where I was. I am now taking it super easy, no PT workouts, no farm chores, icing and walking slowly with cane.
This seems to be working albeit, ever so slowly.
Again, thank you
 
Ortho called. Broken femur. They want me non weight bearing. Clueless how it broke. Maybe stressed from surgery

Procedure: CT LOWER EXTREMITY HIP RIGHT WITHOUT CONTRAST
Date of service: 3/29/2024 1:03 PM

History: 72 years, Male, "Hip replacement, periprosthetic fracture
suspected"

Technique: Axial CT of the right hip without contrast. Coronal and
sagittal reformats were performed.

All CT scans performed within Guthrie Medical Imaging facilities use
one or more of the following dose optimization techniques:
* Automated exposure control
* Adjustment of mA and/or kV according to patient size
* Iterative reconstruction

Comparison: Right hip radiograph 3/15/24

Findings:

There is a right total hip arthroplasty. There is an oblique,
nondisplaced, periprosthetic fracture of the femoral shaft. There is
no dislocation.

IMPRESSION
1. Nondisplaced, periprosthetic fracture of the right femoral shaft.

Signed by Nathan Gomes on 3/30/2024 9:50 PM
 
Ugh, I am so sorry. That will definitely slow your roll. I have read here more than once of fractures occurring during surgery. I wish you the best and hope this non weight bearing restriction phase moves by quickly for you.
We're here for support whenever you need us.
Take care!
@jsykas
 
You certainly had reason to be suspicious of your symptoms,
So sorry for you that , sounds tough !
The positive to take though is that they have found the problem early curtesy of scans. I find that our clinical symptoms don’t seem to count much with physicians here and only accept what they can see on scans regarding diagnosis.
All be it they don’t always want to refer one for scans here following hip surgery . I waited 4 years here to have a scan and I really had to fight for it well it felt like a fight. But I’m ready for any thing now , no more nonsense and fobbing off .

Looks like rest for you unless they recommend surgery ?
 
They recommended only non weight bearing, no surgery.
I want a copy of the actual scan so I can see it myself and get another opinion.
 
It looks like I listened to PT who had no idea that I had a fracture.
I was instructed not to favor the implant leg, that when I stand use mainly the implant leg and when I walk push harder with implant leg. That will get you back to normal.
Guessing all that extra pushing, even though gentle, caused fracture to manifest. And it surely did
 
Oh no.
Well, an answer (and a treatment) at least - getting a second opinion is always a decent idea.
 
I had small fracture discovered upon first X-Ray about 6 weeks post op. I was given light weight bearing for 4 weeks & I followed instructions to the letter. Fortunately at next appt 4 weeks later the fracture had begun to heal so not further surgery.
Good luck, Follow LWB instructions.
 
Asked for visit with surgeon who got ne right in. Fracture is quite bad. Scheduled for hip revision surgery next week.
As x-ray from March 15th shows clean, no sign of fracture and as late on the 16th, I had my 1st pain from this, surgeon feels that I must have fell or jumped.
Odd as it progressed very slowly over the 16th, just gradually getting worse all during that day. I did nothing to strain it at all. So absolutely clueless what could cause such a severe fracture after it healed for six weeks and nothing out of the ordinary happened. So strange
 
@jsykas sorry to hear that the fracture is quite bad. Happy though that they are getting you in quickly for a revision. Can you share the exact date of the revision so we can update your signature?
 
Oh I'm sorry.
 
Still no clue why. Could it have been under stress then let loose? I never fell, never jumped, never ran. Came on slowly March 16th
 
@jsykas sometimes these things just happen and we never find out why. But at least it was found and they're going to do your revision soon. Fingers crossed this gets you back on the recovery road and you can get in prime shape for ski season this year. :fingersx:
 
The implant, like splitting wood, acted like a wedge, splitting femur bottom to top. Don't know if it was under stress from get go and with more use let loose. Or if it moved down and split bone. Probably the former.
1000017412.jpg
 
Wow...I'm so sorry you have to endure another surgery. Thankfully it's soon and you'll be back on the road to recovery. Please know we'll be here for support whenever you're in need and we'll be cheering on your progress. Lots of comfort to you as you await next Wednesdays surgery.
@jsykas
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom