Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post Op 1 week - highs and lows

Keep on keeping on -- especially the first 3 to 4 weeks. Remember telling hubby about week 3 1/2 "I just want one hour in the day when my knee doesn't hurt, the constant pain is wearing me down."

Week 4 got better, more tolerable. Week 5 much better, lots of stiffness (keep icing and elevating both sides of knee), then I got stir crazy with less pain and overdid.

Week six (yesterday for me) is better still. Lady I met at PT told me she got much, much better at month 4, when lots of swelling finally went away (I remember having foot surgery age 30 -- now 67-- and remembered could not get normal shoe on it for almost 6 months due to swelling).

Now, knee gets tired and still feels like "binding" around it, but pain is more and more rare (except for evil heel slides). Now the other one hurts much more every day, even with cortisone shot a month ago. It will be on schedule for next winter!
 
Hi SPE2020! I have no advice to share for knee recovery, having mine done on the 31st. I can tell you from having hip replacement in 2017 that recovery can be a bear! The first few weeks were basically focused on pain management. There were good days and some not so good. But the wonderful people here were always here to vent to, even at some ungodly hours! I'll be following you, and I hope you turn the corner soon. Take care!
 
Hi Miggie,
Thank you for your kindness in responding to follow.
So you are getting a full knee replacement March 31? I will look forward to our supporting of each other thru this forum. Nothing prepares you for this solitude of emotions when one goes thru it. Nice to know there are others out there.
One of my biggest disppointments were friends that say they would be there for you ... are not! Do not want that additional stress...have enough to go thru. So even throughout this all ... Im learning a good lesson on resilience.
 
Thank you Julia for sharing. This is all quite a journey we all undertook.
Thank you for your encouraging words to...keep on keeping on.
 
Everyone that says getting pain management under control is so spot on after surgery. For me, I found a good balance that finally is working.
Last night I went back on 2 Tramadol/8 hrs & 2 Tylenol 1's /8 hrs (alternating).... so I'm taking something every 4hrs....just didn't want the heavy opiod every 4hrs.
In a 12 hr period from 10pm last night ... to 10am this morning....I only woke up (by alarm only) to take the meds and fell back to sleep no problem.
Also, I'm learning about how frequencies help in our body...each time I was up for the meds, I would just start this in the background and drifted off. Has anyone else explored this area for a coping strategy to pain? I don't watch the video...just read the intro once...find visual not for me.
 
I’m here to tell you too; just keep the big picture in front of you. Your life is going to be so much better - in the future! I had a LKR the end of January. Just this week, I’ve noticed I can be away from home a bit longer. I spent the first 5 plus weeks elevating, icing, and doing exercises. I actually felt like doing some cleaning & mopped the kitchen floor today, it’s been months since that got done. So it does get better & you will get your life back. I was dismissed from PT this week and agree with everyone here that if something hurts don’t keep doing it. I’m still doing the stair stretches, though. When I started doing those 3 or 4 times a day is when the stiffness started leaving my knee. I‘m planning to have the right knee done in August. I told someone that I wish I could fast forward into 2021! So hang in there!
 
Thank you Annie for sharing your experince. Its supportive and encouraging. Just called a neighbour to walk the hallway with me. My first time out since discharge (March 3rd). Was getting tired of the "S walk" bed to kitchen-rtn, "L walk" bed to bathroom-rtn and "C walk" bed to livingroom-rtn. Now my "S walk in the hallway" is much bigger and shared with someone...small achievement yet, good for my soul.
 
SPE2020, You are doing great - getting out of the house already! My first time out was when I got my staples out. I’d like to set out and do some outside walking too, but the weather is gloomy, chilly and rainy the past couple of days here in Ohio. I tripped over something on the floor a couple of weeks ago, & sprained my ankle, so also am trying to get that healed up. When I elevate my legs, I now am icing my left knee and ankle & my right knee which started to hurt after I got off the pain meds and anti-inflammatory pills. Lol! I still elevate and ice whenever I can. I think that has been key in controlling the pain. I also use my ice machine all night by wrapping my operated knee with heavy blanket to keep the rest of me from getting to cold. Elevating and icing are your best friends right now!
 
Annie,
Oh my...I can't imagine having a sprained ankle on top of your LKR. Getting all those pain areas under control must take a lot of your energy. Take care.
So how long were you on pain meds after surgery? I finally feel mine is under control and also I'm starting to know the signs when to elevate/ice/rest (took me 10 days).
Today, I walked my condo hallway (2 laps=500 feet).
Tomorrow see my Surgeon to get staples out.
Hopefully, its quick and not too painful.
This afternoon, I listened to an hour of healing affirmation (on youtube). It was so nice to just be, listen and totally go somewhere else. Left me really energized after. Finding a balance of all these coping strategies really helps the process. Hearing other peoples stories inspires me to keep moving ahead. Thank you
 
I have a little fan that has a sponge in it that you can put some Peppermint oil drops in the sponge and as the fan blows it disperses the smell which was very calming to me which relaxed me a bit and helped take my mind off the pain a tad.
 
SPE2020,
I was on pain meds for 2 weeks, every 8 hours & 3 times per day - took the limit. Then I cut back to 1/2 dose of the oxycodone (sp?) the next week and then I’ve just been using Tylenol as needed. Gotta run, meeting friends for dinner. Will get back to you
 
You had your operation the same day as me!! I had a Tibular Transfer 9 years ago before my TKR. Struggling with the physio due to muscle issues. The actual implant does not seem to be causing any issues - I am in France in a rehabilitation unit - Been here since two days after the operation. We are on complete lockdown with no visitors allowed. washing is now being done by the hospital and we are not allowed outside - Morale is pretty low! Wishing you all the best for recovery - A long road but apparently it is worth it x
 
Yes, love to listen to music, it can calm and relax me. It can also motivate me to get me moving.
❤️ the smell of peppermint too, Rubyroo. I use diffusers through out the house.
I am trying to wean off the ice machine. I am 6 1/2 weeks out and still use it occasionally during the day and always during the night. I start out with it on the left knee and if I wake up with pain in the right knee or the sprained ankle, I switch the pad to that area. It works and I might keep doing that till after my right knee replacement in August.
 
Hi Hedy1962,
Don't hesitate to reach out to chat. Going thru your surgery is challenging enough mentally and to be coronateened (as my nephew told me because I stayed in for 10 day before going out). Few visitors...mostly bringing gifts of ice! Hang in there, dig deep inside and get up and go as much as you can. Take care of yourself!
I went out yesterday to surgeron's clinic to get my staples out (1 was inverted...ouch). Now the real work begins.
Last night was my first time taking my pain meds to just get thru a full nights sleep (without setting an alarm for my next Rx). Woke up a few times however, made it thru the night with no other Rxs. Yes, a sucessaful night!
Going to have to set up a routine schedule daily now for my next stage in rehab. Will be going to physiotherapy in community also. Going to use a TENS/NMES machine.
I do hope you find ways to boost your moral...I found humour in the smallest things, reached out to others who have gone or going thru, looked & looking for coping strategies to help the mental/emotional fatigue.
Its good you have internet access, your not alone here! All the best to your rehab and recovery. Look forward to here how it goes for you!
 
Morning Annie & Rubroo,
My blend of essences has been lavender for sleep. And my daily blend I go to frankincense & orange.
Love those difussors!
Hope your day is going well!
 
It sounds like you are very actively working on taking care of yourself. Good for you! You still have a long way to go.

You said you prefer listening rather than watching videos. I spent an unusual amount of time watching internet cat videos. They made me happy for a while. I realize I haven't seen a cat video in some time, now. I guess that's progress.
 
Bikinglynn,
That definitely sounds like progress. Whats your next?
It's nice to be here on BoneSmart for the info, education & companionship of those gone, going or about too...
Sending you the best during your recovery! Have a nice day!
 
I'm not sure what type of ice machine you have but the one I have I have frozen water bottles-12 to be exact. I use them instead of regular ice. Someone told me that you can't keep up with using plain ice but the bottles last between 6 to 8 hours. I have a brega machine and use 4 bottles at a time. When they get warm I just exchange those 4 out for 4 more frozen.. It works very well.
 
What a great suggestion...I'm going to try this....you're so right its tough to keep up the bags of ice. Thank you ginr!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom