Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Pain!!!

and he would get mad that I wasn't working to maintain this zero rating.
Well he is not in charge of your recovery, your knee is, and all knees are unique. Treat it gently and give it time.
 
My MUA changed the course of my recovery. I never looked back! Bending was the issue - it’s now possible to function normally. No idea what the number is. Don’t care. But it’s definitely over 90, which I could not get before.
 
Does anyone find it harder to go down steps than to go up them or is it just me?
 
Many of us found it took longer to go down comfortably than up.
 
Going up stairs vs. down the stairs is one of those physiological anomalies, I believe it has to do with our surgical knee needing to bend a tad further in the downward move, than in the upward move. I'd have to measure the ROM to prove it though :heehee:
 
No idea what the number is. Don’t care. But it’s definitely over 90, which I could not get before.

I loved reading that because it seems everyone (besides people on this forum) were obsessed with the numbers and if I wasn't hitting them then I would never reach my full potential. Thanks for sharing!!!
 
I have a question that I'm hoping to find some answers. My manager was wondering if a heating pad would help my knees. He said that heat will expand the blood vessels caring rich oxygenated blood to the area which may help in the healing process. Any thoughts on this? Also, I might have over did it a little today because my knees feel tighter than normal. I had attempted to go grocery shopping and then my son wanted me to go to another store where I walked a little more. Can I do any harm to my knees doing this? Thanks!!
 
I don't know what the intelligent answer to your question is, but my knee jerk, emotional response is NO WAY!!! I am enjoying the cold from my icing machine right now and heat would be just the opposite.

As for overdoing, in the past that has set me back in my recovery because then I have to sit and ice and rest until the swelling and pain goes back down which can take hours to days. So I try not to overdo but it happens anyway if I am not careful.
 
Your knees feel tighter when there is some swelling within the knee. A heating pad would bring additional fluid into the knee making it more swollen. For now icing is the way to go. We all have overdid it when it comes to recovery. You won’t do any damage but as Carole has said it may take hours or days to get the swelling back down.
 
@Carole4815
@newlybionic
Thanks to both of you. As we are all well aware everyone wants to give their opinion (my manager) but until they actually go thru it they really shouldn't give advice. :heehee: That's the reason I wanted to ask someone from this forum because I knew I wouldn't be mislead. :thankyou:
 
I'm sure it sounded logical to your manager though.
Re walking. That's the only form of rehab I did. Just kept moving between sessions with my knee up. Walked round the flat every hour, then round the garden and grounds, then included a few steps graduating to several flights of stairs. Remember 'up to heaven and down to hell ie good leg up first but operated leg down first.
Shopping was OK as I loved the supermarket trolleys to push.
Take it easy. Try not to stress and suddenly you'll discover that you've got a good bend. Forget the numbers! Good luck.
 
Is it normal for people that have had a BTKR to be able to bend one knee better than the other one. The one that's more difficult to bend has a sharp pain when I bend and this pain has been there since my surgery. However, it doesn't feel bad when I do bend it not until I relax it or when I'm walking and then I feel the pain again. I've read that everybody is different when it comes to ROM but I thought it was odd because they were done at the same time.
 
We always say no two knees are the same, and interestingly that seems to apply to knees that were done at the same time as much as those done months or years apart.
 
I've read that everybody is different when it comes to ROM but I thought it was odd because they were done at the same time.

I love the way one of our advisors, @maryo52 described her observation of a bilateral knee replacement:

“They did the left knee first and then the right, which went easier because they'd figured out the correct components on the left which means there was more tourniquet time, more putting on and taking off of components, and generally tweaking of the artificial joint on the left. So it was no surprise that the patient's right knee recovered more easily and with less swelling. Who knows how much each of our knees get tweaked and manipulated during the surgery, resulting in more tissue trauma?”
 
I'm almost 4 months post OP Bilateral Total Knee Replacements and almost 3 months post OP MUA which did nothing but set me back. Has anyone had trouble moving around after sitting for a half hour or longer. It seems every time I sit for work or to elevate and ice I feel like my legs are so stiff. I wasn't sure if this was normal.
 
Hi and welcome. We have all sorts of recovery here, some fast, some very slow, so your situation can be quite normal.
Four months doesn't seem too bad, particularly as you had an MUA. Of course it set you back, abusing your poor knee like that. It's a great shame you didn't join us before that decision was made.
I think we need a bit of info, like what bend were you getting when the decision for an MUA was taken, and what is it now?

Have you had a browse around in the library section, that's a mine of brilliant info about recovery. I'd post the links here, but alas I've never worked out how to do that, but there are several cleverer people who will be popping in and doing just that.
 
@seatac,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
@Pumpkln
@Tykey
Oops sorry about that. I knew about the one thread per person but for some reason I thought the way I just posted that would work... apparently not, lol. I was adding the time frame for a reason to show that it's been a little while since my surgery and didn't know if what I was feeling was normal. Again, sorry for the extra work you had to do.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom