Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pineapple's knee

Well I have developed either sciatica or piriformis syndrome. No doctor diagnosis yet. The knee feels great but I have both lower back pain and dull aching in both thighs. It is pretty severe. I have had a few days of walking with a suitcase or groceries blocks at a time so maybe it is the lifting, which I had to do but now I am done with it.

It is so discouraging to have a new, strong knee and have my dreams of walking put on hold at best. In any case, I needed the knee replaced and the other one is next, I just really hope this sciatica resolves. I had worse sciatica before the TKR, And none at all for the first month of recovery. Then it started in the non operated leg and moved to the leg with the new knee. I am walking so differently I feel like this is a shakedown period and I am trying to give it time to resolve.

Anyway, that's enough of the downer stuff. PT is always good and I can use the stationary bike easily. Even with the sciatica I can go further and do more than before surgery. Still glad I had surgery. Still going forward with knee number two.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
I got a pair of orthotic insoles from Dr. Scholl's, the kind where you stand on an analyzer and it picks which model based on your footprint. Interesting that the leg with the TKR is bearing much more weight than my other knee. I have had these orthotics before and they help. I am trying pretty much everything on the sciatica, including stretches, core strengthening and rolling on a tennis ball. Doesn't help that my mattress is probably fifteen years old... But I will have to save for a new one.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
Still tired and depressed even tho the knee is great.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
The tiredness does seem to linger for a long, long time, but it will eventually fade. This article explains it:
Energy drain for TKRs

I'm sorry you're feeling depressed as well. Part of that is normal, but if it's really getting you down, do ask you doctor for help. It may be possible to have a short course of anti-depressants.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
I am going to my OS for my three month check. My knee is doing very well. And my unoperated knee is not bothering me much. I was going to have the second knee replaced as soon as possible but now I am confused. Do I wait until it starts to bother me?

My biggest issue is really the sciatica that keeps me from walking more than a block before I have to sit down. It's better than before my knee replacement but has slowed down my recovery. Who knows how my knees will feel if I start walking a few miles? And right now I can't.

I am going to ask for a referral to a back specialist. But which part to fix first? And how will fixing one affect the other?


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
I still don't know if it is a good decision to get my second knee replaced if it isn't giving me a lot of pain at the moment even though I know it's bone on bone and has been awful most of the time.


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
@pineapple ... I just read thru some of your threads, you're 10 Fay's ahead of me post op...I wish I was doing as well as you seem to be. I still have extreme tightness and pain across my kneecap...stabbing pain... My outside thigh is ridiculously stiff and no quad strength to speak of...I do have great ROM and extension tho.
I wanted to comment on your questioning doing the other TKR so soon after the first. I had my first one 8 years ago and swore I would never go thru that pain again ( I also fell and shattered my wrist an hour home from the hosp) ... That was the biggest mistake I made! For at least the last 3 years I've been doing the cortisone and fatty injections to try to by time...when I was crawling up the stairs on my hands and knees I finally said enough, just do it. I went in wt high hopes, knowing what to expect but forgetting most of it.... My point, I waited way to long... The dr said it was one of the worst knees he'd seen...I wasn't living life to the fullest in those years before I decided to do it and I'm certainly in for the long haul now due to the deteriorating condition of my quads and calfs... Please don't do what I did and let it get so bad that recovery is laying in bed at 3 month out still crying yourself to sleep... I'm a tough cookie but this has literally destroyed my spirit and my being. I hope you will consider doing your other while you're still young, healthy and strong. Your decision, just my experience. Take care!
 
@bsassy, thank you for sharing your experience. I do feel lucky about the knee so far, but the sciatica complication has really messed with my spirit, it feels sometime as if I caused it, tho I know I didn't. I did decide to start the approval process for the second surgery. I am sorry you are having a rough time. How is the first knee doing?


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
@pineapple. I'm sorry your siatica probs are wearing you down and affecting your mental being... Believe me, I sympathize with you as this constant pain continues to increase and not decrease in my knee cap area and down my outer thigh and calf. I sit here at 1:15am barely holding on ... Took my pain meds regularly the past two days and hasn't even touched it. I did see the chiropractor today and found my hip was an inch and half off from the other side and my lower spine was out of whack ( the spine prob from sitting around too darn much) I see my OS Monday, I know he will tell me it just takes time but 3 months out and still this intense is ridiculous. At three months with my first one I was on a plane to Vegas to celebrate my recovery ... That brings me to your question of how the first one is doing... 8 years later and going strong! Especially since it's been my dominate leg for at least the last 3 years. I hope you find some relief soon and don't waste time worrying about doing your other... Yes it's a huge inconvenience but when all is said and done you'll be so glad you did! Please keep me posted...nothing but warm thoughts for you pineapple ( and just where did that user name come from lol????) Take care...
Marcy
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom