THR Post Op - Techniques for closing incision

Hello Skydove,
Stopping by to check in and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary. I hope you’re hanging in there and not in too much discomfort or pain. With any luck you were able to talk with your OS, or get an appointment earlier than the 24th. If not, only a week now until your scheduled date. Let us know how you’re doing as time allows, before or after your appointment.
Comfort and healing to you as you’re waiting. :console2:
@Skydove
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, dear BoneSmart buddy! :wave:
I hope you’re doing well. Please leave an update next time you’re around, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you all the best!
@Skydove
 
@Skydove - I reread your posts from the beginning for context. I also googled “trochanter fracture and hip replacement” - and learned you are not the only one to experience this complication (which apparently can happen years after surgery, not just so soon as in your case!). So you are definitely not alone.

I ask myself what I would do in your situation, understanding the geographical challenges as well as other comments you have shared about your surgeon. Everyone is different and I know very little (apart from what you’ve reported) about health care where you are. So I don’t really know what I would do…just what I think I might want to do, especially while confined to bedrest for a few weeks: (1) learn as much as I could about this kind of fracture; (2) learn as much as possible about any other surgeons experienced with this complication (perhaps more experienced with it than your current OS; and (3) see if I might schedule a consultation with such a person remotely (by phone or e-Visit) to see what they suggest. What I hope you can find: a caring person who is not only an expert in this area but compassionate as well! Sending strength and caring thoughts. Keep us all posted!
Thank you so much Seattle, you thoughtful reply has given me a few ideas. I am now 3 and a half months post fracture. I have a Bursa on the original hip replacement on the left, about the size of a fist and now the same, another Bursa roughly that size on the right. Both very painful. Have had Xrays, CT’s and injections for this but nothing helps. The last injection was incredibly painful, so I won’t be having injections anymore. I am limping now as the Bursas are very painful. I sometimes feel like I need to limp on both legs. Anyway, at least I can now walk which is a big improvement. Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks to everyone who replied as it is all great information that I will follow up on. You are all dear caring people and I value your support and help.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, dear BoneSmart buddy! :wave:
I hope you’re doing well. Please leave an update next time you’re around, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you all the best!
@Skydove
Hi Layla,

I had a telephone appointment with my OS who said that the hip replacement most likely caused the fracture. ‍ anyway, I am now able to walk. I have Bursas the size of a fist on both hip replacements and I guess I am lucky as I can walk despite everything. The lymphoedema complicates things as well. But nevertheless I am slowly recovering. I have done it on my own as there is no help from the medical profession here.

It is a strange thing in Australia, if you have Private Health coverage you can choose your own surgeon, you can choose the hospital and the date and time of your surgery but you do not get Physio afterwards nor do you get any aids such as crutches, leg lifters, shower stool, walkers, nor Occupational Therapists. If you want any of these things you have to buy them and the allied health professionals fees are hundreds of dollars per visit.

If you do not have Private Health coverage, then you get everything free. Surgeon, Hospital, aids, allied health and they even schedule in post operative visits, therapy swimming etc. all free. It always amazes me as it makes me feel like the Govt is discouraging people from having private health coverage. Anyway, just thought I’d mention it.

So, I was in hospital for 1 day for the fracture and then went home the day before xmas and basically managed my own recovering without any Physios, OT’s or aids, I couldn’t walk at all and had to do it all on my own as even though I have Private Health, I could not afford the post-operative care. So my sister who had a free specialist surgeon, free hospital for a TKR then went off and had physio, OT’s, swim therapy and got everything including the aids free and I sat at home on my own without any help due to the fact that I have Private Health coverage and they would not pay for these “extras”. What a system, hey!!

Anyway, can walk now if somewhat limpy and painful, it is still movement on my own, which is a blessing.

Thanks so much Layla for your caring replies. Most appreciated. Better end this now as it is getting like “War and Peace” tee-hee.
 
Hello @Skydove
It‘s always nice to hear from you. Thank you for your kind words.
I’m sorry for the health coverage issues you’ve dealt with. It does seem unfair. I’m happy you’re doing better though. It’s going to be five months since surgery soon, so I want to wish you a Happy Five Month Anniversary in case you don’t stop back for a time. Wishing you all the best as you continue healing.
Stay in touch. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom