ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

TKR PCL release post TKR<<

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@IronGirl6 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title to your latest title. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
United States United States
@IronGirl6 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title to your latest title. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
Is it possible to create a thread for those who’ve had PCL release post TKR and for those preparing for same? I’m having a hard time finding info on this. My procedure is in 6 days. Thanks!

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
Ok! Fresh out of surgery in San Francisco. PCL release, scar tissue debridement, MUA. Rock Star doc got me from 95° to 125°!!! Happy dance! I’m too wobbly and nerve blocked to try to do much yet, but soon!!! I can’t wait to finally ride a bike again holly cannoli!

More details as I come out of the drug wobble and haze and try this baby out!

PS - my fifth knee procedure including TKR and I honestly believe this is my first nerve block??? I didn’t realize when I stood up to put pants on that my leg wouldn’t cooperate lol! Soooo... maybe that’s why my recovery was so hellish? Nah... they couldn’t have done that without one, could they?

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
PCL Release Notes
Procedure Friday am. Sat am felt so stable and well that I could bear weight sans crutches and went to the hotel gym to pedal the bike for some gentle ROM. 3 hours in car caused a bit of swelling but no big deal.

Today / Sunday: resting and icing with heel slides between, walking unassisted. Leg feels totally stable, just still swollen of course. Didn’t even feel need for any pain meds, took Aleve for inflammation.

The sensations of something catching in my knee, and of something about to break when I tried bending, are completely gone. I have felt a slight shift in my kneecap and fibula, both Of which popped at times prior to this procedure.

Working on reducing swelling, will report back after I do my in home PT tomorrow morning. I have a feeling this will be a very successful and easy recovery! I’m so grateful!!! My year and a half of suffering are finally over I think!

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That's great news! What a relief for you. I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth and uneventful and you'll be back doing everything you want to very soon,

sistersinhim

Country
What a great post! It sounds like you are doing very well, better than you have in years. Yay!

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
Thought I’d check in - 5 months post PCL release, 1 year 8 months post TKR and I’m riding a bike and walking mostly normally. A bit stiff to start, biking loosens me up, working legs now with body weight exercises (squats, step ups, leg extensions / curls, straight leg deadlifts, clams, bridges) then lots of quad stretching after.

That being said, I still wonder if it will ever feel like MY knee. Still a bit foreign. Still seems a bit slower in reaction time. Still stiff to a degree, can’t grab my heel in a hurdle stretch as j. Ankle issues come and go.Sensations of slight burning down my shin where the metal lives. And a new found small ball of... bone? Metal? Eh? That feels kinda creepy...

After pandemic ceases (if ever in the USA oy vey) I’ll see my new surgeon to get checked. My awesome chiro doesn’t think it’s anything serious.

Did anyone out there not feel normal again for a few years? With both spine artificial disc procedures I felt they were mine pretty fast. This is rather alien.

In summation however - if you lack rom and it feels like bones might break if you forcefully bend, it may be your PCL. if a surgeon recommends releasing it - by all means proceed. I’ve had nothing but good from that almost painless procedure.

sistersinhim

Country
For less than 2 years out from you tkr and 5 months from your PCL release, I think you are doing fantastic. As for feeling like a 'real knee', it's very seldom that I think of it being 'not mine'. Sometimes I'll feel little twitches of pains and then I remember that it's an implant. But, most of the time I don't even think about it, except for things that I shouldn't be doing. I'd probably not be doing those things anyway!

Cementless

senior
Country
I just started reading your thread.....what is a PCL release?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I've just read about your PCL Release, @IronGirl6 . Which knee has had all these surgeries? If you tell us that, we can add it to your signature. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
How odd I made a sig w my knee surgeries, stem cells, and 2 ADR spine disc replacements... perhaps it doesn’t show when I post from my phone?

Thanks for the replies - so shin burning where implant is would be normal? Sometimes at night it bothers me, then I get paranoid it’s coming loose. I walk with zero problems... ‍♀

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
Here it is - shows up on my profile page?

PCL Release - February 28, 2020
TKR November 6, 2018 Stryker Marathon
Meniscectomies 2008, 2011, 2013
Spine Artifical Disc Replacement:
Lumbar, Axiomed Freedom Disc, 2010
Cervical, 2 level Medtronic Prestige, 2017

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
How odd I made a sig w my knee surgeries, stem cells, and 2 ADR spine disc replacements... perhaps it doesn’t show when I post from my phone?
It all showed except for the PCL Release, which I have added.
The signatures seem to only show if you turn your phone sideways.

OP
OP
IronGirl6

IronGirl6

Country
Hi there, question: almost 2 years after my LTKR, and 7 months post PCL release surgery, my function is pretty good - except for 3 things:

1. my patella is popping and dancing in there - which is painful sometimes, clicks sometimes, and mostly makes me fear for the life of the implant, and

2. on occasion, it does feel like my leg *could* bend backward. which is a BIT unnerving. I'm very quad dominant after my powerlifting years, and was told that it "can't", but the feeling leaves me not wanting to do some of our ranch work / walking on hills / etc, which is very hard on me and my lifestyle. I've got horses to care for / train.

3. I still suffer from stiffness, which can relax once I start riding my exercise bike or stretch, but it takes a good while, and it's still painful - I still do my little safe workouts nearly daily though.

Wondering if anyone else has had either one or both of these issues? Is there a way to fix this with some home PT? I have the best extension I've had in a decade in the leg, can actually flex my quad now, seems very strong. Perhaps I'm too dominant in vastus lateralis and need to work on v medius? I had hoped by now this knee would feel more like a part of me, rather than this. I occasionally feel the metal in my tibia too, which can be quite unnerving as well.

Always grateful for this forum!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
n9uib1967
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom