TKR Back again, 1 and 2 years post op

Honey007

Country
United States United States
I just had 2nd TKR and feel great. I will be happy to recommend my DR in Nashville as he gets patients referred to him from several nearby states.He is a Dr. I used for my first TKR last July, as well as my second TKR today

Surgery went great just curious on your personal “ Pain Scale” As they ask me for mine every few hrs and I really do not know what to say. Because I am just laying here, it would be a 1. However as the day progressed, it did hurt to move or walk. I am saying a 5 or 6 but it is bearable. Please share your thoughts!

i searched high and low for a great Dr. and found mine thru the assistance from this Forum. As part of a hospital and surgery center for replacements I met patients of his who came as far as 2 states away due to their physician referral.

i am not sure if we are allowed specific recommendations publicly but happy to PM anyone who needs info.

from start to finish, every person I encountered from various departments involved was so warm, professional and committed to excellence.

Walking - Last surgery they waited to early evening to walk -this time, I was assisted in walking even faster _ 3 hours after surgery, and it was no problem at all. I used rest room and even went down hall and back. of course the meds used in surgery helped. But I think having had surgery before, I knew what to expect,

I was told that so many patients experienced pain right after surgery and they found that getting leg moving right away helped this a lot:

So just curious, after surgery, what is your a Pain Scale.?:elevate:

Last edited:
Good to hear you've had a good start. I'm sure you are quite correct in that the pain meds put into your knee are fundamental in your progress.

I just had 2nd TKR and feel great. I will be happy to recommend my DR in Nashville as he gets patients referred to him from several nearby states.He is a Dr. I used for my first TKR last July, as well as my second TKR today

Surgery went great just curious on your personal “ Pain Scale” As they ask me for mine every few hrs and I really do not know what to say. Because I am just laying here, it would be a 1. However as the day progressed, it did hurt to move or walk. I am saying a 5 or 6 but it is bearable. Please share your thoughts!

I am not sure if we are allowed specific recommendations publicly
You certainly are welcome to recommend someone publicly. We will also put the information in our database in case another member is looking for a surgeon in your area.

I'll leave a copy of the recovery guidelines here for you:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

The pain scale is very frustrating, you can be fine one minute and the next your pain shoots right up the scale.
One reason they are asking to determine if you need pain medication, if you feel you need pain medication tell them it is an "8+", if you are OK give them a number under "5".

I'm not fond of the hospital pain charts at my hospital as they're vague and not precise enough (IMHO), so I gave this 'improved" pain chart to my doctor. He got a kick out of it and I got my point across.

Attachments

• pain.jpg
    pain.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 386
You certainly are welcome to recommend someone publicly.
We will also put the information in our database in case another member is looking for a surgeon in your area.

Thank you Dr Christie is wonderful. He is in Nashville at Southern Joint replacement part of Cenrenniel Hospital system. I met a man who came from St Louis at his physicians referral to Dr. Christie. One of the nurses told me he gets referrals from several states away.

The gentleman was having both knees replaced and he and his wife stayed at a hotel nearby for two weeks to do his rehab here. I remember him on a follow up and he was doing great.
very easy and convenient as they have their offices at the hospital.
Dr. Christie is kind, warm, honest and dedicated. Very knowledgeable and uses a brand of knee parts designed not to wreck havoc on body as many foreign objects may normally do.
He does book up quickly but with COVD had openugs quickly this time,
Maybe best to have your physician call for appt but def. worth the weight.

i am very picky and have a sixth sense about people. I got bad feelings from 3 prior Dr.s for one reason or the other.
i immediately knew Dr. Christie was the one for me.
Leavung hospital today after 2nd succesfil implant!

Last edited by a moderator:
i am very picky and have a sixth sense about people.
You know when you "click" with a surgeon. There is not much you can do about the results. But if you trust that surgeon and can have a good relationship with him/her - that is ideal.

Thanks for the recommendation!

sorry to make this additional thread but I had a question about support stockings after TKE as I was given a pair for my first knee and instructed to wear them for two weeks as I recall to prevent blood clots.
This time I asked my nurse if I would be given a pair and she said no, they are no longer required. I believe that is what she said.

My husband is so worried about me getting a blood clot so we found mu pair from my previous TKE.
Can anyone advise if they are still needed and if not why? They are very stretchy and go up past my thigh
Thank you!

@Honey007
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you Don't worry that we won't see your question as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

To answer your question:
Thank your lucky stars that your surgeon and your hospital don't require the use of support stockings.
There is little evidence that they do prevent blood clots and they're awkward, uncomfortable things.

Instead of wearing them, make sure that you do plenty of ankle pumps
and take a little walk around the house every hour or so that you are awake.
Early mobilization - but not to excess - is one of the most effective ways of preventing blood clots.

Keep taking your anticoagulants (blood thinners) as they are prescribed, too.

Thank you for this information that is wonderful news!!!

Had surgery Sunday for second knee. So far it’s been amazing. My husband can see a huge difference vs last time. I’m rolling around on my walker and have little pain compared to last time.
I had terrible pain after surgery last July, inback of shoulders. I found out this year I have some arthritis in neck which once in a while causes shoulder pain.
well the Dr. was very accommodating when I told him and instead of keeping my arms out to side during two hours of surgery, they brought them in closer to my body.
so far so good!
question - by my third day maybesooner, I had no appetite at all for many days. Everything tasted weird - this time other than dry mouth, I am eating and food tastes normal. Is it medication related perhaps. Not complaining but it was nice to lose a few pounds.!

I am eating and food tastes normal. Is it medication related perhaps.
Now you know why we say literally every surgery is different even on the same person. Some people totally lose their appetite post op. Others comfort eat. I tended to eat what I was craving during recovery. Post the first THR I lost lots of weight. After the second I gained weight. :shrug:

Thank you yes it is so strange. I remember craving a meatball sub last time. I could only take a couple of bites of food a day. I think it took me three days to eat it.
This time I’m saying “ why is the pizza delivery taking so long- I’m starving!”:shrug:

All three of my surgeries I was starving for weeks after. I was lucky that I never had much nausea except immediately after surgery. The most recent one the hospital cut me off when I tried to order a 3rd breakfast :rotfl:

Well the pain is here! First physical therapy today and I could not make it. Bawling in pain and nauseous. Had not taken any pain pills since one last evening and now I’m paying. I know better!
Feels like a truck ran over knee: I love my PT as they took such good care of me when I had first knee done last July.
i just went to clean up before appt and had To have my husband call them to reschedule.
i can still do some exercises here as they went very light on my first day last year.
I would say the pain is a nine.
The honor of a 10 pain level would go to the two tiny kidney stones I have had in past!:bawl:

I’m so sorry to hear this... but... it was probably to be expected. I felt AMAZING for about 36 hours and then BOOM... the pain came crashing down. Stay on top of those meds and you will round the corner, I’m sure.

hope you feel better soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics