Revision THR Now Facing Left Hip Revision

how do I find out if my dislocations have been caused by use of wrong implants or implant positioning it seems very odd that I am having to have a custom made hip?
Having a custom made hip is nothing to do with the other issue. That's just the design of the device. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it was more likely to be a mal-alignment of implants is responsible for you dislocations. So I do hope you are not going back to your previous surgeon for this revision.

If you like, I would be happy to search you out an experienced hip surgeon in your neck of the woods but first I would need to know the name of your present surgeon and hospital.

Dear Josephine
Professor Hart is my present surgeon and yes I was going to get him to do the revision. Should I go elsewhere? Could you please kindly look at my Xrays , do you see a problem? One of the orthopaedic nurses at Salisbury seemed to think these dislocations were due to the components. To be honest Alister Hart has not treated me very well all along he has been very dismissive of my concerns. Trouble is I can’t pay for any more surgery and I don’t know what to do , I am in a right mess!

I hesitated to ascertain the same conclusion....but Jo will certainty be the one to ask.

I really feel for the situation you are in.
Hang on...

@ Beckford I so feel for you and know the anguish you must be going through, I have messaged you. As you know I have a difficult history and have had to change consultants along the way and although my problems are not fixed yet I am know with the right person for my particular problem. Trust when you are feeling vulnerable is very very hard. Big hugsxxx

I did ask Josephine about this very matter and she said to stick with Prof Hart at Stanmore., Now I don’t know what to do!!

Josephine knows best, but just to help yourself too, do your own research. When I had infection problems, I spent hours researching and booked 3 appointments with different consultants. Now I know for me I am with the best in the world for my problem. My surgeon would refer me on if there was the slightest chance anyone else could help me.

Josephine is our mentor, there for us all and with a lifetime of experience. No one can really understand how you are coping unless they have gone through it, after 3 dislocations I too was desperate. Everyone here is so supportive, all here to help.

xxxxxxxxx

Professor Hart is my present surgeon and yes I was going to get him to do the revision. Should I go elsewhere? To be honest Alister Hart has not treated me very well all along he has been very dismissive of my concerns.
@Beckford I am SO sorry. I completely forgot you were going to Stanmore! Shame on me for my last post. I'm sorry Alister's been off-hand with you but since he's organised the custom implant for you and he IS a good surgeon, let him do this for you.
Trouble is I can’t pay for any more surgery
You've been paying for surgery? Why, for heaven's sake?

Thank you that’s a relief I didn’t really want the added worry of trying to change consultants at this stage. Getting through Christmas has been really tough and since my Boxing Day dislocation I have felt so tired all I want to do is stay in bed or sit by my cosy wood burner but I do feel like I have really missed out on all the fun!
Every time it dislocates I seem worse and more stiff and sore and I have got to the point where even leaving the house is a big deal! I just don’t have any energy.
I just hope my custom implant will be ready soon I cannot carry on like this. I have heard they can take a few weeks to make but my patience is running out and each day I wake up feeling really down because I cannot do any of the things I enjoy!

I'm so sorry you are suffering.
Hang on...you are going to get this sorted.
Sending all the best Mojo your way !:roseshwr:

Last edited:
I'm sorry. My heart goes out to you.
Prayers for comfort and patience as you wait.
Hugs :console2:
@Beckford

Thank you so much I hope so too. My new hip is being made and I am waiting to hear when I will have my revision.
Happy New Year to you all
Jane

Please let us know when you hear something.
We're here for you.
Wishing you health and happiness in the New Year!
@Beckford

I had an email today from the registrar at Stanmore and I am to be seen in clinic on the 18th of January , meanwhile my new implant is being manufactured. Hopefully my revision will be mid February which seems such a long time to wait feeling bored, miserable and afraid. This will be my 5th acetabulum, this really really concerns me as I have not come across anyone having this many. The stem on the other hand is still the original one fitted over 20 years ago. I am wondering what my chances of succes this time will be! It’s frightening me to death.

I understand it's frightening but what are your alternatives? You can't continue existing in a state of misery and fear, anxiously awaiting the next dislocation. You need to move forward in faith and trust that this fix will be the last. We're here for support and encouragement as you move forward. Try to think positively about the upcoming surgery and believe it can be the last. Distract yourself as much as you can and try not to give into fear and negative thinking. I realize it's difficult, I understand why and my heart truly goes out to you but those thoughts are draining, stress inducing and unproductive. Try to surround yourself with people who can support and uplift you as you wait out the next six weeks. Consider speaking with a counselor, or clergy, if you think it may help. Wishing you comfort and peace of mind.
@Beckford

Thanks Layla, you are right I have to get this done and if I could have it done tomorrow I would, it’s the waiting that’s getting me down. This forum really helps, your continued support and care is wonderful. I must keep positive thoughts in my head!

After still complaining of pain , my recent MRI showed a pseudotumour. It’s quite large 10 x5 x3.5 cm. it appears to be contained within a capsule and possibly the residue of the haematoma I had post right hip revision. I have been advised that the fluid content can be drained using ultrasound and this can be done as an outpatient. However the solid content within the capsule will need cutting out as it’s like that if left if will simply fill with more fluid. I had blood tests taken and was assured no evidence of infection or metal allergy.
This is all new to me I had never heard of this condition before so any input would be helpful.
Feeling terrified!! [HASH=169]#pseudotumor[/HASH]

Last edited by a moderator:
After still complaining of pain , my recent MRI showed a pseudotumour. It’s quite large 10 x5 x3.5 cm. it appears to be contained within a capsule and possibly the residue of the haematoma I had post right hip revision. I have been advised that the fluid content can be drained using ultrasound and this can be done as an outpatient. However the solid content within the capsule will need cutting out as it’s like that if left if will simply fill with more fluid. I had blood tests taken and was assured no evidence of infection or metal allergy.
This is all new to me I had never heard of this condition before so any input would be helpful.
Feeling terrified!!

@Beckford
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom