Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pinot's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a mood ring? :wink:
 
You guys are too funny! Now I feel better about the scar. Too bad that is not the main issue.

I am today giving my 7-week report. After a couple of days of being cautious optimistic my knee kind of blew up over the past weekend. More pain, swelling and medication. More ice and rest now. Using a tape measure the swelling is up an inch around my skinny knee. I had discontinued the tramadol and thought that was progress, but that only lasted 2 days. Things went downhill on a day when I did some gentle PT on my own. I did less than in a facility session and did not feel pain until later in the day.

As usual I am willing to see this through but still worried that something is not right with the implant as related to thin bones. I am still frustrated that things are not moving forward, even at a snail's pace. I have a routine appointment soon, most likely with the PA and will update with any news.
Thanks for listening.
 
Hi Pinot, we are at roughly the same place- I am two months out today. My knee blew up on me also, complete with a stupid bulge on the side. I was apparently "doing too much". So these past few days I have totally slacked, and my do-nothing strategy seems to be paying off. I've tried compression and continuous ice, but the only thing that really seems to help is staying off it, plus elevation. Unfortunately today I must get out and about. Though sometimes I feel desperate to be back on my bike and/or back to some semblance of normal, I'm just not ready for that level of activity.

I measured my swelling for the first time, and it isn't as bad as I imagined- the TKR knee is only 1/2" bigger around than my "good" knee, but keep in mind my good knee isn't that good. I hope you get good news from your PA.
 
Thanks Clipless! It helps to know that others can have these setbacks.
In fact that's what the PA said: "you are having a setback." But I already knew that! He feels that the knee is stable and cemented in place. But there were no x-rays or other diagnostic tests; that will happen at the next appointment in 5 or 6 weeks. During the conversation the PA moved back and forth between not doing too much and keep doing the exercises as much as possible. Not much new there.

One possible change is that he thinks I could go back on anti-inflammatory medication that he had told me to stop at 2 weeks. Does anyone take things like Celebrex or other NSAIDS for long periods post surgery?
 
@pinot......haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing? Did your doctor prescribe any of the NSAIDs for you? We do have people that take them. You just need to be a bit cautious as they can give you stomach problems or cause issues with your kidneys.
 
Thank your for asking about me! I haven't been sure what to say. My recovery has been long and boring and I don't want to put everyone to sleep. I am now at 2 1/2 months and am cautiously optimistic that things are starting to improve. I still have some pain and a lot of swelling but have not taken any pain meds for 3 days. That is a huge deal for me. In the grocery store I was suddenly aware that I did not have to lean on the shopping cart every second, a tiny improvement that I hope is meaningful in general for the future.

I am holding back on the NSAIDS for now. It would be Celebrex which is very expensive. I have had bleeding with another drug (Mobic) but Celebrex is supposed to be easier on the gut. I am keeping the option open of using it, especially if I have another set back.

I feel like I have been in a black hole on another planet all this time. I expected things to move faster. Would I still have the surgery? You bet! It was my best, and only, option.

So I am doing OK in my comfort zone at home. Anxiety comes from the possible return to part time work looming in February. Getting up in the dark and cold and driving for a half-hour and working 8 hours is not part of my "new normal". Anxiety also comes from not knowing what is a safe and possible level of activity. Today there were some uneven steps to a grassy slope and I just stood at the top wondering if I could manage. I made it one step at a time and hanging onto support--just like before the surgery.

Normal routine will not be enough PT for me. I need strength, balance and better quads!
 
Gosh, @pinot , it is great to hear from you, and I so get it! I am facing return to work February 1st and am freaked out about it. I'm trying not to worry, but it's coming up so soon. I worry about buckling, injuring myself or endangering patients, and not being fast enough. Lastly, I worry my knee will swell painfully during long shifts on my feet.

Anyway, those are my concerns. On the bright side, I'm just a little farther along in my recovery than you and have only started feeling better this past week or so. I think you'll be there very soon, too!

Don't worry too much about quad strengthening yet. I just spent three whole days in bed with a migraine, didn't work my quads one darn bit, and awakened Monday morning with my knee feeling the best it has so far! I even did a 2.5 mile hike today and felt really good. I used two trekking poles and I took my time, but the improvement vs. last week is noticeable. Everyone genuinely cares how you're doing. Keep us posted, please!
 
You're progressing nicely! Congrats on the shopping trip--that first time you're not clinging to the cart is a great milestone. :yay:
The uneven ground can take a while to be confident and secure on but you'll get there.

Congrats on being off pain meds. You may need one at night after a busy day, but hopefully you can say goodbye to the "hard stuff" and just use some tylenol as needed.
Ice should help with the swelling so you'll probably be ok without the celebrex.
 
Thanks @kneeper and @Clipless! As usual my hope has been dampened, but only a little. I took one-half of a tramadol yesterday and today was not great either. The pace of healing is so slow and uneven! Any opinions about planning for an international trip with light walking and hiking at 6 months? I would be at peace letting go of the travel idea, if only I could see the future more clearly.
 
I'm not sure about international travel at six months. Hopefully someone who has done it will chime in! I am loosely planning a mini get-a-way to Sedona with my daughter in April or May. I'm sure I'll be ready, not sure my boss will be cool with it.
 
I'm so glad you gave us an update! You know, some of us just have a bit slower recovery than others, but I think you're doing fine. You are making forward progress, even if it is small steps. I think you CAN look forward to a time when you will really trust and enjoy your new knee. Just keep doing what you're doing....taking things carefully and listening to your body as you gradually increase your activity levels. Celebrate those milestones...no matter how tiny they seem. They are the lights leading to your new life!

Please let us hear from you now and then. It's always great to know how you are.
 
Here is a 4-month update:
Pain and swelling and heat around the site are at a plateau. I am functional and not in much pain. I take one-half of a tramadol a few days a week. And celebrex. I wonder how I would feel without the celebrex and intend to find out before long. The pros tell me I am fine and hang on for 6 months to a year. The PA keeps talking over me telling me I'll get better; I'm not saying he is wrong, just wish he would listen and explain what causes the heat and swelling, even if it is normal.

I am done with PT next week and exercise at a gym. My goal is to stand up out of a chair without hanging on to something. Exercise seems to irritate the knee but the PA and PT agree there should be a balance, trying to gain strength as much as possible. I do very little ice and elevation, needing to get on with life. On the couch with ice does not change things much. ROM is good but flex is a little less than at its peak.

I am released to go back to work in a week. I intend to work just a couple of days a week and not stand all day. We will see how it goes. I am more afraid of the technical aspects and changes of my work than physical disability. In other words, am I mentally ready?

Oh, I know we don't compare to others but my scar is ugly (the least of my concerns so I mention it last!)
At the suggestion of a dermatologist I am using Dr. Blaines scar treatment. If anyone has an opinion about these silicone products it would be nice to know. It's a bit messy and I will run out before the suggested 90 days. So I have no feedback to offer yet.

One last thing. I hold a record for number of trips canceled. I have taken a couple of one-day road trips (I did not drive) with mixed consequences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom