TKR Pineapple's Second Knee. The Emotional Journey<

@Celle thank you for the article about flying. If I continue to recover well, I am going to take the direct route and ask for aisle seating behind the bulkhead. But as long as it's on the aisle, I think I will manage. I am mostly concerned about having someone bump or push the knee all flight long. Besides, as you say, I will be getting up to walk around frequently.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR 8/14/16
 
I love Cyril.. He is adorable. He's just the right size to to have many uses.

I haven't flown but when I've been out to different functions I try to always sit where I can get up and stretch my legs periodically. If does seem to help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you are doing better :console2:...I know very well how TKR surgery can leave a person emotionally drained, that was "me" with my first TKR, I could not believe how I turned into a shrinking violet and could not cope for several weeks. Luckily I had a good support system to get me back on tract including this amazing Bone smart forum. Good luck with your trip :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the empathy @magella. The funny thing is that my knee is doing very well. But now I have gotten gout in the foot of my new TKR leg. And in my finger! I sometimes fell like I am falling apart. And that I don't know who I am anymore.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR 8/14/16
 
I hope the gout settles down soon. I know it can be painful.
 
Wonder why so many of us that have other issues that pop up after our knee surgeries. I feel for you, my husband battled gout and other relatives and they all said it was painful. I wonder if some of our issues where there prior to the surgery, but our discomfort of knee pain masked the other issues, or if it's because our bodies are so taxed with the recovery and healing process that it's easy for other things to invade our immune systems. Hope your feeling better.
 
For me I think it was the stress from surgery. I am actually going to the doc on Friday to see if I can have a cortisone shot in the finger joint. It has been almost a week since it got gouty and its my dominant hand. If I bump it even a bit washing dishes or opening doors, look out!

Meanwhile my knee is doing very well. I am driving and walking without a cane at five weeks this Friday. But even the the gout got to me. I play guitar and its just not possible right now.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR 8/14/16
 
Still struggling with extra bad depression at five weeks. I have meds and a therapist, the hardest thing is not to beat myself up for being depressed. The knee at five weeks is excellent. Stiffness and some pain after walking but not much swelling, rom is good, able to reduce pain meds to just a couple at night.

What is really sad for me is the sciatica. It isn't the pain, After a block or so I go numb and cannot walk at all. I have had it for months before the surgery and allowed myself to hope mate this leg being fixed would rebalance my body and take care of the sciatica. I am going to try ad see the back doc this week... Wonder if an epidural is not recommended so soon after TKR. Like everyone here I have been thru a lot to get my life back. Afraid the sciatica will steal it again. Or I will need another surgery.No wonder I'm so blue.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR 8/14/16
 
You have a lot to contend with right now. I know how painful sciatica can be - enough on its own to make anyone depressed. On top of that, you're recovering from major surgery.

You're doing the right thing in seeing a therapist and taking meds.
Don't beat yourself up. Almost everyone gets the blues after a TKR. It's a normal reaction.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
You have a worse dose because you have more to contend with.

Hang in there. This is going to get better.
Meanwhile, we're here to listen any time you want to vent. We understand, because we've been through it ourselves.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom