Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op swelling and stiffness<<

Not "if too thin they will install a button". They only shave the articular surface of the patella TO put in a button. If it was too thin, they wouldn't touch it at all.
Thank you, Josephine, I was afraid I had it wrong. The only thing I did know was that it wasn't a patellectomy that she was asking about!
 
Well since there is no such thing as a patellar implant, he must have meant the patellar button. That's the only option. Sometimes we medical people do tend to drop into the vernacular! Sorry about that!
 
Josephine and sistersinhim I wonder if either of you can tell me how long the swelling and tenderness above my knee is likely to last. It’s where the scar ends and goes upwards. I don’t really know how to explain where it is only to say it’s where the pad above the knee is. Very tender to touch and had been since surgery

Thank you
 
You're still very early in your recovery, just 1/4 of the way through it. Swelling and tenderness is still normal. Are you still icing and elevating? If not, try that and she if it helps that area.
 
can tell me how long the swelling and tenderness above my knee is likely to last
That's what we call one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions! It varies for numerous reasons.

how to explain where it is inky to say
Sorry, I really don't understand this phrase. What did you mean by "inky"?
 
@sistersinhim
Do you know about a tendon that runs from hip to knee?
I’m not sure what it’s called. Something like ilio.,,...,,
I’m asking as I have a really tight bit running down along my outer thigh . Feels tender and when it gets to the outer side of the knee, it feels quite painful.
Coming downstairs is really uncomfortable
I hoe you can get an idea of what I’m talking about

Thank you
 
@sistersinhim
Hi again.
It’s called the iliotibial. It runs from the hip to the side of the knee
I have a very tight area running from the top of my outer thigh to the outer side of my knee.
It’s very uncomfortable walking down the stairs and feels very tight and pulling.
The bit at the side of my knee actually is very tender to touch.

Can you also tell me if, over time these tendons ligaments and muscle get back to how they should be. Without soreness or tenderness?
Thank you
 
Did you read the article that I gave you. It's all about the IT Band. You can also find more information online. I found some more exercises for it after googing 'IT Band' exercises. I really feel better after doing them.
 
@sistersinhim
@Celle @Josephine
I have read all your replies. Thank you everyone
I am seeing my chiropractor tomorrow so hopefully he’ll know what to do to help me too.

Is this a common problem after TKR?
Has this happened because I’ve stopped exercises?

Many thanks
 
No, it definitely hasn't happened because you stopped exercises. ITB inflammation is often the result of too much exercise.
 
@Celle
Thank you for you quick reply.
I was so worried that it had been caused by not exercising now.

Would having this IT problem explain why when I go downstairs that I get a pulling at the side of my thigh and tightness on my knee when it’s bending to come down the step?

Does this inflammation clear up over time?

At first I thought it was muscle strain but as I started getting hip pain too when sitting I thought there must be a connection.... would this be right?

I appreciate your response, so thank you

Regards
 
I think the answers to most of your questions are in the article I gave you.
Yes, it will settle down, given time and the appropriate treatment, as suggested in the article.
 
@Josephine

Hi Josephine

I saw my chiropractor today and after I had described the problem he said it was the IT band.

He explained the workings of it, and, as you say, very common after TKR. Also he said that 3 of the exercises I had previously been doing were definitely not advised in his opinion ie standing on the leg weight bearing. Stair lunges and floor lunges. He said these had more than likely aggravated it so as you say “ caused by exercises“ He gave me a massage treatment and I’m seeing him again next week.

Unfortunately I forgot to tell him about the uncomfortable feeling on the lower inside of the thigh but I suspect it’s all connected.

Thank you so much for your reply and help .
It’s very much appreciated

Regards
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom