PKR Piglet - 14th May 2012 - back home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piglet, I been watching for you and your report, I'm so happy to hear that all went well and that you're pleased with the outcome so far.:thumb: I am also glad to see that you stuck to your guns and wanted things your way, which in turn gave you better results. In reading your post I've become even more excited about my upcoming replacements! I will remember earplug and my portable CD player so I can listen to soothing music to "lullaby" me to sleep.
Thanks again for your post! Like I said, I am now even more excited!:biggrin:
Please stay well and happy, speedy healing!:friends:

Have bitten the bullet and ordered a cyro cuff as was cooking the frozen gel pads within 20 minutes with my nuclear knee :snork: although they lasted hours with the scope.

:biggrin: Yeah, it radiates doesn't it?

Thanks. Been doing the quad exercises and knee bends but not straight leg lifts and knee extensions as too sore. I'm assuming that starting those later on is ok
I think pretty soon they'll have you trying the leg lifts. I know I could barely get the leg off the bed at first--I'm talking just so it's not touching--but they had me try just a little bit every day. Slowly I got to an actual lift.

Piglet, Welcome to the "other side" - Congrats on your new knee!

Sounds like you are doing quite well.

I really remember those leg lifts those first days - I felt like I really accomplished something if I got my leg off of the bed ever so slightly!!!! It does get better - I'm just 2 months out and can life my leg like I never had anything done (or almost!)

Congrats Piglet on your remarkable recovery! I took a shower the second day also but they put plastic shield protectors over the staples and it stayed dry.:biggrin:

[/QUOTE]I think pretty soon they'll have you trying the leg lifts. I know I could barely get the leg off the bed at first--I'm talking just so it's not touching--but they had me try just a little bit every day. Slowly I got to an actual lift.[/QUOTE]

Over here won't see a physio again for another 5 weeks

Spurred on by you Have tried it with using the other leg to help. No joy yet but you can see the muscles firing up now and trying. Will keep at it

Physio here is down to you at home once you've been shown in hospital.

Congrats Piglet on your remarkable recovery! I took a shower the second day also but they put plastic shield protectors over the staples and it stayed dry.:biggrin:

I've got stitches and a waterproof dressing but all good so far. Hurrah for the toilet raiser in the shower! You do feel so much better after but have to build up to it on the sore days :hapydancsmil::bathtub:

Piglet, Welcome to the "other side" - Congrats on your new knee!

Sounds like you are doing quite well.

I really remember those leg lifts those first days - I felt like I really accomplished something if I got my leg off of the bed ever so slightly!!!! It does get better - I'm just 2 months out and can life my leg like I never had anything done (or almost!)

Thanks vivien
It's pretty sore today and I only did the knee bend stretch twice yesterday and tried the leg lifts although there is more movement in the knee today as a result before it gets painful and pulls

Good to hear you can lift yours as I look at it and wonder where it's gone and when it'll return form it's holiday :what::cheers_wine::LOL2:

Piglet, I been watching for you and your report, I'm so happy to hear that all went well and that you're pleased with the outcome so far.:thumb: I am also glad to see that you stuck to your guns and wanted things your way, which in turn gave you better results. In reading your post I've become even more excited about my upcoming replacements! I will remember earplug and my portable CD player so I can listen to soothing music to "lullaby" me to sleep.
Thanks again for your post! Like I said, I am now even more excited!:biggrin:
Please stay well and happy, speedy healing!:friends:

Thanks Jacky. This forum certainly helps get your head in the right place. It helps knowing what to expect. My ethos is you can't change what is going to happen but you can change how you react to it

I'm sure a positive outlook helps. Don't get me wrong have felt tearful a few times but haven't worried about it as was expecting it and know its normal

All I can say is before the pain was wasteful but after it isn't constant and you know it has a purpose, that you're in control of it to a certain extent. My wife said after the op I had lost that grimace look which I didnt know I had :hate-shocked: You realise after how draining the previous pain was. Now you get tired but after a sleep you feel refreshed again:sleepz:. The first night is the most uncomfortable and after that it gets better :yay:

Glad to see you're doing really well, Piglet. You sound so positive and that's very encouraging to the rest of us waiting.

Kathy
xx

How you doing?

Had a rough couple of days as tramadol was giving me migraines and making me feel sick

Am on codydramol now. Not quite as good but good enough. With ice pain back to ok and now back on with home physio. Also had my post op blues tears in between change over of meds

Went out for first time today in wheelchair with my partner for a few hours (it has a leg raiser) plus the cyrocuff

Worked a great and was good for a change of scene.

The knee is in control and setting the pace.

Still nearly a fortnight in. Woo hoo

Good to hear you're doing so well! Be sure to enjoy the lovely weather we've been having - it probably won't last!

Glad to see you're doing really well, Piglet. You sound so positive and that's very encouraging to the rest of us waiting.

Kathy
xx

Thanks Kathy. Still really glad I had it done. At least I was expecting some fun with the meds at some point and the blues. The ice is definitely a must as new painkillers not quite enough but finding it easier each day

Be prepared for a multi colour leg after the thigh and shin have been an amazing technicolor of purple and yellow bruising which is starting to fade and it's starting to get less painful with the knee hanging over the edge of the bed or chair for short periods without being supported by the good leg

Weather is fab but theses ted socks are a pain :snork:

Good to hear you're doing so well! Be sure to enjoy the lovely weather we've been having - it probably won't last!

Crickey it's lovely but yes probably won't last Cyro cuff helps keep the rest of you cool as well as the nuclear knee! :th_heehee:

Piglet,

Your positive nature is absolutely infectious. I love reading your posts as you journey along, as we all journey along. :friends:

The weather where you are sounds like the weather over here in the Pacific Northwest region of the US. It’s been really nice here for the last two days; before that is was dreary. During this time of the year it seems you really have to pounce on those good days; they are just so few and far between.

I am very glad to read of how well you are doing! Yes, those bruises are quite spectacular, aren't they! I was amazed at what mine looked, like, too.

Please keep us up-to-date as to how you journey is going---it sounds quite good now!

Hi Piglet

It's good to read you are doing so well and experiencing a normal recovery with a few ups and downs. I couldn't take Tramadol and I ended up only taking the very basic pain relief and it was fine for me but I did rely on the Cryo-Cuff - it was always such a relief to get the cuff on my hot knee. I think I actually got addicted to the sensation :th_heehee: .

Keep up the good work and keep us posted :thumb:

Hi guys

Well it's been a busy week. Knee has been pretty sore since dressing came off last Wednesday. It took a few days to settle down as must have been pulling and using muscles it didn't have to before

Scar is really neat and top layer is dissolvable stitches so still pulls a bit but is good. Found bending and stretching easier ànd after a bit of effort get it to 90degrees.

The nurse gave me a reprieve from the stockings hurrah. Just in time for persistent rain :th_heehee:

Have ditched the loo raisers and the cyro cuff has been remarkable in reducing the swelling. Can now stand for short periods and take a few steps indoors

Had first social evening for the queens diamond jubilee. It was pretty stiff and swollen after for a day despite being seated for most of the day but great to get out

My quads have returned. Can do 5 straight leg lifts before the pain gets too bad and stops the entertainment

Have found a new party trick for anyone asking why I'm not walking unaided after 3 weeks. I show them my healing scar and watch their faces wince :biggrin:

Finding sleeping fun again as scar is sensitive now dressing off so having to wrap it in duvet and use cyro cuff to get off to sleep

Have been rubbing it a bit to desensitise it but being careful as it still has some healing to do

I'm so pleased I've had it done and the investment in the cyro cuff. Expensive but well worth the investment as fab in the càr to keep it cool and stop it shuggling about

Thanks lone wolf,jazy b and referee

:friends:

Piglet,

Your positive nature is absolutely infectious. I love reading your posts as you journey along, as we all journey along. :friends:

The weather where you are sounds like the weather over here in the Pacific Northwest region of the US. It’s been really nice here for the last two days; before that is was dreary. During this time of the year it seems you really have to pounce on those good days; they are just so few and far between.

I know what you mean. Now chucking it diwn and gale force winds for the week. Great fun with crutches :th_heehee:

Hi Piglet

It's good to read you are doing so well and experiencing a normal recovery with a few ups and downs. I couldn't take Tramadol and I ended up only taking the very basic pain relief and it was fine for me but I did rely on the Cryo-Cuff - it was always such a relief to get the cuff on my hot knee. I think I actually got addicted to the sensation :th_heehee: .

Keep up the good work and keep us posted :thumb:

I sooo know what you mean. It comes everywhere with me and feels the best. Basic painkillers are ok but the cyro cuff has become my must have to supplement it. Have made some fantastic icebergs and keep imagining the size of yours from the ice cream tubs!! :friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back