THR Paranoid and worried about everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was my first PostOp PT session at Orthopaedic office, another 30 minutes of discussing the does/don't then reviewing a new daily exercise program. Funny that now I am hearing from my PT that ICE and ELEVATION will be my "best friends" for the next several weeks. We discussed the excessive swelling I am having and its basically a byproduct of moving around a bit to much / to early. I understand the thought process that due to PostOp recovery protocol, the body needs to heal. Still having a hard time sleeping comfortably or staying in one position longer than an hour, I find myself getting om my feet and shuffling around the house with the "pimped walker" in order to lessen the pain until the next med session.

I am also beginning to realize that boredom will become an issue very soon. I do not watch much regulare TV, my local cable company sucks so right now I am doing a Dexter Marathon binge via Netflix.

Anyone have other recommendations for how they handle the boredom of staying home in recovery mode?
 
Oh boy the boredom! I had a little nest of different thing to do all around my recliner:) Netflix has been my best friend. There are many excellent documentaries and Netflix originals that I depended on to keep me sane. I also have a journal, nail kit, crossword puzzles, books and I down loaded a few goofy game apps on my IPad. I also was on this forum at all times of the night reading and posting ALOT! Sleeping in your recliner is certainly ok. Each day I would try the bed, until one day I stayed there for several hours. It does just keep on getting better. Finding the place where you are not overdoing it is challenging. Listen carefully to your body and back off if needed. It definitely is slow and steady with a few steps forward and occasionally a few steps back. And as you already know, ice sandwiches were definitely my best friend. Take good care!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Elevating and icing is imperative. My dad didn't believe it would make a difference, but he soon realized how important it was. Once he began his swelling went down.

Well, over on the TKR side I always recommend The Crown on Netflix. There's quite a bit of history and John Lithgow plays Churchill. If you can purchase Starz for one month there is a phenomenal series called The Missing. I began watching during a free weekend and had to purchase for a month to finish and find out how the mystery was solved. There are two seasons, so 16 episodes I believe. Of course if you can read that would solve the problem, but I was unable to focus enough to read at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of things I have learned so far, 5 days PostOp:

9) While your pimping out your walker, there is plenty of room in the front to attach a small bike basket, you will learn to appreciate this simple modification when making those late evening snack time runs to the kitchen.
One of my biggest regrets in life now is that I had my surgery before you and missed this post and the chance to "pimp out my walker." I am thinking of retroactively pulling it out of the garage to throw on a basket, retractable grabber, and other assorted upgrades. Outstanding idea.

Also, very glad that you seem to be doing better and are on the mend. It WILL get better and easier.
 
We attached a plastic basket to my dad's walker when he had his THR. It gave him independence and allowed him to collect the mail, carry his newspapers and even small meals.
 
I am 7 weeks post op tomorrow and have tried to keep myself occupied. I found a couple of shows on Netflix to binge watch; work on a jigsaw puzzle; read; walk; games on ipad; light housework...ugh. LOL. In the early days, my concentration was not that great so spent more time with the remote and Netflix. As I gradually felt better, I added more things to do. I can easily get bored but this hasn't been too bad. I know once I get back to work, I am going to say....I wish I was home! LOL
 
Post Op - Week 4 Update:
The last several weeks have been a major roller coaster ride, especially the first two weeks at home post op. The first week was I think "typical" based on what I have read so far within this forum and I felt comfortable at the time given my initial paranoia with the procedure in general. The one item during the first week at home that was a bit abnormal in my opinion was the major headaches I had during the day, especially if I got in front of the computer, any "bright light" would set off a throbbing migraine headache.

During week two, things started to get worse, the pain was to the point that the narcotics were not helping, my hip seemed to swell even larger that in week 1, I did not have any fever, BP and rate were normal but I had a serious leakage problem of some nasty yellow looking stuff but it did not smell. I made the call to the doc's after hour service just to make sure and I was told that since I had no fever or elevated HR/BP infection was not an issue and a trip to the ER was not really needed. After the call, I was still paranoid and found myself taking my temperature and BP every couple of hours. At the end of week 2 I had my first post-op with doc, he said the wound looked "OK", but had a slight concern due to the redness and leakage in some areas. I had the staples removed and the doc prescribed some antibiotics for the next week just in case, Next appointment for 2nd post-op review is 3 weeks away.

Week three was a complete reversal, pain was now manageable, no more leakage issue, overall I felt good and was able to move around a bit more. By the end of week three I felt I was about to say goodbye to my trusty pimped out walker and upgrade to a cane. I was doing PT at the doc office three days a week, plus doing my normal stuff at home, I was finally able to get into my bed and sleep normally, I was feeling very confident that this was a good sign of things to come.

Week 4 started great, wound has completely closed so no more dressing. I was off the hard narcotics now and simply using OTC for pain management, I started driving again and felt my mobility increasing.. things were definitely looking good...

By mid week, after my 2nd PT session on Wednesday I noticed that as the day progressed the pain on my right hip was progressively getting worse, it felt like the pain was now shooting down my leg and affecting my knee and ankle, by the time I was ready to go to bed I was unable to put any weight on it. This routine happened again on Thursday and on this past Friday's PT, I was unable to complete the session due to the pain. Today 4/29 I have to use the walker again, any weight on my right leg is extremely painful, whats weird is the pain is different from what I felt during week 2.. what the heck is going on, is my recovery going backwards now... anyone else experience anything similar? :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom