Standard Shoulder Replacement Potential Shoulder Replacement Candidate

@Jayhawk What a wonderful update. I'm glad to hear that you'll err on the side of caution in your recovery and future training. Unfortunately, for many of us in the senior category, the odds of a tear are much higher than they are for the younger set. I hear my OS's advice in my ear a lot: just nothing too extreme. A bit vague but allows us to be individuals. I always judge an activity by how embarrassed I'd be injuring myself and then explaining to my OS why I thought the activity was such a good idea. Lol.

I know the PT can be boring. Maybe talk them into a little more hands on gentle stretching. That was always my favorite part. I was also amazed at how tight those muscles could get in between sessions. Blessings for continued good healing and rehab. Keep us posted.
 
I know it's been a few years, but -- since you've now had all three -- we'd love it if you would share your thoughts on this topic when you have a chance.
Once I have fully recovered from my surgery and back to normal activities, will provide my opinion on all three procedures.
 
I am now week fifteen post-procedure......met with my doctor week thirteen. I feel I am completely recovered.....no discomfort or any other issues. My range of motion is excellent. Per my physical therapists doing fantastic.....way ahead of the curve. I was hoping to be released for normal activities.

However......per Edwards, still have restrictions, so guess I am not 100 percent recovered!!! He does not want me to return to any resistance training until after six months. Damn!!! He is adamant that it takes that time frame for the subscapularis ligamenet to completely heal. He stressed that if I am patient, the shoulder prothesis should last my life time!!

He did give me permission to begin swinging a golf club again......that is a real positive. Also, extended my orders for physical therapy at their discreption.

Working with my personal trainer on core conditioning.....he is very sensitive to the restrictions with my left shoulder.


Steve
 
@Jayhawk This is a terrific update! It is so hard to be patient when you’re feeling so good. It is so important that you follow the restrictions to the letter. The last thing you need is to undo all the great work and healing you’ve had by stressing that subscapularis and possibly tearing it! Yikes!

That patience will be rewarded in full in just a short span of time and you can be truly proud of yourself and the work you’ve put in. It’s hard to describe the feeling of gaining that pain free shoulder movement again in all your favorite activities. It is so worth all of that hard work as you will experience very soon. We’re so happy for you. Keep us posted.
 
Patience is always the toughest part of recovery. But you have your eye on the prize and I know you’ll be glad you followed your surgeon’s advice on a full return to all your activity. You’re right that a great surgeon and therapist are priceless in this process. Glad you have had both.
 
Week 20 update

After a discussion witrh my physical therapists we have mutually agreed that I stop formal physical therapy. Will continue on my own (with my trainer) until I get a complete release from Edwards. That appointment is the first week of September.

Zero issues......except for patience!!!!!!

Steve
 
Great update!

I hear you about patience. My surgeon kept telling me "the most important muscle to exercise during recovery is the Patience Muscle." In my opinion, it's also the hardest to exercise! :heehee:
 
Excellent! Isn't it amazing to write "20 week update?" I know there is still some work to do but look how far you've come. I remember feeling elated that I'd gone ahead and gotten my surgery. It was so worth it. I still say a prayer of gratitude every time I swim, cast a fishing line, or even just sleep without that pain. May the healing continue and life just keep getting better and better.
 
Six month update

Had my six months appointment with Edwards.

After a series of movement and strength checks, he stated that my subscapularis tendon is completely healed……I can return to normal activities (exercises),. Any that I want. No restrictions.

He stated I am doing excellent!!! Also, my range of motion and strength will only increase over the next six months. I have restarted sessions with my trainer and he was very impressed with my current range of motion……especially compared to where I was pre-procedure.

Scheduled to return in six months…….x-rays and measurements at that time. My age and recovery progress are part of a study Edwards is doing for which I committed.

I will say, of my other joint replacement recoveries (knees and hip)…..this has been the most discomfort-free. Did not say pain-free intentionally……..no real pain. Did not take any narcotic pain medication after leaving the hospital.

While basically pain-free…..it has also been the most inconvenient recovery. The weight restrictions were difficult to work with.......limits on my level of exercise and normal activities.. Six months versus several weeks for total recovery.

My first two weeks of physical therapy were performed in a pool. After going through physical therapy for both knees and a hip…….believe that was definitely a “plus” in my successful recovery process.

Another plus……my physical therapist was very experienced in joint replacement rehab (30+ years), and instrumental in my successful recovery. She was constantly "pulling the reins" to prevent me from being overly aggressive in my therapy. Slowly increased the intensity level of rehab.


In all seriousness…….

The most difficult part of my entire journey……..the requirement to be patient with the recovery process; the 1 hour to 1 ½ hour one-way drive to the Fondren Orthopedic Hospital where Edwards practices (depending on traffic) and wearing that “damn” sling (fortunately only had to have for one week).

Lastly…..

Last October I met with my long-time family sports medicine orthopedist……have know him for almost forty years. Over the years he has seen my entire family……wife, daughters, son-in-laws, grandkids, mom. I wanted to get his input on my situation. He basically pleaded with me to have a shoulder replacement. We have played golf together over the years and he assured me that I would definitely be able to swing a golf club again after the procedure.

His endorsement was the deciding factor in my decision to have the procedure.

I went to see him again two weeks ago.......to thank him for his role in my journey. However, I was worried that he might be upset that I did not use the doctor in his practice for my procedure (one of the doctors I interviewed). He told me he had been following my rehab progress through the physical therapy notes......used his physical therapy facility. He endorsed my decision and said that he had known Edwards for a long time and considered him to be one of best......referred patients to Edwards until he added a "shoulder specialist" to his practice.

I told him that he owed me $3,500……the cost of buying new technology golf clubs to replace my old clubs. He “winked” at my wife and said…..”send me the bill”!!!!!!


Steve
Klein, Tx
 
@Jayhawk Excellent update! Congratulations on your recovery and now fully functional shoulder. :yay: :yes!::cheers:
 
This is fabulous news. You’ve done well managing the impatience that can come with this type of surgery and now you’ll reap the rewards. Congratulations!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom