Part gardening, part recovery post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy, so very pleased that maybe the issues you had with your knee are at last being sorted, especially by your masseur. I think I would have died if she had twisted my knee, but obviously it seems to only have done good, and I really hope you continue to address the rest of the issues you have and in a couple of months you will have made the complete recovery.:yay:

One thing, at least you can go around on your knees, at 7+ months there is absolutely no way I would be able to kneel, tried it recently and it was like an electric shock going through it. It has put me off trying again anytime soon, so all credit to you. Hope to read more of your recovery again soon.
 
Thought I'd share with you some pics from my garden. Have done very little this year, almost all of this is due to work done over the last few years. Still have a lot I want to do, but I'll just enjoy what I have for now. I took these pictures when I got home tonight.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    fountain3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 190
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    front bed.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 174
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    front rose bed.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 180
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    pope john paul rose.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 191
Here are a few more. I was surprised to see so much in bloom already.
The butterfly garden is mostly clematis vines right now. The bee balm is getting tall but won't bloom for a couple of months. In the middle of the mass of vines is a metal tree sculpture with a bird bath but it's overgrown right now.
The tulips are at the end and should have taken pictures a week ago but still enjoying whats left.
I look around and see all that I still want to do and it gives me motivation to continue to get my life back.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    butterfly garden.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 170
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    multi blue clematis.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 169
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    red rose 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 164
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    tulips.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 196
Morning DavRunner, the garden looks wonderful, love the roses, and the clemmies, can't wait for mine to be out in about another month or so. The fountain looks great to, isn't it lovely to be able to sit in the garden and listen to the sound of water running, its so theropeutical!

We too have a fountain, its a largish bowl with two children with a dog holding an umbrella as the upper part of the fountain. The water spouts from the top of the brolly and falls into the large bowl below. The birds absolutely love it in the hot weather and stand on the umbrella to catch the "rain" falling on it. I will post a piccie of it soon.

Can't believe we have so many gardeners too on BS. Long may it continue. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.:flowerysmile:
 
Thank you Aretha,
I took up gardening after being told I could no longer run due to arthritis in my neck and lower back. It gave me something to do to stay busy.
The fountain isn't complete yet but is up and running. I bought it at an auction and it was a blue green verdigre (sp) color. I sanded it down, primed it and painted it a metalic bronze when the sun is shining you can really appreciate the sparkle.
I also have a waterfall into a fishpond on the other side of the deck. Water lillies are just coming up so won't be long before I have blooms there as well.
At the back of the rose garden I was looking for something to separate it from the fountain area and I bought these concave metal trellis that I cemented in the ground as a fence, they are covered in clematis on one side and climbing roses on the other.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    calla lilly.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 160
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    henry clematis vine.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 188
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    top view of rose garden.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 185
  • [Bonesmart.org] Part gardening, part recovery post!
    don juan climbing rose.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 194
Lovely! I have a clemmy by my front door called Josephine! A present from my niece.
When it's in flower I'll get a shot and post it.

It has a double wammy bloom - when the outer petals drop, the inside creates a secondary bloom


 
This is an inspiring group! I now want to get of my chair and go out in the yard. I really enjoy looking at the photos of the gardens. Thank you everyone.
 
I've spent a lot of time and money on my garden this week..... Our house was a new build and the garden was just a square of mud when we moved in. Had it turfed (spring 2007) initially with cheap stuff as it was all we could afford but eventually had enough money to get it decked, slabbed and raised beds built (summer 2008) However, we then couldn't afford to fill the beds with soil until the following year!! In May 2009 we had 5tons of topsoil dumped on the drive......but then I couldn't really afford many plants!! I 'transplanted' my container garden , cordylines, yuccas etc, had a few donations from friends and bought a couple of plants.....all a bit of a hotch pitch really and not what I'd had in mind at the outset. Anyway , that was fine until the extreme weather this past winter- my cordylines and yuccas have died :0( my garden was looking very sad.

So my green fingered mum has been to stay this week and we've been on a mission to get it tidied up a bit. I've bought quite a few new plants and we've moved things around. My limited budget didn't go far but it looks better than it did and as things start to develop it will be lovely. I'm not sure of all the names but I planted dogwood, mini conifers, forest flame, anenomes, pansies, foxgloves, red robin, I've got 2 baby clematis that have popped up again from last year and I planted some mona Lisa lily bulbs in pots.

Obviously I'm a novice, and you guys are so much more clued up and have lovely gardens, I'm enjoying seeing the photos and have found this thread quite inspiring. I will post some of my 'kindergarten' garden for you to see. By the way I loved the herb buckets and plan to use that idea - my Jack Russell loves to pee on anything at his level!!

Just need nice weather now so we can sit out in it.
 
Jo, I wish I enjoyed planting things. Luckily my neighbor is retired and he does all of the planting for me!:wink1:

I will tell you that I got out tonight and hand vacuumed my car and scrubbed down and polished the inside. Does that count for anything?:th_heehee:


 
Your yard sounds lovely! I love to play in the yard and dig in the dirt, and my knee has prevented that for several years. I'm 4 days post-op, and ready to get through this phase so I can go out and play again. Thanks for sharing.
 
It counts for loads, Sonja. Something I've never been into, washing the car. But luckily we have a car wash just down the road. Young chap has set himself up with several power washers and various other bits of kit in the car park of a disused factory. Does a wash and wax for £5! And it's not just a quickie! He sprays it with degreasing stuff, then foam, goes over it with a sponge, power washes it again, then sprays with wax, then hand leathers it and the tyres get that special wax treatment as well! Takes about 45 minutes in all - all for a fiver! He does interior valets as well but I've not had one of those yet - maybe next time.
 
Man, Jo.....I'm driving my car over to Great Britain to get it done from now on!!! I just had mine washed and cleaned on the inside and it cost $30!!! And I thought that was really good since I've seen that most detailing is more like $100!!!! Yikes!!
 
Jamie, I would drive to Kansas City! We pay 50.00 to have a detailing done, or we do it ourselves which I found to be very therapeutic!:biggrin:
 
Sonja....I'm in Kansas City. Actually, I got a VERY good job done the other day for my $30. I was plenty happy....just kind of poking some fun. But I have actually seen some $100 price tags. I'm not sure what they would do for that money that they didn't do for my 30 bucks, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't need to be done!!!
 
Jamie I know you're in Kansas City! That's why I said that!:th_heehee:
 
does it count at all that i had a landscape designer come to the house today? since i've been home so much, i finally noticed how sorry the yard looks! hope she can make it more water-friendly and weed-enemy.
i do have a small organic veggie garden in the back, though. my roomie planted it this season and all the beans are looking very healthy. i love picking dinner up in your own yard after work. love this thread! thanks.
 
I got up this morning, all raring to go in the garden when Mr Cystitis decided to pay a call! Ended up flat out on the settee most of the day. Still, I got the rest of the broad beans in and got 4 machine loads of washing done, hung out to dry and put away. So maybe the day wasn't totally wasted. Feeling better now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom