Post Op questions THP (1st) June 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hipalonghopalong Enjoy the pampering and getaway. It won't be long now before you are on the other side moving on to your new pain free life. Best wishes on the surgery next week. You will do great.
 
What a great idea to round out the final days before surgery - spa and cottage weekend. I hope you are able to really forget and enjoy yourself. I am 3 days out of surgery and using both walker and crutches at home. I agree with others who've said you need the walker for the first few days. Crutches are do-able but the walker is more stable. Wishing you the very best on your surgery.
 
I was wondering if anyone left the hospital with only a cane and not a walker? I have my pre op appointment with all the staff this week and they will provide me with the list of "goodies" I will need.
But I am hoping that I can HOPalong without a walker. Am I delusional?


Well, I am not planning on getting a walker, so a cane better do it for me!
 
Most hospitals take you out to the curb in a wheelchair for liability reasons.

I also heard that the security cams in hospitals take pictures of the patients on the way out like the cams at the end of the log ride at an amusement park for friends and relatives to purchase to post on your facebook page before you get home and get off the TED stocking.

And more important than the choice of cane, walker, or crutches is the color of the cane, walker, or crutches. A flat black or dark blue is best for younger patients. Silver or chrome looks best on middle-aged. The really old and feeble should stick with the pearlized blue or red. Mix matching the age and color is a medical fashion faux pas that could ruin your recovery.
 
If you don't have a cane, I ordered mine for around $30 at fashionable canes.com. Huge variety. I got one that can be folded up and carried in bag or purse so can take with me in case needed when out and about :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
last day until pre op. I will be busy buying my supplies today. I did get a cane last week. The Physio said they do not think I will need a walker and may only go home with a cane. Time will tell I guess but since I want to walk at the lake I did get a cane for stability. I also found some wonderful waterproof post op bandages that will allow me to shower and feel much better post op. My spa day was amazing and I did feel so much better afterwards... plus cleaner hehe.
Surgery is tomorrow at 7:45am first one of the day hope the doctor and staff will have had their morning coffee and a good nights sleep!:alarm:
Thank you for all the positive thoughts and words....cant wait to be a "Hippie" and shake "it" again. :happyfeet::chuckmarch:
 
Best wishes on your surgery Tuesday!
Positive thoughts coming your way...
:walking:
 
Good luck! There will be a lot of people on here thinking of you.

The spa-day idea is a great one...I may have to try it myself. ;)
 
Positive thoughts coming your way:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
First, good luck tomorrow. I had my pre-op hospital visit today, I am ready to roll on my second THR (right) next Monday, June 23rd.

About walker vs cane/crutch: I had my first THR (left) 18 mos ago. I was given a set of elbow crutches, a walker, a grabber tool, and a shower seat. I used them all. When I was practicing walking in the hospital, I used the single crutch and also used the walker, just to learn both with help from the hospital PT. I went to my car in a wheelchair, used the walker to help get over to the curb to the car, got in, and when I got home I used the crutch to go up 6 steps to my house. In the house, the great visiting PT had me practice walking with the walker, I did miles inside for about a week; then he switched to the crutch, which I did for a week (miles inside, and a little outside); then the third week I walked on my own.

All the tools are useful, and if a walker helps, use it. After a week or two more or less you will get rid of it and the crutch or cane anyway, no need to worry. And a good PT will help you to know what is best.

Again, good luck!!

Mark
 
You will find hipalonghopalong in the Hip Replacement Recovery forum---her new thread is entitled "Now Hipping & Hopping Along."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom