Guest viewing is limited

THR Puddin is on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does 'fake a good walk' mean? :)
 
"Fake a real walk" means.....for a few seconds, I can look like I have no limp! But it doesn't last very long.
 
Puddin, how's that fake walk coming along? How long do you have PT for and who have you been working with at EM? Just curious, you know...
 
dede62, all done with PT! I was working with Chelsea and Kelly. I have a great time when I go!
 
Uh oh!!!! :sorry: I have a bad sinus infection!! I got sick on the 5th of April and its still here. I went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me some Amoxicillin and told me we have to hit this HARD! If I am not better in 10 days, I have to go back. :boohoo: I know that if I go to the dentist or anything, I was already prescribed Amoxicillin to prevent infection. But this sinus thing, I didn't even think this would affect my implant. :shrug: I'm not scared, I'm not scared! I will make it, I will be fine! :) It's just now, I am so tired and drained, all I can think about is my hip. :mcoffee:
 
lol, I can fake a good walk as well. I feel like I'm doing great but I still have a little "wobble". Some do seem to recover much faster than others though, like Barbara. I mean, 10 days after surgery and quit using her cane, wow. My doc made me stay on my walker for 3 weeks before switching to a cane. Crazy

My only concern is that titanium will skyrocket in value like Gold has. If that happens, people may start seeing us as banks. That would be one painful withdraw to go through...lol
 
ukisgr8 Hahahaha! I know, right!?!? I'm getting better at it too! I can look and feel pretty normal going down the stairs, but going up is still one at a time. It's the only thing that doesn't feel quite right.

If that happens with titanium, we will have to wear shirts that say "driver does not carry cash"!! :loll:
I think that was the amoxicillin talking :martini:
 
Puddin Hey! So sorry you have come down with a sinus infection! Hope you recover quickly! What do you mean about you're not scared? Can a sinus infection affect your implant? Now I'm all worried about the next time I get one because it seems I always get one in the winter and especially with kids bringing home all the germs!
 
Puddin, hope the antibiotics knock it out. I had a bad cold in February and I really watched it close in case it decided to turn on me. Luckily, I came out without any issues. I love working with all of the folks at EM. I really got close with Kelly after I took his B/B class. I didn't work out too much with Chelsey. I had mostly Shanon and Mark for my PT.

Teacat, yes you need to watch any infection you get and be very proactive if you think anything is infected (even ingrown toenails). My doc gave me a whole list of things to watch for (UTI's, ingrown toenails, sinus infections, etc). Normally your body can fight off most little stuff, but if it gets beyond what is "normal" you need to get to your GP and get started on the antibiotics. Infections can go into the bloodstream and make a bee line to your hip/implant. I know my doc also requires Lifetime antibiotics for ANY dental work. He's very adamant about it (I even checked in with him a few months ago after that article came out from AAOS/ADA). Someone told me it's better to be safe than sorry - I know I don't want to have to go through any additional surgery on that hip if I can help it!

Ukisgr8, don't worry, that wobble will work itself out in a few weeks. Keep using the cane until you really don't have any more limp. I went back to work at 6 weeks and probably kept using the cane for at least 2-3 weeks longer (especially towards the end of the day when I was tired). I left it in the car for another month, just in case I needed it and it wouldn't be too far away. You may still experience some of that "startup" pain after getting out of a chair/car for a few more weeks. I was probably about 14 weeks when I first noticed I could just get up and walk without having to stretch first or have those first few wobbly steps. It really does get better in fairly short order.
 
Sorry, I am finally over the sinus infection!! It almost lasted the whole 10 days!! Wow!! But about 5 days not it, I got really nervous I wasn't getting any better. I talked to my surgeons office, they said that if it isn't over n a day or two, contact my doctor and get it handled. I didn't realize a sinus infection could affect me so bad. So, technically, I had it for three weeks, but it was never bad enough to get into my blood!! The bad part about it, for us females, is YES, considering they gave me super strength amoxicillin, I got a yeast infection. But thank god it wasn't bad. It's the second one that I have ever had in my entire life, but no lie, the day after I talked to my mom, she said "watch it, it will give you a yeast infection"!!!! Wow, Mom's are always right.

So I survived, I feel much better. I finally get to have my dental cleaning next month and my 4 month hip check visit, and I should be good to go for appointments this year! Phew!!
 
Sorry to gate crash someone else's thread, but is this infection warning just in place in the US, as I'm not sure that I am aware of it being standard practise here in the UK?
 
Not sure of that answer Firebrand, I just know I was told before surgery and after several times. Any type of infection, if bad enough, can get into the blood stream and go straight to the implant. As dede62 stated, even having a simple dental cleaning requires an antibiotic to be taken and hour before the cleaning. It sure mad em nervous, but it worked out fine.
 
Hi there,

Probiotics (and PreBiotics)... yes, I take probiotics usually at the same time a course of antibiotics and I certainly have felt better for it.

Although lately I have questioned whether to wait until the end of the antibiotic course, as antibiotics are indiscriminate and therefore as fast as the probiotic is populating, the antibiotic is destroying.. So I started to question if I was wasting money until I had completed the antibiotic course?

But then I have repeatedly found with the ongoing UTI's that present as part of my Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), (all too often for my liking) taking the probiotic with the antibiotic has certainly lessened the Candida side effects that I used to endure. In fact my latest one month double course of antibiotic treatment for a severe kidney infection required, the strongest antibiotic that tested sensitive to the culture and I was concerned that I would present with Candida.. But I didn't, so that provided me first hand evidence that my taking the antibiotic and probiotic together produced the efficacy that I was after.. one tip though, I always take the probiotic 20 mins or so before food and the antibiotic.. That has been a more effective method for me.

So here is a little of the science..

Dr. Selman Waksman [1964] coined the term antibiotic which he defined as any substance produced by a microorganism that kills or inhibits the growth of other microorganisms.

Probiotics are bacteria that interfere and kill pathogens but the mechanisms employed by these agents in preventing infection and disease vary. At the other end of the spectrum PreBiotics describes a "substance(s)” secreted by one microorganism which stimulates the growth of “another" microorganism. Collectively the nutrients that probiotics need for “survival” are called PreBiotics.

How do probiotics work...

Probiotic agents block sites pathogenic agents need for adherence to surfaces and simultaneously activates innate and adaptive components of the immune system. The multipronged attack by probiotics are more efficient than just relying on antibiotics to disrupt cell wall structures and or poison metabolic pathways in pathogenic agents.

The World Health Organization defines probiotics as “live microorganisms” which when administered in adequate amounts confers a health benefit on the host. Probiotics are bacteria and the successful growth of these organisms depends on indigestible carbohydrates that are available in thousands of different plants and fruits. Collectively the nutrients that probiotics need for “survival” are called prebiotics. The term synbiotic is used when probiotics and prebiotics are presented together. A major role of probiotics is to protect the host by displacing and preventing colonization of pathogenic agents. That is, infection is reduced and disease prevented when pathogenic agents are not successful in adhering to sites in the gastrointestinal tract [GI], upper and lower respiratory tracts, colon, genitals, and urinary tract.

Other equally important mechanisms employed by probiotic in disease prevention include the production of bacteriocins and other products that result in a drastic change in pH with the creation of an acidic environment to hinder the survival of pathogenic agents. It is well documented that probiotics enhances immune activation and the subsequent production of antibodies of IgM, IgG and IgA classes. Antibody isotypes such as IgM and IgG target the pathogenic agents for destruction by complement proteins and phagocytic cells.

Cellular immune mechanisms are enhanced by probiotic agents with a subsequent recruitment of macrophages to damage and destroy pathogenic agents.

Citation: British Microbiology Research Journal 3(1): 42-57, 2013

sharonslp, Puddin, Firebrand .. And if course anyone interested :)... octopus... I was thinking about you with your toe infection.. I believe I posted about probiotics on your thread?
 
p.s.

In 2006 the European Union [E.U.] banned the use of antibiotic growth promoters in animal feed supplementation but allowed the use of probiotics as a viable alternative to antibiotics [22]. Probiotic feed supplementation benefits the animal host directly, by preventing infection and augmenting the host's immune responses as described above. :)
 
Thanks Poppet, I did buy some when I got my second course of antibiotics, but because they needed to be in the fridge, I kept forgetting to take them. Now I've finished course three I'm trying to remember. I don't want to waste $30 of product again. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom