THR Psoas tendonitis post-THR

Day 30 today, and really feeling like every day that goes by is a step closer to getting back to normal. I'm using the cane almost exclusively, although my PT wants me to use a four-wheeled walker for my 10 minute daily walk. I'm still not walking as long as they suggested or doing as much exercise, because I feel really stiff and sore afterwards. Much as I want to progress, I definitely don't want to overdo it. I expect I'm probably erring on the side of caution, but I think that's okay.

The nausea and night sweats are pretty well a thing of the past, though I'm still struggling with constipation. And my energy level is improving. All in all I'm pretty happy with where I am and I have a lot to be grateful for.

Next step is a follow up with the PT on April 15... I'll be 6 weeks out then and looking forward to being able to drive! Wow!

I'm still not walking as long as they suggested or doing as much exercise, because I feel really stiff and sore afterwards.
This is the approach to take. There is no need to "push through" any activity. Do what you can as long as it doesn't cause an increase in pain. Slow and steady does it!

Today is day 37, so five and a half weeks out. Even though I know it's a big mistake to compare my recovery to others, I can't help but notice that some of us on the forum seem to be a lot farther along in the recovery process. What I can do is walk 10 or 15 minutes once a day (with a four wheeled walker as per my PT's instructions); spend a fair bit of the day on my feet doing stuff around the house, most of it without the two wheeled walker I use indoors; go up and down the stairs four or five times with a cane; and do one or two sets of the exercises they gave me. After that, I generally wake up the next day feeling pretty stiff and sore, though that may just be from laying in one position for 10 hours.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that where I'm at is entirely normal and that I don't have to feel like I need to do more in order to progress faster. Assuming of course that that's true!

@Sashimu i think your doing quite well actually! We’re right about at same time post op and I’m 34 and I walk around unassisted and I always have moments where I get bummed I can’t do certain things! To me, coming from intense weight lifting, CrossFit workouts, police job, and chasing 3 kids under 5 years old to the only thing I’m able to do it walk around and struggle to bend down to pick something off the floor, I’d say ur doing great!

You doing ur pt exercises all the time as u should is an encouragement to me and a kick in the butt at the same time because I forget or just plain don’t do the exercises unless I go in to PT 2-3 days a week! Other than that I’m just trying to keep up with my kids which I think is why I tend to skip doing my exercises because I feel like I overdo it with my children!

However I still have aches and pains here and there...... have trouble sleeping on operated side and several other “issues” that I just think are our own “normal” parts of our recoveries! (ie. Still feels weird sitting on a non padded chair, still feels different/weird standing up(from sitting) and laying down! Knowing my operated side is soooooooooo much weaker than non operated side......and my list goes on!)

I give you allllll the credit having it done and sticking with it! It’s great to have this group over great people to lean on, learn from and bounce things off of!

Keep on keeping on!

@Sashimu - I am 4 days behind you in recovery, Having said that, we all come to this from different starting points. I was limping around for months before surgery in tons of pain. Before that, I was a runner for many years and then I cycled when I couldn’t run any longer. I think that helps with stamina and my pain threshold. I also have two teenagers, two dogs, a husband working from home, and a job. They all demand a lot of attention - I often “do” without thinking and pay the price with soreness a few hours later and sometimes I need to take a day to rest.

Now, I definitely feel achy when I don’t move enough and when I move too much. But it’s much less than before surgery. I think that’s the important point.

It will take time for all of us. For me, one leg still seems longer than the other — the doc says it will take a few more months to remedy that length/gait issue.
My neighbor had both hips replaced a couple of years ago (not at the same time). She had no history of exercise other than walking her dog, and each time she used a walker for over a month. She is in her mid-70’s and I have seen her out 3 times per day with her dog - she is very stable and enjoys getting out. If she’s tired she takes a walking stick. She has been my cheerleader!

You are a bionic woman now and I certainly hope that you, too, are suffering less pain than before your new hip. Everyone’s turning point is different - yours is coming!

You are well within the normal parameters of healing @Sashimu. Barely over a month into a 12 month recovery. Healing can vary from individual to individual or even one side to the other! Do you notice the difference between the healing pain you are dealing with and the pre-surgery grinding joint pain? When I reached that moment I knew everything would eventually be good, I just needed time to heal.

My deep thanks to everyone for their replies.... This forum is such a fantastic resource, to be able to talk to other people who are going through/have gone through what you're going through is incredibly valuable.

I feel greatly reassured and encouraged to keep on keeping on, as you said, @Humbleservant. Despite all the weird aches and pains that keep coming and going, you're right, it's definitely not like the pain before the surgery, @FCBayern. I'm looking forward to that turning point, @SCee, but I feel better now about where I am today.

Thanks again guys... Wishing us all a fabulous day. Here it's lovely, sunny and warm I'm happy to say, so I'll be able to enjoy sitting outside.

Today was my 7 week appointment with my surgeon. When I laid down on the table and he tested my leg strength in different directions, he wasn't happy either with my level of strength or with the amount of pain I felt when resisting the pressure of his hand, and was obviously surprised that I couldn't raise my right leg from the table at all. He asked if my pain was less than it was 3 weeks ago and I said no it's not.

Long story short, he said that at 7 weeks, most people are quite a bit further along in their recovery and that he was going to send me for a CT scan, and some blood work to rule out infection. That was not what I wanted or expected to hear; I thought he'd say that I was just overdoing it and shouldn't be on my feet as much. Guess not.

I'm feeling pretty anxious about my situation.

Well, that wasn't very encouraging of your surgeon! That straight leg lift is a bear and you could injure yourself trying too hard. I did, and it put me back 3 weeks. It will come, but it might not be on your surgeon's schedule.

I also had more pain than was expected, and for a longer period of time. It took me forever to come off the Tramodol, and then I was on a strict Tylenol schedule.

I'm one of the slower healers on this forum and my surgeon isn't happy with me, either. But you can't hurry healing.

I'm glad your doctor is checking it out with testing. The tests will show if something is really off. It's good he is thorough and not just ignoring issues. Please don't be too anxious. Stress can slow your healing, too.

Thanks @Schaargi, I found your words so helpful. I was pretty sure I couldn't be the only person that was taking longer than usual to heal, but it makes a big difference to hear from someone who's having a similar recovery process. And yeah I felt pretty discouraged when I left his office.

I could no more lift my leg up off the table today then I could fly to the moon... Seriously bad sensations when I try! But you're right, I'm glad he is investigating further. Keeping my fingers crossed that there's nothing lurking in there.

Forgot to mention that I also asked the surgeon about the "hip retroversion" that he fixed during the surgery. He had to remove extra bone in order to correct the angle of my hip socket so he could place the prosthesis, if I understood it correctly. I asked him if that might be a factor with my slow recovery and level of pain and he said it could, because it would have changed the whole body mechanics around my hips, over and above getting a new joint. In other words it's a new joint but its position has also changed from me original one.

He had to remove extra bone in order to correct the angle of my hip socket so he could place the prosthesis, if I understood it correctly. I asked him if that might be a factor with my slow recovery and level of pain and he said it could, because it would have changed the whole body mechanics around my hips, over and above getting a new joint. In other words it's a new joint but its position has also changed from me original one.

It seems to make sense then that your recovery could be a bit slower / longer, but your surgeon is covering all bases which is a good thing. I hope you have something scheduled soon so you can move forward with peace of mind. Please keep us posted.

Well I had an ugly little mishap last night. Standing in the kitchen chopping some zucchini; a few pieces fell on the floor, I stepped backwards from the stove, my heel landed on the zucchini and just as if it was a banana peel my leg slid straight backwards at speed! Of course, it was the surgical leg! The pain in my groin was so intense that I shrieked. I couldn't believe it! I think I said out loud, am I under a curse? It was almost funny if it didn't hurt so much. I've never done that before in my life so why now? Sheesh!

I spent the rest of yesterday and all of today so far in the recliner with my leg up and some ice on. All I can do.

Oh no! That’s awful and must have been frightening. I’m so sorry you’re hurting. Hopefully with the rest and icing you’re doing today it’s feeling a little better?
Wonderful news on your blood work and the ability to rule out infection. I’m happy to hear it. Take it easy and hopefully you’ll feel better soon. Hugs :console2:
@Sashimu

Well, maybe I can complain...just threw up again :-( gotta be the painkillers. Just put in a call to the surgeon's office.
I've been having surgery with this time around also. I had surgery on Wednesday morning and the surgery started after breakfast Thursday morning (threw up). Then continued throughout Thursday but just nausea. So I decided to cut back on the opiod (Percocet) and up the Tylenol with the advice of the home health PT who visited Thursday afternoon. So now I'm cutting the Percocet in half (down to 5 mg oxoycodone plus 172 acetomenophine) and an extra 500 mg acetomenophine two hours later. I repeat the Percocot/Acetomenophine cycle every 6 hours. It really helped reduce my nausea and my pain is still bearable.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with nausea, @BarbyDoll--glad you found a painkiller regimen that works for you. For me it was a toss-up which was more unpleasant: nausea or pain.

Oh no! That’s awful and must have been frightening. I’m so sorry you’re hurting. Hopefully with the rest and icing you’re doing today it’s feeling a little better?
Wonderful news on your blood work and the ability to rule out infection. I’m happy to hear it. Take it easy and hopefully you’ll feel better soon. Hugs :console2:
@Sashimu
Thanks Layla... Mercifully I am doing better today. No serious harm done I hope!

No serious harm done I hope!
If you had done something truly harmful (i.e. dislocation) you would have been on the floor in great agony. A minor set back yes, but I'm sure with ice and elevation everything will settle down.

Oh no @Sashimu that must have been so frightening! I’m glad to hear that you’re feeling better. Keep icing and elevating to get past this setback.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom