TKR Peaches0000 Recovery Thread

[/QUOTE]
These numbers at 3 months is great. Quit worrying. With these numbers it's almost certain that you do not have adhesions.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t know why I’m having such a hard time with this. Maybe because it’s my first ever surgery. I wonder if I have PTSD.
 
Just like the moderators tells everyone don't worry about your ROM it will eventually come with daily life's routine. I'm nine-month from surgery and every month that goes by my ROM gets better and better.

So hang in there it will get better.

I am three months post op, and very discouraged with my ROM and extension. Last I checked, I bounced between 105 and 115. Would you mind sharing what your ROM is at nine months? I have been told not to worry, it’s all I can think about. All the horror stories about adhesions has me a mental mess.

At three months my ROM was around 115. After six months I can get my ROM somewhere around 120 - 125. At nine months my ROM is 130 and if I push it I can get to 135. Way more than I need for daily chores.

Was helped me tremendously in the last few months I've been doing SilverSneakers Classic (Beginner) at the YMCA: Exercises are designed to increase muscular strength, range of motion, and activity for daily living. Hand-held weights, exercise ball, elastic tubing with handles for resistance are used. A chair used for sitting or standing support.

Out of shape and winded when I first started that exercise class but now I get through it with a breeze. Best advice for any newbie when you do any exercise give yourself 5 to 7 days rest before you attempt to exercise again.

Every week you will feel increments of getting better I know you want to be jumping out of an airplane with a parachute by now as long as you have no other issues with your new knee you will get there.

As Josephine the moderator (now retired) always told me, this is a journey, not a race.
 
Last edited:
If you’re back at work then your daily activities are really going to test your knee. Do you have a walking stick? I found that with my stick I didn’t worry about losing my balance and was able to focus on getting the heel-toe movement right. Without a stick I stiffened my knee and that can make you limp. The stick isn’t taking any weight, it’s just a balancing aid.
I’ve learned with my second TKR to elevate my leg on a footstool with a stack of cushions, icing at the same time. That way the knee “hangs” and it helps with the extension. Free exercise while watching tv!
 
Warning- Biggest Complaint Post Ever-I feel like I am rapidly going backwards, ever since my
Dr. had me go back to work at 6 weeks and they dropped off a flexion machine and an extension machine, where I am supposed to work on those for 60 minutes a day, after a busy 8 and a half work day, plus still go to PT twice a week= I am beyond miserable, I actually used my walker today, because I could barely walk-I am having the other TKR done in 4 weeks, I sure hope I can get it together in time and be strong for that-I have no energy and feel really weak-I have so much pain and only take Tylenol for it-I went with a 80 year old resident ( part of my job) to Lowes today and bought 20 plants, 6 giant bags of potting soil, and filled the back of my car with 50 pavers. Plus , my 90 year old Uncle with Dementia moved in with us -he got kicked out of his last 3 assisted living facilities for his bad behavior- so far, he fell off of the toilet in my guest bathroom and would not move 2 inches so the Paramedics could open the door, so they took an Axe and destroyed it- He was perfectly fine and then the next day, he pushed our expensive indoor American Rag Doll cat out of the house and we didn't realize it was missing for 5 hours because we were moving his stuff-he said the cat was a pain in his :censored:! We finally found the cat on the golf course behind our house-I hate my life right now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh Peaches, I'm sorry to hear about your stressful situation right now.
Try to remember that you have to practice self love. Right now you've got a bunch of stuff pulling at you and you yourself are not fully healed. Your body is sending you signs that it's not ready for the demands. Listen to it.

Good luck
 
Take a deep breathe, all will get better! Frustration, aggravation all part of recovery! Time is our friend!
 
Holy smokes, that's a lot to be juggling. Personally, and not that you ask, I'd stop the PT. And frankly anything else you can cross off your list. You have a baby knee and as you can tell, its not happy. Sorry your having to handle so many things.
 
Wow, that’s just not fair to you. I’m going out on a limb here, are you unable to extend your time off work to recover from your surgery? I’d have to have a chat with my surgeon. Also, would it relieve your mind to push back the next surgery? Not sure you’ll be physically and emotionally ready. This is none of my business, but your Uncle sounds like more than a handful. Patients with dementia can be soooo difficult to deal with. Are there other family members who can help? Is there a facility to your liking that handles memory-impaired patients? Are you the type who tries to help everyone and suffers personally. Right now your priority should be recovering from the knee surgery and not taking care of everyone else. Sounds like things have to change for you to get better. Please ask for help and let others know YOUR needs. Take care and come back to let us know how you are doing?
 
Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement, I actually felt ashamed at how whiny I sounded and tried to erase my post, but could not figure out how to do it- I am going to take all of the advice from above-cancelled PT this morning before my long work day-going to call my surgeon and be honest with him on how bad I have been feeling. See if I can work part-time or not at all before my next surgery- I really need to have it, my left knee has been acting up as soon as I got off of the Oxy"s-I actually thought it was cured, haha, until the pain killers wore off-it hurts worse than my surgery knee.
My husband is taking a leave from his job today to care for my Uncle , they put him on hospice and gave him some anxiety medicine and he acted much better, but can't be trusted to be alone-we have moved him 4 times in the past 5 weeks and we don't have the energy for it again.He was in a memory care center and set off every alarm they have on all of the doors within minutes of each other.ugh, my heart was starting to race every time my phone rang.So, onward and upward !
 
Wow Peaches0000! That was a lot to deal with! Glad your Uncle was ok after all- so sorry to hear about the door having to get destroyed. Glad to hear your hubby is able to take a leave from his job to assist with your Uncle.
Ask the Lowes employees for some assistance when loading that stuff up in your vehicle! You have to preserve all the energy you can for your healing.
Thinking of you and please know you are in our prayers. Post when you can.
 
ever since my Dr. had me go back to work at 6 weeks and they dropped off a flexion machine and an extension machine, where I am supposed to work on those for 60 minutes a day, after a busy 8 and a half work day, plus still go to PT twice a week= I am beyond miserable,
@Peaches0000 - That is plain ridiculous. No one needs PT after working a full, busy day. Work itself is more than enough PT. As for the machines - ignore them.

This is your body and your knee, and you have the right to choose what happens to them. You don't have to blindly follow orders, because you also have the right to choose whether or not to accept the advice that is offered,'
Use some common sense and take control of your own recovery.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used

Plus , my 90 year old Uncle with Dementia moved in with us -he got kicked out of his last 3 assisted living facilities for his bad behavior- so far, he fell off of the toilet in my guest bathroom and would not move 2 inches so the Paramedics could open the door,
You cannot look after your uncle. You need to take care of yourself and your knees. In fact, someone should be taking care of you.

Since your uncle has already behaved badly in other places, he is most unlikely to behave while living with you - and he has already proved that. He needs to be in a dementia unit, if there is one. There, they will understand that his bad behaviour is not a character fault, but is caused by his illness.

Who is with him while you are at work. It sounds as if he isn't safe on his own.

You have another knee replacement planned for early April and you will need to rest properly for some time.
You need someone else in the family to look after your uncle, or else your knee replacements will not heal well.
 
I'm glad to hear you have Hospice for your uncle. They usually have lots of services available like "sitters" to watch when you or hubby might need to run errands or (in your case) when you need to rest your knee. They also have the ability to prescribe medications that would be more difficult to get from a doctor to use to keep your uncle calmer and less of a danger to himself and everyone around him.

I'm proud of you for taking charge of your own situation and stopping all the madness. That knee needs tender care and to recovery as you prepare for your next surgery. I believe that now you're going to get that. Bravo for you!
 
Hi Peaches-I hope you've had a good day and hospice is giving you a much needed respite.
 
Hi, I had my left TKR done last Thursday, May 14-What is different this time is my husband has been in the hospital for the past 10 days- He was misdiagnosed April 1, from an Emergency Room ( the Virus has made everybody crazy here) they pushed him out the door with back medication- 25 minutes after I dropped him off-no x-rays or blood work done- Never was his back,It developed into a massive colitis infection, it perforated and he had a 7 hour surgery and another hour surgery one a day later. So, I am home alone-I forgot how truly miserable the pain is, also forgot I could not lift my leg up onto the bed-he did it after my January TKR-so I jury rigged my robe belt and wow did that hurt- I pretty much cried all night, especially since I could not get to the bathroom on time twice, :(. ended up taking a shower at 5 am-Weirdly, since I am forced to move around more , my bruising and swelling are not as bad as they were in January. My daughter offered to stay, but she has 3 small kids and a husband that need her more-plus, her spare time is being spent with my husband, her Dad, at the hospital, since I can't be there-that makes me happier-so this journey begins with a bang-PT is coming to change my bloody bandaid today-so glad I don't have to wear compression hose, because I would surely be tempted to wear them around my neck.
 
What a shock for you and your husband. Thank God it was found and he is now recuperating.
I jury-rigged my robe belt and wow did that hurt
You can also use your other leg to lift it and let it back down. I did that after all my surgeries. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy and quick.
I could not get to the bathroom on time twice
My first week or so I wore Depends, just in case.

I recovered alone and you can do it, too. You'll learn ways to do things, and after the first week or so things will get easier.

How long will your husband be in the hospital? You won't be able to take care of him when he gets home, so please plan on someone to do that, even if he has to go to rehab. You have to think of yourself for the next few months. Your healing and health have to come first.
 
Thanks, sistersinhim, his Dr. said he is going to tell him that he has to go to a rehab for a few weeks- he has not walked in a week and there is no way I can wait on him, as much as I love him, I tried the other foot thing, but I had that right TKR 3 months ago and it felt weird trying to lift it-its doing really good , but not perfect. I made a sling out of a thin blanket and it is working well- so far, so good.
Your right about my health and healing coming first now-I don't have any spare energy for anyone else right now.
 
You might see if your surgeon or GP would order a bedside commode for you. Most of the ones Medicare authorizes can either be used at bedside (so you don't have an accident) or as a frame over the toilet when you remove the plastic bucket. You may not need it all that long, but sometimes it can be nice to have around. I used mine on the toilet as a frame.

I also wore Depends for about 3 weeks. The anesthetic played havoc with my abdominal muscles and it took that long not to have accidental leaks at night. It's a bummer, but temporary.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I agree with you that the entire medical community seems to be a bit wonky because of COVID. I hope that begins to change back to normal soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom