THR philau43's recovery thread<

We wish her the best! Keep us posted.
My mom had hers done at 80 also and did really well.
And you're right, there does seem to be genetic susceptibility.
Have a great night!
@phillau43

:fingersx: all goes smoothly.
Bet she feels better when she sees how much better you feel!:tada:

Hey, PS and by the way...Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope it's a good one! :wink:
@phillau43

As an avid vegetable gardener I totally understand admiring onions!:flabber: I'm even envious, as mine weren't so good this year.

That said, I'm a few weeks behind you and still don't dare holding the lead of my Springer spaniel due to the inevitability of him either pulling like a train or seeing a cat or squirrel and going for it. :dogwalk:

The only safe way I walk him is driving to a park and letting him off lead in the parking lot! Hubby does all the rest thankfully.

Keep up the good work and congrats on 3 months. I'll be there soon dancing behind you. :dancy:

Mum’s op went well and she looked remarkable last night when I popped in for a visit. She had held off on the morphine dose so she would be awake for her visitors - I gave her a good talking too! She was surprised (weren’t we all?) by the pain and stiffness she was feeling particularly when the physios got her out of bed, but I shared some experiences of others on BS, which I hope reassured her it will pass quite quickly. I’m not sure she will get her head around running her own post on here but I will try and show her.

So glad Mom is on the healing side.
Show her this..

:wave:Philau43's mum!
You will soon be happy you had this done. (Probably not at the moment, but very soon)
Dont miss your meds even if you're a bit out of it. Staying ahead of the pain is important these early days.
Your smart son will tell you Ice will be a great help.
Hopefully you can get home soon where you can get comfy.
Healing hugs!!!!

Brought Mum home today (she’s convalescing with us for a few weeks until she feels able to go home). She’s very sore and not yet mastered the crutches but, with my own experience relatively fresh in my mind (and my wife’s even more so), we are able to help and encourage her. Early days though.

Glad your mom is doing ok and getting lots of tlc from you. You're such s straightforward guy I'm sure you give her calm advice and support. But I'm wondering if you are having flashbacks of our first two weeks of recovery hell? :heehee:.
Seriously, how old is she? Is this her first hip? If she's made it to a ripe age and this is her first, that's great. I often wonder what I will be like if I have to have a revision at eighty-something. :what:.

Thanks @Calgal you’re quite right - flashbacks of the horror are definitely the thing! She’s 81 next month, 7.5 stone dripping wet and only 5’ tall, so not too much pressure on the new joint. She’s doing very well but an active lifestyle finally took its tole! Dad’s 86 and getting ‘old’ so we thought they needed our support. My recent experience certainly helps too.

Hello and Happy Monday!
Your mom is lucky to have you for support and as a caregiver. So much is fresh in your mind in regard to all she's experiencing. I hope you both have a good week as you begin / continue healing.
@phillau43

@phillau43 Im catching up on your recovery, you sound great! Hopefully the dog and leash incident was just a flash in the pain and you have no lingering soreness from it.
Now your mom! You are a good son, wishing her a good recovery! :flwrysmile:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully your recovery is progressing nicely. Please let us know how you're doing next time you're on the forum.
Best Wishes going forward!
@phillau43

Firstly, apologies! It’s been a long time since I last posted. I suppose irs because life has returned to relatively normal but that’s a shallow excuse. I am now nearly 5 months post op and generally back to normal. That said, I’d say I am actually 95 % back. Still twinges and mild discomfort particularly when lying on operated side.
All in all though....who’s complaining.....

Good Evening :wave: @phillau43
No apologies necessary. You have an awesome excuse for not being around. You're back living life!
Thanks for updating and sharing your progress. It's encouraging for those following behind and a delight for us to read how well you're doing. May it only get better. :yes:
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:

Thanks @Layla for your kind words. The recovery has gone well and I am very thankful for that. I am surprised I suppose, that I am not 100% yet. My thigh muscle still feels weak and I am most aware of that when climbing stairs. There is a dull ache sometimes from the hip joint but nothing that would cause me to reach for the paracetamol again. I don’t ‘think’ about my hip much, which is good, and I certainly don’t feel I am being curtailed in anything I would normally do. Life is back to its usual 100mph! In my head November 7th is when I hope to be 100% as that will be 6 months post op. We will see.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member