Guest viewing is limited

Problem--Lymphedema and Knee Replacemnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not sure what they mean exactly by getting the Lymphedema under control. Why did you have to go barefoot? Did she ever open up the lymph glands in the groin so that the junk would flush out of your system? Were the bandages around your foot? I am confused! :wink:
 
I'm not sure what he means by getting it under control and I have them confused as I said yesterday that when I stop treatment it will swell up and nurse said hold on and went to talk to him and came back and said we'll get back with you. I truly don't think he knows much about lymphedema but that's a guess. I do have another call through the nurse of course--that is their procedure deal and said I think the doctor and I need to discuss this and not have a middle man meaning the nurse. The bandage went from the end my toes up to my knee. She did massage me but not up by my groin--I'm going to watch the videos tonight so I know what you are talking about. I'm at work right now.
 
In regards to the "rolling" that I was referring was that it is hard getting my foot into an open toed flip flop even and it moved the bandaging so it was rolled let's say--bunched up under my foot and the type of bandaging I couldn't unbunch it so had to take it off. In regards to confused I'm sorry.
 
Linderbelle, how frustrating for you. I think that the wrapping---I only had a wrap around my knee it self. It was about 20 inches long. I did find the wrapping quite effective and when I took it off, the swelling did not return.

So, two things, perhaps your doc needs to talk to the lymphadema specialist. There is no reason that she cannot wrap you in the hospital and maintain that wrapping for two or three weeks to mitigate the risk of infection. You will not be up and about that much during those first three weeks or so and so the wrapping will not bother you that much.

I think your doc will be comfortable talking to the lymphadema specialist. Also, talk with her yourself. How often does she see you wearing the wrapping? Does she think the effect will be temporary or permanent? what does she see as your role in the procedure and how long will it take for there to be permanent change?

You just need more info right now. As far as massaging the groin area--that is something you can do yourself four or five times a day---back to asking your therapist how you can help this process so that she can teach you how to do it.

However, I would be very reluctant to work with a doc who is "afraid" of your lymphadema and whose nurse is unprofessional enough to say that to you. You need a knee specialist who has seen lymphadema before and who understands that it is a treatable position. Also, he is so worried about infection--I wonder if he has had patients with infections in the past? Have you asked him what his infection rate is?

My doc, who is a knee specialist has an infection rate of less than .01%. You might have to go farther afield to get a better doc with more experience. Maybe an hour away? Remember that you will only see the surgeon once a year after the surgery and its immediate four or five visits, so it does not have to be a doc in your small town. I don't know where you live, but Jamie can help you find a knee specialist if you need one. Jamie

Remember, you are early in the process of finding a doc--but you do not have to "settle" for whomever is living in your town especially when he does not have enough respect to talk to you personally and also especially when his staff is so unprofessional. I would move on from him right away. There are tons of great doctors in this country, you do not have to agree to sub standard care. Kelly
 
The nurse has not said that he was afraid of me but that's the feeling I got and did ask her and asked if I needed to find another doctor. She was being put in the middle of a pretty serious talk by me and I do think it needs to be one to one meaning me and the doc. This doc did my knee replacement almost 2 years ago. I did have a hard time---I had scar tissue so my rom was pretty bad. Once I got manipulated it was an easy road. Manipulation was the best thing. I have talked to my therapist and I agree the two of them should be communicating. I was going to discuss this with her today but unfortunately she was out and sick and an associate of hers called and cancelled my appt today. Like I said earlier a pump has been ordered and hopefully that works. She did say that she thought the pump would be great after my knee replacement. You've given great advice and I'm taking it and he's going to have to answer my questions and if I'm not satisfied then its time to move on and find another. Right now I do have an appt. with another ortho in town who has been recommended highly to me from numerous people. Thanks Kelly and Sonja. I loved this board after my knee replacement two years ago as it was a lifesaver and I know I will be posting alot when the time comes which is soon I hope for this right one.

Linda
LKTR-6/2011
 
Linda, I am so glad that you are taking the time to interview other docs and to explore your options. I am sure you will be ready when you finally settle on the doc that you think will be best. K
 
Well, I never had a wrap, so that is an area that I do not know. I do know that if the open up the lymph glands in the groin area it allows the fluid to push through your system and be eliminated. Good luck to you. I will be watching as you talk to your doctor and your Lymphedema specialist!
 
Please let me know if you need any assistance finding possible surgeons for a second (or even a third) opinion. I suggest you start with our BoneSmart Find A Clinic Locator (tab at the top of the page) when or if you need to do some searching.
 
Sorry I haven't posted before this. Well, I'm actually doing the pump now--got it 2 weeks ago--doing a hour before I go to work and a hour in the evening which has not been a problem doing. Actually after about a week of starting this my knee felt good. A week ago I went back to my os to have the synvisc shot and turned it down saying I needed to test my knee--meaning to get out and walk as I've been babying it for 4 months. Well, on wednesday this week I did a test and was disappointment. The pain was there. I had the vaccine yesterday and doc said to give it 10 days. The os and I had a very serious conversation about 2 weeks ago about the lymphedema and how much pain I was in. We came to an agreement and I must say I admired him. He did tell me that he has operated on many in my condition and had 2 that did indeed lose their leg. I asked how long ago and he stated about 10 years and he hasn't done once since--meaning a lymphedema patient. We came to agreement that we must try everything before jumping the gun. That is where the synvisc shot came into it--I'm kind of jumping all around here in regards to time--sorry for that. Yesterday after receiving the shot I was told to give it 10 days. If this doesn't do anything then he recommends me going to an infectious disease doc to prep me for surgery. He is amazed at how much better my leg looks after using the pump and it does. If he saw it in the morning after pumping he would be amazed more as he has seen it in the afternoon. Today my knee is no different and can only pray at this point that the shot works. If it doesn't then to me I have no choice but to bite the bullet. Yes I'm concerned about my risk. He did state that yes my risk goes up but that doesn't mean I will get an infection. I just wanted to give an update. The thought of going through this all again is not exactly a happy moment as I had a very hard time. Fact before posting this I was reading my posts of two years ago which refreshed my memory of the hard time I did have.
 
Well all last friday while walking out from work I stepped off the curb and my knee buckled. I don't know how I managed not to fall but I didn't. Thank you Jesus!!! I hobbled to the car and couldn't hardly walk and got in and drove home. Got out of the car and still couldn't walk. Hung onto the car to walk around it and saw a gardening hoe and used it for a crutch for my right hand and using other objects like shelving, house to hang on with my left. Managed to get in the house to a chair and immediately called doctor's office. I was told if this happened again to go to ER and get a brace and made an appt. to see the doctor on monday (today). I then thought how am I going to get to the other part of the house and got up and it was ok so walked to the kitchen and got those gel ice packs (from previous knee replacement) and went and iced. About 3 times that night but decided I wasn't going to ER as they would do nothing. I had a quiet weekend and hubby and I discussed the scenario all weekend. I decided enough is enough and it's time for a replacement. I was and am terrified of this buckling and falling and breaking bones. Went to the doctor today and I am scheduled for the 23rd. I'm scared because of the lymphedema and also because I had such a hard time last time. Ended up getting manipulation although the manipulation was a blessing--was all uphilll after that. Anyways I'm back.
 
Wow...Linda what a time you've had. I'll be getting knee #1 done on the 22nd so we'll be recovering together. I'm certainly hoping this time will be easier for you.
Joyce
 
Thanks Joyce and I pray you have easy time also. This site was and will be a lifesaver.
 
Can I ask what causes this condition? Is it caused from previous surgery?
 
Getting nervous all. Tuesday is the day. I had the left knee done two years ago and now the right one. Have seen the infectious disease doctor and he rated my lymphedema as a B+ so I thought that was really good. A+ would be better --lol. The only thing I need to do to prepare is wash with hepiclens (spelling?) every other day and then of course night before surgery and the morning of. Two years ago I had an awful time and ended up getting manipulated. The pain is all too fresh in my mind. I'm in alot of pain now and hard to even walk. Sooooooooooo hate to go through this again.
 
Good luck for Tuesday Linda!! Hope you have a much easier recovery than the last time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom