When you say 'your concern was that you couldn't bend you knee well' what does that mean
How much time do you have, this could be a long post!
Well, as I said, I was pretty clueless going into this surgery, in spite of the reading I did before it, it was such a shock that I couldn’t bend my knee afterwards. I guess I should have expected that, but I didn’t. So right off, that was my biggest concern.
But then despite the really good numbers in my records, because they always pushed my knee painfully to measure, my actual functional ROM wasn’t great. Even after finding Bonesmart I just didn’t have the nerve to tell them (PTs and my surgeon) not to force it to measure.
So I was as really stressed about keeping them happy with my bending.
What was the reason for the setback and how did you deal with it?
When I was 4 months post op we went to visit friends for the weekend. The day we were supposed to go I remembered their standard low toilet and I knew I’d have trouble with it. I considered cancelling, but we went. Dealing with that toilet was worse than I thought it would be. There was nothing nearby to help me get up or down. How many times does one use the bathroom in a weekend. My knee hurt a lot by the second day and by the time I got home on the third day I could hardly bend it.
I rested it a lot, iced and elevated it, just doing daily activities, and it took me a month to feel like it was bending better.
Then at that point, 5 months post op, my son got married 90 minutes away. It was a 3 day weekend of overactivity, driving back and forth, and too much standing, and not much elevating even when I did sit. My ROM was really low again for another month.
It was slow to come back. My leg just felt so tight. Thankfully my next check up was not until my 7 month anniversary, then after that the one year mark.
My whole first year was sooooo stressful. I felt like such a failure. “Nobody” else I knew recovered as slow as I did.
But now I know better. I have recovered but in my own timeframe. We each recover in our own timeframe. I wish the professionals would stop pressuring us to meet their timeframes.
I have not had a good outcome, it’s a partial, and to be honest, nothing has been the same since that 4 month weekend away. I think I triggered something that may have been inevitable anyway. Patellofemoral partials don’t always come out well.
So, I do have lingering issues, but ROM is not one of them. My whole leg relaxed in my second year which enabled my knee to bend more. And, now I’m 2.5 years post op and my ROM is even better.