TKR Pulmonary embolism and heart arrhythmia complications

My mother also has a heart arrhythmia that showed up only when she had a TKR. It happened both times and is something the cardiologist told her was benign. For some reason, the surgery triggered it. Good thing she only has two knees, I guess. I hope yours is similarly a non-issue. I think you’re right that the pulmonary embolism is probably more serious. It’s good you and your medical team are on top of that.

Your attitude is so upbeat and can-do! :flwrysmile:
 
Exactly @SusieShoes! Since I've met my out of pocket max, I think I'm going to schedule an ablation ( I think ) to remove the short circuit. When it was first diagnosed about 15 years ago (after a horrible stomach bug) I was given the option to fix it. But I felt better at the time, and didn't feel like going through a procedure. Now I am realizing that as I get older, it could be more of a problem.

I have another cranky knee, too. Don't think I will undergo another tkr again if I can possibly avoid it! I'm wondering if the surgeon will be willing to touch me again anyway, lol!
 
I understand why you'd want to go ahead and have the ablation. Since your copays are met, now seems like it'd be a good time. I'd certainly discuss it with your doctor.
 
@Agnes. I'm so glad your EKG and blood pressure were normal. I have had atrial flutter since my thirties. I did have it ablated in my early 40s - but at that time they could only ablate the circuits on one side of my heart - they hadn't developed the technique to reach the other side of the heart. They tried a second time a few years later to ablate more circuits, but couldn't get my heart to act up when I was in the lab. I am pretty well controlled now with an anti-arrhythmic drug so I don't see myself getting that wayward circuit fixed. It does act up if I forget my pills, if I get stressed or overly tired and sometimes with caffeine. I just have to be careful and listen to my body. I would definitely do the ablation again if I were having the kinds of symptoms I was having in my forties. I am glad that you slept well and that the doctors are taking care that the clot dissolves so you can get back to a normal recovery from your TKR.
 
I am 4 weeks post surgery today, and I think the knee is coming along fine. I have no idea what my rom is, but I am getting around without too much discomfort. I never had the extreme swelling and bruising that I've seen in pictures, thank God! I'm seeing the surgeon this week and hope he doesn't complain about my progress.

The problem I'm having is with my stomach. I'm nauseated most of the time. I can't always tell if it's because I'm hungry or not. Appetite is way off. I'm taking xarelto for the pulmonary embolism and digoxin and metoprolol for the heart arrhythmia. I guess one of them is the culprit. I only take dilaudid at night, and I don't notice any side effects from it. My blood oxygen still drops from exertion, and my heart races. I'm so tired of feeling tired. I have not left the house except for doctor appts. I won't even walk to the mailbox by myself because I'm afraid of fainting. I have wonderful neighbors who have offered to walk with me, but the memory of collapsing at pt is too fresh. I thought by now I'd at least be able to go out with my husband to the grocery store.

Please excuse my pity party! I should be grateful to have little pain.
 
That you are getting around with little discomfort is a wonderful sign! Your knee does sound like it’s doing well. What do you do by way of exercise? You said you don’t walk to the mailbox, but do you walk around the house a little? Do a few daily activities (like get a snack or dust a shelf)? That’s really all your knee needs to keep it bending and mobile. You have to respect the limitations of your heart and lungs, of course! More vital than any knee.

Your nausea probably is due to your meds. Have you discussed this side effect with the doctor(s) who prescribed these meds? There may be alternate meds you can try. There are also medications that combat nausea that may be available to help you. I suffered severe nausea after my knee replacements and the culprit turned out to be... iron pills. When I stopped taking those, the nausea and lack of appetite went away. So do talk to your physician to see if you can be helped. Being sick to your stomach all the time is no way to live! :sick:
 
There's no reason you can't ride to the store with your husband. But, you need to ride the electric cart. I think it'd lift your mood to get out for a little while. I had a friend take me at about 4 weeks. She went into the store and brought the cart out to me and then afterwards, I rode it back to the car and she took it back into the store. Your hubby could do that for you. The biggest problem I had was swelling because I couldn't elevate for a couple of hours.
 
Thanks, @SusieShoes and @sistersinhim! I am doing small chores around the house and laps around the dining room table! I do laundry (I don't carry it anywhere, tho) and heat up simple meals. I'm not doing any "exercises". I'm sure the surgeon isn't going to weigh in on the meds I'm taking and I won't see the cardiologist again for a few weeks. Obviously, a change in meds could introduce new problems! I wish I could shake the cobwebs out of my head.

If the trip to see the surgeon goes well (at least a couple of hours out of the house) I think I'll risk a trip out to eat with my husband. I'm sure it would lift my mood!
 
I have a quick question about how long the steri-strips stay on. I got them when the staples came out at two weeks, and they've been there for two and a half weeks. Everything looks dry. They have loosened up on the edges but it stings a bit to tug on them. Wondering if they're simply stuck on hairs. Should I be more patient, or are they ready to come off?
 
I ripped mine off after a few days of having them. They weren’t really serving any purpose.
 
Really? I'm such a sissy. I think I might start working on them after a good icing!
 
@Agnes wow you’re amazing. You’ve been through so much and yet you’re so positive. Reading other’s threads puts things in perspective. I have little to complain about. I only hope I can take a leaf from your book and become as upbeat as you. I’ve had a few really rough days but reading your story makes me readjust my thoughts. Good luck to you. I’ll be reading your posts x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Maybe try removing them while they are wet in the shower. That’s what I did.
 
I agree with Jockette. It's something about that hot water that makes it easier to bend our knees.
 
The steri-strips are gone! Also, I have gone up a few stairs with the new knee! No pain, just feels weird. @shelli22 Thanks for the compliment! Honestly, it feels like all I do is complain these days. My sainted husband could tell some stories.

My nausea has subsided somewhat and I haven't been lightheaded since Tuesday. Dare I hope I've turned a corner? I finally feel strong enough to follow through on the repeat mammogram with ultrasound next week. I have to believe it is nothing, because I've had enough medical issues already this year!
 
How wonderful that you are feeling so much better. Just remember, the knee loves to pay you back for doing too much, so take it very easy as you increase your activities. You don't want an angry knee!
 
Yay for being able to climb stairs! Good luck with your mammo and ultrasound. I’m praying everything turns out ok. Hugs...
 
Good luck Agnes. You have been thru way too much.
 
Back
Top Bottom