Guest viewing is limited

TKR Patella Clunk

I’m sorry you are still having issues and I hope you find something that will help.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
@Scouseman We have several members who had surgery to fix patella clunk. Most are no longer here as their procedures went very well and they are off living life again.

I hope you get that surgery scheduled soon! You certainly don't need to live with this pain.
 
@Jaycey
Thanks Jaycey!
I am waiting to see the surgeon some time soon.

I am hoping that any proposed surgery is minimal and as non invasive as possible!
 
Hi everyone,
I have a consult with my surgeon on Wednesday afternoon of this week.

It is looking increasingly like an arthroscopic procedure will be required.

I just need to balance this against my clotting history to assess risk.

Given that this type of surgery is less invasive, and I do have a comprehensive care plan to allow surgery to take place, I think that I should be OK!

Success rates are excellent with regard to this and not having painful clunking anymore will render my TKR a 100% success!

Will keep you posted!
 
Dear All,
I have arrived home feeling rather deflated and let down post my consult this afternoon.

My surgeon arranged for an x ray of my knee. This came back as totally normal.

The examination of my knee presented clunking and clicking, as did manipulation of my knee cap.

Moving forward forward, my surgeon advised that clunking and clicking of a new knee joint is common and perfectly normal.

He went as far to say that he could make any knee click.

Whist he could perform an arthroscopy of the joint, any benefits would be marginal, and would need to be assessed against risk of infection, internal bleed, which would be disastrous and leave me significantly worse off.

He chose to ignore the associated pain with the clicking and constant swelling of the joint.

He offered me the option of obtaining a second opinion from a colleague.

That thought of clunking my way to old age might result in me taking up his offer!
 
How disappointing! Please don't give up!
He offered me the option of obtaining a second opinion from a colleague.
I would absolutely take him up on his offer. Only problem is colleagues often support each other. But you have nothing to lose seeing someone else. Another consultant might be a bit more sympathetic to the pain you are experiencing.
 
@Jaycey Thanks Jaycey!
Feeling a bit flat!
Do any members of the forum experience clicking in their new joint? Is it an acceptable trade off against no more arthritic pain? Should I just accept it and move on?
 
Do any members of the forum experience clicking in their new joint?

Yes! As soon as the swelling went down, I noticed my new knee clicked. I'm 4+ months out and the clicking is still there, but has lessened quite a bit (either that, or I've gotten used to it :wink: ).

Either way, I have no pain in The Knee when I walk so, if I have to put up with the clicking for a while longer, it's fine with me.
 
@Jaycey Not constant pain.

Certain movements bring on the pain. Most common is when getting out of a chair or sitting down.

Also, when putting trousers on and taking them off.

I experience a 'jarring motion' that is extremely painful and not pleasant at all.

We all know our own bodies. I know that there is something not quite right with my new joint, despite what the x ray result presents!

I suppose that I could live with a clicking knee. It looks like I might need to live with the associated pain too!
 
@Scouseman Can you tell me who is your surgeon and what hospital you are attending? If you want to send a PM that's fine although we encourage members to name surgeons here. I might be able to help you find another surgeon who is not connected in any way to your surgeon or his colleague.
 
@Jaycey Of course! His name is John Davidson (UK based) and he is a surgeon specialising in knee and hip surgery, with a very good reputation.

His option of a second opinion extends to his colleague at the same hospital!

I am close to resigning myself to the fact that I may just have to grin and bear it!
 
I am close to resigning myself to the fact that I may just have to grin and bear it!
Don't think so! I'll do some research and hopefully come back to you with some options.
 
I did a bit of research. One of the problems in your area is that there are not very many "high volume" surgeons. You want someone who does 150+ TKRs per year. There just aren't many where you are.

So I searched for revision surgeon and these surgeons both have revision and complex revision in their profiles:
  • Ravindra Gudena - profile includes dealing with patella issues, revision surgery
  • Anil Gambhir - specifically mentions complications from previous surgery, also operates at Wrightington Hospital - a premier centre of excellence for orthopaedic surgery.
Here's the strategy I would suggest. I have done this for both my THRs. Both these surgeons have private practice at Fairfield Independent Hospital. They also have an NHS practice. If you can afford it, I would recommend you book a private appointment just for the first consultation. You will get more time with the surgeon and get a feel for what they are like to work with. I found that surgeons are much more relaxed at private appointments. If you are happy with the surgeon and their approach, ask to be put on their NHS list. Unfortunately you may have quite a wait due to covid. But you never know. Many patients are declining "elective" surgery due to the pandemic.

Do stress to the consultant that you are in pain and not getting any answers. As you said earlier, you know your body and that knee is just not right.

You will need a referral from your GP for any consultation. If they tell you that you can't choose a surgeon that you should not go private - be firm. You can choose to go anywhere in the country. And for a private appointment they will address the letter/message to a specific surgeon anyway.

I hope this is helpful for you. If neither of these surgeons works for you, please let us know. We can always widen the search to other areas.
 
Isn't arthroscopic less invasive? How is your recovery after that? I imagine it would be better. Glad you're resolving your problems.
 
@Jaycey
Good morning Jaycey!
Many thanks for taking the time to undertake this research on my behalf. It is very much appreciated!

I am aware of Wrightington Hospital and its excellent reputation for Orthopaedics! Not too far away from me either!

Ironically, my knee surgeon is also a specialist in TKR revision. I just got the impression that he simply couldn't be bothered!

I also paid privately for my consults with him and paid a lot of money for an x ray of the knee too!

Even though arthroscopic surgery is less invasive,the risks of infection and internal bleeding are significant. Something my surgeon stressed!

Given that he suggested a second opinion, I wonder if he could refer me to one of the surgelns at Wrightington Hospital?

I would be prepared to pay privately for an initial consult.

Jaycey, once again, many thanks for going out of your way to help me!
 
@Scouseman Always happy to help. I you want to travel to Wrightington I would recommend Prof Peter Kay. One of the best in the business! His website lists both his private and NHS medical secretaries.

I don't think your surgeon will want to refer to another hospital. You could ask. Otherwise try your GP.
 
Back
Top Bottom