Guest viewing is limited

THR Post-op problem - dislocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
redduke,
Josephine our forum nurse is having technical problems, she will be here to advise when she is back online.
Sounds like you already have good advice and are feeling better.
 
@redduke the belt from a bathrobe or a dog leash work just as well as that fancy leg lifter - but might save you a bit of money.

Be sure and read the article about elevation. Not too high and you need your legs well supported. Ice as well - it's a natural pain killer.
 
@redduke Yes, a belt or leash can be used. We patients can get very inventive. I learned to use my R foot to put my sandel on surgery foot and do up straps. As I have no movement on surgery leg, from the ankle down. So getting a shoe on is very difficult. I could use my toes on my good leg to do my things, nurses called it my monkey foot. You will gradually come up with your own adaptations. Its good to hear, you have the 2 dogs, books, and a great view to help in your recovery. My little dog is always by my side. I agree with you, hopefully our posts will help someone that goes through this in the future! I know I wanted information and answers and no one had any. Remember to always keep your knees lower than your hips to.

It sounds wonderful where you live. I miss living in the country. I will look forward to reading about your recovery.
 
@Pumpkln
Thanks for letting me know about the nurse and yes I am getting important information from this site...
Can I ask you a couple of questions please?
1) Can I get notification on my personal email account when there has been activity on my threads?
2) How do I send a private message?

Thanks again...Simon
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey
I'll try out the dog leash and bathrobe belt later. I had to get out of be twice last night for the call of nature and I have undone some of the good work of the last couple of days by using my good leg to lift the leg of the replacement side in and out of the bed. The dull pain at the joint has returned. :-(
 
@3rd Dislocation
Hello again,
I just use slip-on slippers for the moment and I bought some slip-on shoes prior to the op just so I could dress myself using a shoe horn. Hopefully I can use the shoes after a couple of weeks of improvement.
Something else has come up unfortunately. I had the right hip replaced and I have noticed that my right shoulder is experiencing some pain as I have heavily relied on it since the op with the walking sticks. So I think I'm going to reduce my walking a little over the next couple of days.
I also have a dull pain in the region of the operated joint. I had this prior to the dislocation so it's a little disconcerting. I think this was caused by me going to the bathroom last night twice by myself as I didn't want to wake up my other half at 1:00 and 4:00 in the morning.
So it'll be a day of rest today and probably tomorrow too.
But today is my first home visit from a physio and I'm very much looking forward to discussing my progress with him/her. I'll let you know if they come up with any tips that I haven't already heard about.
 
1) Hover over your username top right, click on preferences, on that page check the box that says send me e mails on threads I create.
2) Hover over In Box top right, a drop down menu will appear, click on start a new personal message. When you receive a PM a small number will appear next to your in box.
 
@redduke, very wise to buy slip on shoes and to rest your shoulder, it does make a difference. I had to reduce my walking, as my L shoulder is prone to dislocating, since I was 15. It has severe OA and I had to use a specialized walker, I had severe pain after using it for a few weeks. It was great when I was allowed 1 crutch on my R side. Try applying heat, like a water bottle. I found it helped alot. Try and not worry too much, it puts extra strain on the body. I found 4 other threads with people, who have dislocated. They seem to be getting on with life. They were all this year too. Main thing is to do something that helps you be up beat. It wont be long before you are making music again. Let those fur buddies keep you company, mine is always by me. Remember be gentle and follow the mantras.
Is the belt working to get the leg into bed. I was told not to use my other foot to help get the surgery leg into bed, rather risky. Keep updating as you are able. How did your therapy session go. Hopefully it was helpful! You are in my thought and prayers!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@redduke .... we have a whole forum with articles on how to use the forum that may be helpful for you. You can find it under the Help & Info tab at the top of the page. Just mouse hover over the tab and you'll see the link in the drop down menu. Click on the link and you'll find lots of helpful articles.
 
@3rd Dislocation

Hello!

I had the physio in yesterday and he has given me some relatively light exercises to do over the next couple of days until his return. He seemed to think I was in good shape and was very positive about how I would see improvements very soon. My "fur buddies" like him a lot so that's a good sign! He has got me walking "normally" instead of with the limp I was developing. At the same time he mademe put more weight on my operated side to reduce the effort on my shoulder. I am trying that but a warm pad or something is a good idea.Let me try that.

I'm following the mantras but haven't tried the belt yet as I had the luxury of my wife coming back yesterday to help me around. I will try it tonight when she gets back. I'm not going to use my good led to get me in/out bed unless it's an emergency.

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. I feel a little selfish talking about my problems when there are those like yourself with bigger burdens.

We are thinking of all of you too. Today the weather is beautiful.

Thank-you,
Simon
 
@redduke hi, was just checking on you, I see you are getting some good advice, glad this site is working for you just remember you can get in touch with Josephine if you have any specific medical questions. good luck, Deb
 
@Laceylake The site definately works for me, thank-you. I have no questions at the moment but had a good night's sleep last night when it was suggested on this site to use a belt to help me get my operated leg in and out of bed. That was a godsend, really. I don't have to wake the house up now when nature calls. Today has been a quiet non-eventful day. Friday the nurse is going to take half my stitches out. I am in positive mode!
 
@redduke I am so glad that your are so upbeat and the belt is giving you more freedom in and out of bed. It sounds like your confidence is coming back. Definitely sounds like good things are happening. Keep up the good work!
 
@3rd Dislocation

It's great not having to rely on anybody to get in and out of bed. The green shoots of independence are pushing through!
One thing I have noticed is that I have some black marks/bruises appearing in the lower part of my right leg. They do not cause me pain but I will point them out to the nurse today when he visits. Not sure if they are a problem or not.
I have also tried out an oil today, prescribed by my surgeon, caled "Helichryse Italienne". Looking on google it seems though it's only available in France. He prescribed it as I had (and still do have ) leg swelling and it helps with that. It's classified as a "comfort" oil. I must say after the first application it certainly seems to have taken the edge off the discomfort. Need to apply it twice a day.
3rd; I hope you are continuing to improve.
 
One thing I have noticed is that I have some black marks/bruises appearing in the lower part of my right leg.
All very normal. You get twisted and turned during THR. Bruising can take awhile to appear.
He prescribed it as I had (and still do have ) leg swelling and it helps with that.
Ice and elevate regularly. That too helps reduce swelling.
 
Hi @redduke , Ive had both hips replaced in the last 6 months, and dislocated the first one. Its scary and makes you feel wary about every movement at first doesnt it, I was scared to move for the first day, at all! But the next day, I was sat in a Bistro, determined not to be petrified of any little movement, its no way to live. Yes you have to be careful, but dont let it take over your life. Im having problems now, but not with that hip and nothing to do with dislocation, and Im really down about it, so I can imagine how you feel...its like we are never going to be "right" again, and dislocation is the main thing all us hippies are afraid of, the ultimate "omg" !! It doesnt mean its going to happen to you again though ( @3rd Dislocation my goodness, what a nightmare for you!) and I think its pretty rare to dislocate once, yet alone multiple times:unsure:.
Ive not been very good at keeping to restrictions, actually Ive been terrible, I even climbed in through a small window when locked out, just a few weeks after dislocating, yet it didnt happen again, so Im sure you will be fine:thumb:. I know its easy to say dont worry, but, well, try not to:)
 
@redduke how are things going. The oil sounds interesting and how did stitches removal go. It was the thing I hated most as a kid, staples are easier. I trust exercises are going good. I wouldn't worry about the bruising. My calves were constantly blue for 3 months, I kept banging them too things. It was embarrassing as I wore shorts. It sounds like each day Simon, you are growing in confidence. Do keep us updated.

@Kay9, love your avatar, and what an ordeal you've been through. I read your thread yesterday, I couldn't find anything about your dislocation. However that hospital was a nightmare and your village sounds quaint. I love what you wrote about local news stories. So glad you're mending well! You have been through a lot. Funny about climbing through the window. I would of been to scared, of dislocating in the window, could you imagine! The pub sounds wonderful. I wish you a brilliant Christmas and no herding the sheep!
 
@Kay9
You are right...it's a balance between recovery and living! Yep....I certainly don't want that ultimate "omg" and as you say it's pretty rare (poor 3rd dislocation). But I'm pretty upbeat the further into the recovery I go and I've started getting interest back for my hobbies. I'm even going to start working again from tomorrow (I work from home 3 days a week doing software development) so that should be good for my head. It's good to know that you are improving too. I think of all those who I have come into contact with on bonesmart. We are going make it!
 
@3rd Dislocation

Hi 3rd,

The oil is really soothing....goes on twice a day - though it's not really Chanel No 5. It keeps the dogs at a distance for a while too which is a good thing as they seem to want to lean against my operated side. 13 stiches out 2 days ago and the last 10 are coming out this morning. It'll probably help my exercises too as there is always a pinching feeling with the staples. Bruises seem to have receded slightly and also the swelling has gone down a little bit. Yesterday was my best day in terms of comfort and mobility. The only other thing I've noticed is that I have put a few pounds on since the op. I heard a lot of people lose weight - but not me. So I'm going to address that over the next few weeks if my wife stops buying delicious French croissants and cakes! Mind you with Xmas coming up it's more likely going to be one of those January diets! I hope this message finds you well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom