Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

One of the things that keeps me entertained is Merriam-Webster's word of the day (I know, it's a low bar) which appears on my Twitter feed each morning. Today's word is "hebetude" which means lethargy or dullness. So, those of us who have been low energy can say we're experiencing hebetude and really get our friends and families scratching their heads.
 
No hebetude here this morning, quite the opposite. As such, I'm off to see the wizard...oh, wait...no, I'm off to go grocery shopping. That may result in some or much hebetude later....time will tell.

Helen, then that was you I just saw in the garden? LOL!
 
Week 3 post op on left knee is winding down (and week 9 post op on right knee) so time for an update:
--In-home PT for lefty is about to end. I see her 2 more times and then am signed off. I have a Rx for outpatient PT for both knees but will hold off a bit--at the very least until I can drive myself to appts and that's probably a couple of weeks off. I will go eventually because I find it helpful to have someone working with me on gait and balance, get on a stationary bike, etc., but I'm in no rush.
--ROM is good in both knees. I had good ROM in lefty pre-op and wonder if that's what is helping me regain ROM.
--Still some swelling in both knees but greatly diminished.
--My sense is that lefty has been slightly more painful than righty--I say that based on using more pain meds in the beginning of lefty's recovery than I did with righty. But I wonder if that could be due to some increased tolerance to the meds having only been off them for 10 days between surgeries. In any case, I'm finding I need the narcotics less and less and am starting to stretch out the time between doses more and more.
--I have some stiffness and soreness in righty when I first stand up and start to walk but it quickly goes away. Righty has held up well as the "good" knee.
--Completely off the walker and on the cane now except for middle of the night bathroom trips. Today I was comfortable moving around the kitchen without anything (fixing lunch).
--In spite of good ROM #s in lefty (doing seated measurements), I have that tight band/rubber band feeling across the front of the knee when I walk. Don't remember experiencing that with righty but not sure I trust my memory of early days. I also feel some clicking on the lateral side, which I haven't felt with righty.
--Sleeping well most nights but I know that's largely due to taking pain meds at night, which make me sleepy. We'll see what happens when I start to wean off. With righty, I easily came off daytime meds but continued with night time until just a few days before the 2nd surgery--and then did have some sleep difficulties (but that might have been because of anxiety about the surgery).
--Energy drain continues but is slightly less intense.

So, physically, things are moving along nicely. Emotionally, it's still a struggle and probably will be for a while as this LONG recovery period tip-toes along. Being able to drive will help but I know I'll still have limited energy and stamina and will have to be careful about not doing too much.
 
Good report, Bertie. I think it sounds like you are doing very well. Yes, this "never ending" recovery is tedious, but you are holding up incredibly well. :console2:
 
Gertie, this is a very positive report! At just three weeks, you are close to appliance-free, cutting back on Rx pain meds, "Righty," has been able to withstand the onslaught without much complaint, clicking is supposedly a good sign, and you're sleeping fairly well; huzzah! :happydance:

As for the emotional part? Well...let's just say that goes on for a bit, eh? Yeah. Even at 13 weeks, there are still some *funky* days, but they are fewer and farther between. I *think* I can say at this point that the good days outweigh the bad, or at least I can string a few good days together before I crash. :SUNsmile: As a *stager* it might take you a bit longer to be able to say this with conviction, but given how well you did with "Righty," who knows? You may very well become the "Poster Child of Stagers," lol. :dancy:
 
You are really doing well for just three weeks out for that new knee! Hang in there and be sure you don't overdo. Of course, you do know what to do and what not to do! What a good report!
 
That's a very positive report! I can't imagine going through 2nd recovery so close to prior recovery! Certainly seems understandable that mentally and emotionally you may struggle! Try to keep your eye on the little victories as they come!
 
i agree you're doing very well after only 3 weeks of 2nd knee replacement and wonderful that the swelling has greatly diminished in both knees. :yes:
 
Great report Gertie - and so glad that righty has been up to the challenge of it all. Keep up the good work. :yes!:
 
Just one more visit with in-home PT on Monday. The usual routine on her visit today--a short walk, a few gentle exercises, measure bend--and all looks good. She said I should start getting back to my normal routines-- and that has given me pause. What is "normal"? Over the past few years, activities have gotten gradually cut back. 2 1/2 mile hilly walks became 1 mile level walks; 3 hour vigorous gardening stints became 30 minutes of gentle weeding; a mid-day walk to clear my head went from 1 mile at a brisk pace to 5 minutes around the block.

For the past year and a half, normal has been a lot of sedentary time nursing painful joints or recovering joints. I got glimpses of a more active life after my hip replacement last fall. I dared to shop at Target and go grocery shopping on the same day! I began doing gentle aerobic routines in my living room. I cooked real meals, met friends at the movies, went to a concert. And then the knees got more vocal and life got really circumscribed again.

It's clearly too soon for me to really be engaging in "normal" activities. Both knees are sore today--probably too much up and down doing things around the house yesterday--so I'll be couching it and icing.

In any case, it's interesting to think about what "normal" will be as things heal up.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom