TKR Pain, Swelling after 14 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Judy and my apologies for not getting back sooner, mom.
I was prescribed Tramadol, then Hydrocodone-2 tablets every 4 hours to help with PT pain. This didn't seem to help, so started the BS 'cocktail' today.
But how much Tramadol did you take (in mgs) and how often? I've frequently found that people are only taking the smallest dose and are then surprised when it doesn't work.
I ice after exercising and when it is hurting the most.
Ice more. It's the best pain reliever.
Haven't been elevating leg as much - Pt didn't say to.
I trust you are now? It was in the articles Judy left for you earlier.
I still have scar tissue which is painful to touch on left side of scar. I still have the indention above my replacement which is sore to touch.
If it's any encouragement, many people continue to have tender scars for ages. Mine is still tender in places even after 4½ years.
Pain is located between R2 and R3 and B, C, and D on grid. Scar tissue on R4 middle of C and D.
You mean like this?
[Bonesmart.org] Pain, Swelling after 14 Months


That looks like it could be ITB (ilio-tibial band) on the left and Iliopsoas syndrome on the right. Check out the articles and see if the descriptions sound familiar.

What is your activity and exercise routine like - give me every detail .... like housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. And what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
I must be one of the 1% who takes longer to heal.

This statement is proof of how out of touch doctors can be! Do they really believe only 1% take longer to heal? No matter.

It's very easy to go backwards on the pain control front with a little too much activity. So please do reply in detail to Josephine's questions so we can help you problem solve!
 
It's been fourteen months since my TKR and still experiencing constant pain.swelling. It feels like a bad bee sting. 2 doctors opinions: undissolved stitches/neuromas. Dr. just put me on steroids and gabapentin. Go back in 3 weeks.
Getting very frustrated. I teach school and because of constant pain will retire this year. Sound familiar to any of you?
 
@momteacher.... I have merged your latest post in with your recovery thread. You would have received no comments by posting it in someone else's recovery thread and it needed to be in yours so that we could look back and see your history. Please post any updates or questions on your situation here.

And....taking a look at that it appears this pain has been a constant with you since the beginning. You say you received a second opinion from another surgeon. Was he a revision specialist? This is critical because these doctors are the ones used to seeing problem cases and identifying what needs to be done.

So, I think it's time to seek out someone who you know is a revision specialist and have a chat. You should not be in pain after 14 months. I'm also going to tag @Josephine so that she can comment.
 
I am 17 months out and still in a lot of pain which have gotten 2-3 opinions from different doctors. One says neuromas along the scar tissue which are very painful and sting; one says undissolved stitches. One says nerve damage. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years before knee surgery. Before surgery, I was doing well with the fibromyalgia. Since surgery, pain and burning also present on upper thigh and back of thigh. Still getting down about this. Help please!
 
Hi @momteacher
I have none of the other symptoms that you have and don't have pain. My nerve damage has caused quad lag and general quad weakness, but has been improving extremely slowly. So sorry I can't really help with your issues. Have you had EMG and nerve conduction tests done? At least that would rule out nerve damage. I had them done in November 2013 and it evidenced that I have nerve damage, likely from the femoral nerve block but nobody can be 100% certain it was that.
 
@momteacher......I have moved your posts in campervan's thread to your own recovery thread as any responses you receive to your questions would derail that thread. When you have an update or question/concern about your recovery, please come here to your thread to post it. That way we can not only get your questions answered, but we can also maintain your recovery journey in a single place. This helps people who want to read about your story and it helps us see your history before providing advice to you.

Regarding your continuing pain.....it's good that you obtained some additional opinions. Boy, it must be frustrating to receive varying ideas of what the problem might be! So what have each of the doctors recommended for you and what has been done in terms of treatment?
 
I would see a neurologist and have a nerve conduction test if you have not done so already. It might help pinpoint the source of your pain. My best to you!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hello momteacher!
I know very well what you are speaking of with regard to the tight band feeling. I had bilateral TKR on April 9, 2014 and most of the time it feels light I have about a 4 or 5 inch rubber band around the front of my knees. It limits my mobility at times and it feels as if it is shutting my circulation off. I hate that feeling. I am trying to get completely off the hydrocodone but find I still have to take it at bedtime, physical therapy times, etc. I hear various comments about the tight band feeling......everything from "It's normal" to "I have never had any feeling like that at all." I have also read that it is due to scar tissue. I go to my doctor on this upcoming Tuesday so I plan to ask him about it. It is very discouraging & I was glad to find someone who understands this "tight band" feeling even though I am sorry that you, too, are experiencing it. I will follow your posts in order to find any information that would help me with this. Hopefully, time will take care of it for us! :)
 
Hi, @chlong14.....welcome to BoneSmart! It might be helpful if you started a recovery thread of your own. You may have other issues or questions besides this one that you'd like to know about.

Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library you may be interested in:

Tight Band Feeling

You'll find this condition does improve with time. But it can be around in some form for months after surgery.
 
@momteacher , here is your thread so others can see your history an better answer you questions.

What treatments are you receiving for you pain? medication, therapy, etc.
 
Still getting down about this.

Hi momteacher. I wish I could suggest something that would help you. The thing is I am in much the same boat. I haven't got a date yet for my second opinion. Its going to take about 13 weeks. But of course if I learn anything that might help you or others @chlong14 I will be sure to let you know.

I am hoping I will be able to have an MRI scan. It doesn't involve surgery and should show what's going on with the soft tissue. My tight band is exactly as chlong14 describes it. After 16 months I have little faith that it will go away on its own. Carol
 
Hi Momteacher. My LTKR was 2 years old June 27 and the RTKR will be 2 years old Oct. 1. I don't have pain of any sort but I have this tight band feeling 24/7 that I can't get out of my head. It feels like either someone has their hands around me strangling my legs or I have duct tape wrapped around them. I feel like it makes me walk weird sometimes just because of the tightness. I probably have 120° ROM and I have no problems with stairs etc. I just want to feel normal and I'm tired of waiting. I can ride my bike for miles, I swim and do deep tissue massage, none of which changes things. The only thing that seems to make a difference is when I take Advil and Tramadol. I feel like this takes my mind off it for some reason (I read Tramadol does something with the perception of pain.) I just want to feel normal like you. My doctor has said everything looks great in the X-rays and suggest I go to one of his partners to see if anything can be done about scar tissue. I may do that as last resort. I have tried acupuncture and laser therapy also. Keep us informed how your recovery goes. I just want to hear anyone say it can still get better after 2 years.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear that, Cflower. I'd try massage once a week for several weeks and lots of stretching exercises.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom