PKR PKR -Right Medial

OK yeah, my recovery is like that too...yesterday was so bad I had to take a pain med - I had my first outpatient PT too so that didn't help but I hurt way before I went in (and then she pushed on my knee!). Today is so much better. My pain is medial and kneecap also...I blame the trashed VMO muscle for the kneecap pain though - if you do too much before your VMO (and other muscles in that area) is back up to speed I can mess up your patellar tracking, from what I understand. The day I overdid it on the recumbent bike my VMO was cramping and I had horrible kneecap pain afterwards as I had to walk around quite a bit the next day. Sounds like you are having to move around some during the day (and this was your right leg which doesn't help matters). Do you feel pretty good in the morning? Well you're a veteran of knee surgery so you know about getting that muscle back, but yes it surprises me how fast my quad looked concave, yikes. At least it's not like after microfracture where they needed to use the paddles to get it to fire again :loll:
 
I had arthroscopic surgery (removed torn medial meniscus) 25 years ago. About 8.5 years ago, the medial part of my knee hurt terribly, walking was very painful. I learned that a PKR would be right for me. I was 54, in good health, not heavy, a good age, and if I had a TKR I would need another in my lifetime. I was told that a PKR would last up to 15 years (if I was lucky) but a TKR would become necessary someday. A PKR would preserve my bones and would make a future TKR easier having more bone in tact.

I had great success. The PKR (Zimmer) has microscopic wear and tear (non that was visible) and is still in place. I backpack a lot and have put over 3000 miles from backpackiing on that partial. Unfortunately, the rest of my knee has worn (feels like a knife behind the knee cap) I know it's time for a TKR. The PKR will have to be removed. There is only cement on the bottom portion and shallow metal parts on the top. Easier than replacing a TKR.
Anyway, I thought it was good for me. It was MIS and I did pretty well. Only PT at home and only Tylenol, even at hospital. I do wish I had something stronger. My scar is 4" long and my ROM is very good.

Why damage all of the knee when only a portion needs fixed? I may need a second TKR in my lifetime but I don't plan on being quite so active into my 80s. Thev've got to remove all that hardware that is pounded into the bone for a second TKR.

Not all OS perform PKRs or revisions so make sure you've got a surgeon who's experienced in that area.
 
Hey @NWMSU42 just checking in to see how you're coming along, any update?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hello RedRider! I'm doing pretty good. I'm 10 weeks out now, I've had my flexion at 150 for a few weeks. I honestly thought I'd be more active by now though. I haven't been able to work out on my treadmill or do much of anything exercise related/extra curricular activities. I do the elliptical for 8 minutes at therapy, followed by 24 hours of some soreness and tenderness. I still get sharp pains in my knee (right where the implant is) quite often, but then they go away. I'm still missing most of my quad muscles from the atrophy. All of this is frustrating, I just want to be healed and be able to work out on my elliptical like I used to and be able to go to my kick boxing class again (I put on some weight since the surgery). With all that negativity out of the way, we just found out that we're going to have another baby yayyy!!!!!! :) How are you feeling RedRider? Any advice for me on my knee progression? Thanks again for checking on me and my knee.
 
...congrats on the impending new arrival!

10 weeks is still pretty early and, as you may hear from others, every recovery is unique and takes its own path and time frame. I had a set back w/TKR #2 last summer and had to replace exercise involving my newly replaced knee with upper body and single leg fitness. In my case, I spent a ton of time on an arm bike last summer. I assume the kickboxing class is at a gym so, if true, you can do circuit work instead of the elliptical focusing on core and upper body. One leg pulls on a stationary bike can get you into cardio range. The main thing is to let that newly cut and drilled knee heal at its own pace. You'll get there.
 
First of all, congrats! News like that is far more encompassing than a silly ol' knee. My wife and I are looking to have kids soon as well, which makes my upcoming knee procedure even more urgent.

I wouldn't worry about your progress at 10 weeks, it's nothing unordinary according to everything I've read here on BS. Just keep working at it, and thanks for the update!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Howdy @NWMSU42 hope your recovery is going well. I scheduled my surgery for Nov 14th! So far I've been fluctuating between excited and nervous.
How is your knee feeling, are you progressing back to normal? Would love to hear an update from you.
 
Hello Red Rider! I'm sorry it took so long for me to see your post. My knee is doing great! Some minor pain at times, but I've been using the heck out of it...so the minor pain is probably self inflicted :) I'm back to my kickboxing class four times a week and I'm doing 3 miles a day, seven days a week on my elliptical...needless to say, I'm very happy with my partial replacement :) With that being said, I'm going in on January 12th to have an OATS procedure on my other knee. I have a small defect on my medial femoral condyle that has been giving me troubles for some time now, and the Doc & I agreed to take care of it now before it gets any bigger. Should be no big deal, it'll be arthroscopic so I should be back to good in no time.

How are you doing? How did your surgery go on November 14th? I hope the pain has dwindled by now and your on the road to recovery! I look forward to hearing how you're doing. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Good to hear from you @NWMSU42, and just over 6 months out, looks like you're making some serious progress.

I'm just shy of 2 weeks post-op and things have been pretty good so far. Swelling is decreasing, but slowly (from a grapefruit to a baseball you might say). My ROM is good, still have a little to go on the flexion though. All I've really been doing is the stationary bike and some stretching. Did your ROM improve gradually? I wonder if I should be doing something more or if it's just a matter that time will resolve.

Other than that just been hanging out, catching up on The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and whatever has been lingering around on my DVR. I try to take a little walk outside everyday to work on leg strength but more importantly to keep my sanity.

Good luck with the OATS procedure. I had a similar chunk of articular cartilage knocked out of my patellofemoral groove, they used an broken link removed: https://www.arthrosurface.com/products/knee/patello-femoral-implants/ inlay to patch it up. It's basically like OATS but using metal instead of cartilage. It was cool because they did it at the same time as my partial, saving me another surgery.

Thanks for the motivation, it's always nice to read about good outcomes like yours. Hopefully in 6 months this will be all a hazy memory for me.
 
@NWMSU42 - congratulations on your great recovery. I appreciate the encouraging story. In kickboxing, have you returned to your pre-PKR strength or have you surpassed it?
 
@NWMSU42 - congratulations on your great recovery. I appreciate the encouraging story. In kickboxing, have you returned to your pre-PKR strength or have you surpassed it?

Thank you! I'm actually doing my kickboxing circuit at full strength. My knee feels fine when working out, but I do still wear a knee brace when working out for additional strength.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom