Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain

gm miss belle.my date aug 1 ..as you can see by the time i dont sleep good(i have yet to get a soloid 6 hours) ...i dont have much advice, all i k now is what these caring people of bone smart have taught me..right at this point i n time have have sooo[ much pain in both knees brings me to tears too tears..it been impossible though to find the perfect combo of drugs...sometime s they will give me a break and hurt only slightly...even then it is betterthan the pain i had beforehand so that gives me a little hope at the end of this endeavor..my pt group ask me every session how i feel and what i am up to..never ever inflicting any pain.. there have been times when i get there i feel like pt will cause more harm than good..they will then just give me a massage elevate and ice my knees witb a tens machine and let me relax my pain away..they are great...i have good rom, but as you find out from bonesmart.now is time just to heal..you can find good pt people.remember you the boss.you payin them....good luck we all feel you..show your pt guy this text and tell him you dont have to take it.
 
97 at this point is good, but there is no window of opportunity for ROM. You can gain ROM for up to a year. I was released from PT with 109, but continued to bend more and more for a year.
 
You're doing wonderfully! So good to hear that you had a nice talk with your PT and are now working with him. Sometimes we just have to let others know what we need; if not, they will give us what they think we need. Far better to set things up ourselves. You rock!

ROM can improve very slowly, which is frustrating. Just know that even if you don't see improvement right away, it's coming your way. Your knee is healing and you can get there without causing yourself more pain.
 
I am two days ahead of you in recovery. I have found that I can sleep on my recliner. I tried the bed last night and couldn't do it; however, for some reason the recliner works. You are making great progress. Keep up the good work.
 
I'm glad you stood up for yourself and spoke honestly with your PT. Good for you! Hopefully you'll be able to relax, ice, elevate over the weekend.
 
Yippee for sticking up for yourself! It worked! Now, be sure and stick to your guns and not let him talk you into something unhealthy and unhelpful!
 
That is so frustrating for me! I'm in miserable pain, do the math and you would know that I'm not taking too many pain pills
 
For the first 2 weeks following my TKR, I had 6 sessions of very aggressive therapy (therapist forcing flexion of my knee resulting in me yelling, begging him to stop and crying). Because of this type of therapy, have I caused irreparable damage to my knee? I feel that I've caused a tremendous set back!
Thursday at therapy, an assistant told me that surgeons have literally seen scar tissue set up while patient was still on the table Is this true?
 
BamaBelle,
Sorry to hear you are working with an out of date physical therapist. It is swelling blocking your ROM, all that pushing and shoving has caused even more swelling and inflammation. What your knee needs is TLC so it can heal.
As you have found out aggressive PT has set your recovery back.
We cannot rush recovery, but we can set it back by doing too much.

begging him to stop
When you asked him to stop and he continued it is an assault, you have withdrawn your permission and he had no right to continue.
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Suggest you stop going to PT and let your knee heal, or at the very least find an PT clinic with up to date gentle physical therapist who understand healing.

Thursday at therapy, an assistant told me that surgeons have literally seen scar tissue set up while patient was still on the table Is this true?
Emphatically NO, this is a outright lie.
Our incision starts healing as soon as it is closed, like it is supposed to. Left alone our bodies know how to heal.

Time to Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed.
 
Last edited:
Be Sure to go back and read the recovery guidelines KarriB left for you in post number 3.
 
That comment about scar tissue appearing on the operating table is even more reason you should find a different therapist. This person is not in touch with reality and not a good choice for you. There are good ones out there if you feel you need therapy. But frankly, you can heal just fine on your own with gentle bends and stretches and walking. The aggressive therapy hasn't hurt your implant, but it's certainly made your soft tissues very, very angry. That's going to take a while to settle down.
 
So sorry you had to go through increased pain and crying. I feel at therapy I "push"myself a little beyond comfortable, but because I am the one in control, I don't do anything painful. I could not go back if someone else was in control and pushed me into pain. When you are expecting pain, you tense your whole body up, and that is not good. I feel I get more out of my exercises when I am calm, and relaxed.
 
Because of this type of therapy, have I caused irreparable damage to my knee? I feel that I've caused a tremendous set back!
No, you haven't cause irreparable damage to your knee. The aggressive therapy has set back your recovery for sure, but you can recover from that, given time.
What that aggressive therapy did was upset and inflamed your already-wounded soft tissues, making them hot and swollen. It takes time for them to settle down again and become less swollen. But it will happen.

Time is on your side. It does take as long as a full year for complete recovery, and you will be able to recover from the set-back caused by the aggressive therapy.

There's no need to rush to get ROM, or to worry if it seems to be slow in coming, because ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even longer, after a knee replacement.

Just do everything you can now, to keep your knee happy and as pain-free as possible.
 
Just curious to know if others have tried aqua PT and if so, how did it go?
 
@BamaBelle
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Many members have benefited from aqua therapy, your incision needs to be completely healed before you go in the water.
 
Well I did not have a good experience, but my surgeon had PT put me in a pool at 4 weeks post op. It was a 50 minute session. I have no idea how many times I had to bend my knee in the exercises they gave me, as well as lots of walking, frontwards, sidewards and backwards. I couldn't wait to get out of the pool!

And it took me literally 3 days to recover. I did not go back to the pool.

It was also a YMCA pool and there was a large group of people in the pool. I worried about picking something up, sickness-wise. Thankfully I did not.

That is when I searched stopping therapy online and found Bonesmart.

I personally only know one other person who didn't like it, she had the same surgeon and PT group I did. She worried about getting sick also. Everyone else I know liked it.

My community has a pool and I didn't really like being in the pool at 4-5 months post op, on my terms. I ended up stretching almost constantly and overdoing it so I stopped going.

Also, any time I'm in the water, even the shower, my knee feels huge. It doesn't seem to like water.
 
@BamaBelle I had Aqua Therapy before my knee replacement and I loved it !!! I love swimming and getting into the water. It is just relaxing. You should consider it. You can always tell them no and switch back to land PT. Although like Jockette said it is walking and bending and things like that.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom