Guest viewing is limited

PKR Partly Bionic / Having a problem

Agree with @mendogal - hope that you don't need full revision surgery and is a more local problem that can be dealt with by arthroscopic surgery.
As a fellow lateral PKR patient I am very interested to know how your lateral implant has held up until recently. Lateral PKRs are much much rarer than medials. Less than 10% of partials are laterals or patellofemoral. I think your dual compartment (lateral and patellofemoral) is even rarer.
I would be very interested to know how well you were able to move/ what you were able to do in the past few years before these problems recurred. I have an Oxford fixed lateral for almost two years now. Seems to be doing well but curious to know what triggered your current issues. Did you have knock knee/ valgus deformity in the past? That is the.commonest cause of lateral arthritis whereas medial pkr recipients are usually varus/ bow legged.
I am also very curious to know how your patellofemoral was doing. I do have some crunching/ crepitus in my patellofemoral area and I do wonder if I will need that addressed at some point- although it is only minimally painful currently.
Good luck!
 
Up until August 10th the replacement has been awesome. No pain and full range of motion. I am really hoping this set back can be sorted out. I don't do well with a sedentary life. My mental health is spiraling down. Also not waking up in pain would be glorious. School starts in 2 weeks. I am not ready physically or mentally.
 
I hope you received good news, fuzzy bunny and the pain you mentioned is
something that will soon resolve without any procedures.
Have a nice weekend!
@fuzzybunny
 
I had a CT arthrogram today. The radiologist wasn't completly confident in his assessement because of artifact from the metal. Impression is I have a undersurface tear suspected of the posterior horn lateral meniscus, except I have a lateral knee replacement so there is no meniscus there anymore. He also thinks I have a medial posterior root tear. I have been having more and more medial pain since this started. I see my doctor next Tuesday.

I am not excited at all about trying to scope the knee for a short term improvement. Also not thrilled at the prospect of revision to a total knee. Feeling very discouraged.
 
I'm sorry that the diagnostics weren't too helpful.
Hoping your surgeon has a solid plan you can get behind.
 
I am sorry you're feeling discouraged, but it's certainly understandable when you're unsure of the
direction you're heading. Hopefully you gain more clarity next Tuesday. Best Wishes for that appointment.
Please let us know how it goes. :console2:
@fuzzybunny
 
I'm so sorry that you are discouraged, but this is the place where everyone understands it. It's just not how you planned for things to go. Try not to overthink this before your appointment. Hopefully, your surgeon will have a plan you both can agree to ready for you.
 
I have having the knee scoped October 14th. Earliest available date. My doctor disagrees with the radiologist and thinks the medial meniscal tear is a flap tear and not a root tear. My biggest issue is the lateral replacement, with the supposed tissue trapped in it. I am not optimistic that the scope will help but at least my doctor will be able to see the inside of the joint. If there is a root tear he will try to repair it and I will have to be non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. My left knee is going down hill and I expressed concern it would be able to hand the stress. Both knees hurt constantly and wake me up at night. Worst case, he said I only have to wait 6 weeks after the scope before I could get it converted to a total. Need to this knee okay before I can deal with the "good" knee.

It's very difficut to teach my classes and then try to do anything around the house after. I don't want to leave the house. My happy place is outside moving but that isn't doable right now.
 
It's good to have a plan... but I'm so sorry you've got a longish wait with enforced inactivity and the concern about the other knee holding up (the latter was a real concern of mine, and in fact it was 4 1/2 months between the L and the R... which was quite manageable).
We're here for listening to your worries, providing encouragement, even distraction (the social rooms of the forums are great in the wee hours!)
 
I had my scope today. My doctor said I am keeping up my streak of being one of his most unusual patients. Despite removing the lateral meniscus for my partial knee replacement, it has started to grow back. I did have a flap tear of the medical meniscus. Also a large section of grade 3 cartilage damage on the femoral condyle. He's hoping this buys me some time. The next two months will give an indication of how I will do.
 
Hoping you do well over the next two months. Thanks for the update, fuzzybunny.
Please keep us posted and know that we're always here if you need support.
Happy Tuesday...I hope it's a good one for you!
@fuzzybunny
 
I would say that having your meniscus grow back is a good thing. Take it easy and don't overdo! Ice and elevate.
 
I know this has all been frustrating for you---don't you just hate being special??!! :heehee: In my dictionary, special = complicated, and I'd much prefer to be average at this point in my knee-journey. LOL! I hope you get a good plan of action soon and find some relief.
 
I am having sharp stabbing pains on the medial (inside) joint line. Barely had any pain there before the surgery. My hunch was I would be better off converting this to a total and skipping the scope. I fear it will take me months to get back to how I was before the surgery.
 
I'm sorry you're in so much pain, even after surgery was supposed to make things better. I dealt with ever-worsening medial femoral condyle damage from 2010-2019 on my right knee, and IT HURT!!!
After re-reading your last couple of updates, your increased pain makes sense. :banghead:

Once you're looking at Grade 3+ damage on the medial femoral/tibial condyles, the pain seems to persist even if it comes/goes in severity. Before my right TKR, almost all damage was on both the medial condyles (nothing lateral), but the underside of the femur was by far the worst. At one point, I had a Grade 4 channel/trench that was 2.5 inches long by 0.75 inch wide. BY the time I finally had replaced, the lateral side had completely collapsed, and I had 3 huge bone spurs----but the pain was still MEDIAL, not lateral. It was bizarre!

The doctors kept reminding me the pain was so bad because 95% of a person's weight transfers through the medial femoral condyle when we walk:yikes:. It's why minor changes in that area causes a major increase in pain. I wonder if that's what you're now feeling. I was told not to stand in one place anymore, keep moving, and that should keep shifting the weight off of the worst areas---easier said than done though, and it didn't help much..

For what it's worth, both of my TKR surgeons said people usually put off TKRs for lateral osteoarthritis much longer than for medial osteoarthritis. Many can't tolerate severe OA of the medial compartment because simple walking becomes too painful. As for me, I got VERY lucky!!!! After my first TKR, I got an additional 6 years out of my left knee because it was mostly lateral OA. Honestly, my drs were pretty shocked at how well I was getting around 6 yrs after the first TKR, knowing the left knee wasn't great back then. The medial side didn't flare up AT ALL until a year ago, but when it started acting up, things changed overnight!!!! Within 3 weeks, I had to either schedule the Left TKR or postpone most of my life. :headbang:I went from ZERO medial pain in May, to horrid medial pain in June, and walking was only bearable with short-lived cortisone injections. I'm still amazed at how quickly my left medial compartment fell apart.

I hope you're not progressing to needing the joint converted to a TKR anytime soon, but if things keep worsening, at least you know why.
 
Hi fuzzybunny,
I am sorry you're dealing with the pain you described. Discomfort is typical as the anesthesia wears off and inflammation sets in. Swelling around the knee can contribute to pain and stiffness. Stick with meds on schedule and icing. At only five days post procedure, it's too soon to question the results. Hang in there, it will get better.
Hugs and best wishes for your comfort. :console2:
@fuzzybunny
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom