TKR Back again, 1 and 2 years post op

I'm not adding to my original thread as thinking it will not post new.
Any time you add to any thread, it jumps up to the top of the list, so I moved your new post to your most recent recovery thread.

I‘m sorry your knees are upset over something. Since the Pelaton is the most recent thing that is different, it would seem that is the culprit. Knees never hesitate to let us know when they don’t like something. I hope this settles down for you quickly.
 
@Honey007 .... you were smart to keep the Pelaton at it's lowest setting (I'm assuming that means no resistance). But starting with 20 minutes was the problem. With knees - even those that are well out from surgery - you need to begin any new exercise or activity very slowly.

Go back to babying the knees for a bit with some Tylenol for any pain, rest, ice and elevation. Once the pain is gone, start again, but make your first session just 5 minutes. Wait a day and see if everything is okay. Then you could try 10 minutes. As long as you're giving yourself a day in between and there are no problems, you can add time at 5 minute increments every other day. Once you get to 30 minutes, you could start filling in with some time on the "off" days. But again, go slow until you get to the point you're doing 30 minutes a day with no pain afterwards. Approach any further increases in either time or resistance the same way. If at any time you get pain the next day, it's your body saying it's not quite ready for that level yet. Back off for a while and try again in a week or so. These things take much more time than you think sometimes. Your body will let you know when and if it's okay to proceed. Right now it's telling you - noooooooo.....not that quite now!
 
And just to let you know, we can change your thread title for you any time you want, just let us know. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm not adding to my original thread as thinking it will not post new.
Any time you add to any thread, it jumps up to the top of the list, so I moved your new post to your most recent recovery thread.

I‘m sorry your knees are upset over something. Since the Pelaton is the most recent thing that is different, it would seem that is the culprit. Knees never hesitate to let us know when they don’t like something. I hope this settles down for you quickly.

Oh thank you! I have missed you all!
 
@Honey007 .... you were smart to keep the Pelaton at it's lowest setting (I'm assuming that means no resistance). But starting with 20 minutes was the problem. With knees - even those that are well out from surgery - you need to begin any new exercise or activity very slowly.

Go back to babying the knees for a bit with some Tylenol for any pain, rest, ice and elevation. Once the pain is gone, start again, but make your first session just 5 minutes. Wait a day and see if everything is okay. Then you could try 10 minutes. As long as you're giving yourself a day in between and there are no problems, you can add time at 5 minute increments every other day. Once you get to 30 minutes, you could start filling in with some time on the "off" days. But again, go slow until you get to the point you're doing 30 minutes a day with no pain afterwards. Approach any further increases in either time or resistance the same way. If at any time you get pain the next day, it's your body saying it's not quite ready for that level yet. Back off for a while and try again in a week or so. These things take much more time than you think sometimes. Your body will let you know when and if it's okay to proceed. Right now it's telling you - noooooooo.....not that quite now!

Thank you, I agree with all you said. I also should have mentioned I have Psoriatriac Arthritis and have been trying to build strength so I will be able to have a wonderful time in Wyoming this June. I envision missing everything as I can’t really hike and it’s so much walking. I guess I overdid it. It feels like Ive been whacked in the knees with a bat. Have been given a steroid pack by my Rheumy - so cranky and hungry. Also got out my ice packs. Have not hurt like this since my knees were replaced. You all are amazing.
 
I guess I overdid it. It feels like I e been whacked in the knees with a bat. Have been given a steroid pack by my Rheumy - so cranky and hungry. Also got out my ice packs. Have not hurt like this since my knees were replaced.
I’m so sorry! :console2::console2:
 
This will pass. Hang in there and let us know how you're getting along with all that knee pampering. Your knees will soon love you again.
 
This will pass. Hang in there and let us know how you're getting along with all that knee pampering. Your knees will soon love you again.
Jamie, I’m getting a bit concerned. I can barely walk on my left leg. its Going on about 7 days now, and I am still barely able to walk with my knee pain on left leg. My right has gotten considerably better. I saw my Orthapedic a few days ago. They did not do an X-ray, just static it was my sciatic nerve as the pain was also in my back and two nerves are compressed, one going to front of leg. The pain I feel is more like my Meniscus tear years ago when my whole arthritis mess started. Should I push for an X-ray from ant of my physicians? It does not feel like nerve pain, more like I’ve been kicked by a horse. Just not sure an X-ray could tell if anything is torn. Sorry to be a baby. I was doing pretty well till I decided I was going to try to get fit once and for all!
 
If you're still concerned, then make an appointment to go back and talk with your surgeon. You could ask for an x-ray, but since both knees were affected right after you rode the exercise bike, it's most likely not a problem with the implants. An MRI might show any nerve compression problems or if something has torn and you could discuss that option with the surgeon. He may recommend that you see a different doctor for sciatic issues, as it's not his specialty.

If the problem is sciatic pain, it can take a while to settle down. Try not to force yourself to walk if you're in pain. That only makes things worse.
 
I took a bad fall out of state last Tuesday, coming down hard after tripping over a tree root and landing on a gravel dirt area in search of a baby moose down below. It was our last day of our long awaited trip to Jackson WY.
I hit the ground with such impact landing on my left knee, elbow and hands.
I screamed like I’d been hit by a bus. I don’t remember feeling such pain.
We ended up in the ER. My knee by now the size of a grapefruit.
The everything- no breaks luckily, however, my knee is still hurting almost as much as that first day which happened 9 days ago. I cannot put weight on my left arm still, but my knee is my main concern as I had a TKR in 2020.
Knowing there are no breaks, I’m concerned about the knee regardless. Swollen, unable to bend much, the swelling goes down that leg to my toes.
should I wait before consulting a Dr? I know contusions can look nasty and hurt a while.
im wondering if I injured anything else especially around the knee cap area ( which is metal now)

You all have helped me so much in my previous surgeries!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Back again, 1 and 2 years post op
    52FE10C8-BCE3-4692-8386-132EC5BFA1B2.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 65
@Honey007 So sorry you had a fall! I'm not surprised that knee is still looking angry. Have you iced and elevated to try and get the swelling down?

If I was in your position I would be inclined to check in with your PCP. These implants are tough. But just to make sure and ease your mind you might want to get another examination.

Please keep us updated!
 
Another member of our staff, @Jockette, took a fall around Christmas and it took her months for the pain and swelling to go down. But, it did, in its own time.

As Jaycey said, ice and elevate as much as you can. Soft tissue damage takes a while to heal. The implant should be fine, but you can always contact your doctor to be sure.
 
My PKR is 6 years old and I fell, back in December, coming in the house from my garage, and I mostly landed on the PKR. All I could think of was revision! Well, in my case, after X-rays and an Ortho check, I “only” had soft tissue trauma. I did bruise a lot, and had quite a bit of pain and swelling, couldn’t hardly bend my knee, but over time (like, 2 months!) it all healed, all by itself. I hope that’s the case for you!
 
By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Ouch! That is quite a bruise you have there. I am so sorry to read of your accident and resulting pain. I hope you recover quickly. Please keep us posted. We do care. :console2:
@Honey007
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom