Bilateral TKR Pain on the insides of my knees<

I had one of those Disney days of pain 14 months before btkr. I’d had a cortisone shot which lasted about two days by the way! It was rough!
My almost 9 mile trek through Disneyland a few weeks ago was great. I was also fighting a cold. Believe it or not the next day, my calves and thighs were a little sore but not around my knees, I thought that was really something.
Actually today I had a little break from work so stopped at a place nearby called Descanso gardens and walked a good mile and a half. So now I’m working on getting my weight down, which will be a bonus for My knees too. I read through an earlier post of yours regarding walking. I remembered I really had to teach myself how to walk again!! Remember my PT asking me to walk for her and I remember walking like Frankenstein. And I had to mentally tell myself heel toe heel toe! I think for probably a couple of months I had to consciously tell myself heel toe!
 
1. Pain level about a 2 - mainly on this funny soft tissue pain on the insides of my knees. Night time pain can go up to a 4. Not bad really for 6 weeks?
Okay, guess not!
2. I no longer use any prescription meds. Panadol x 1000 x 3 per day
That's fine
3. Swelling is moderate, vacillating from one knee to the other as to severity.
Okay
4. Because I’ve not seen a PT or have any other way of exactly measuring my ROM, I can but say that right knee is WELL beyond 90 and left knee not so much. The biggest stumbling block being the swelling and the pulling on the scars.
And what's your extension like?
Read this to see how to assess that for yourself Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
5. I elevate at least 3x per day for an hour, usually icing at the same time.
Good
7. Activity level is minimal. I can’t sit on a chair for any extended period, so I mostly spend my time pottering upstairs, reading lots. My DH and my daughter are my policemen and housekeepers.
Also good
8. Exercise I do just about 0 of no PT. Some leg extensions only to where I’m comfortable, knee raises when I remember. I do some upper body weight lifting from a seated position. Has stood me in good stead when it comes to manoeuvring myself in and out of said chairs.
How about doing none? You don't really need them you know, so long as you are walking about reasonably well. Did you read this Activity progression for TKRs
 
So, if no activity is what these brats of mine want, that is what they’ll get. Learning the hard way [emoji102]. The shooting pain on the inner knee is still bad. Fortunately I don’t feel it all the time. It STABS from time to time; sore enough to make me gasp. I need to dead-head my roses, but that will just have to go undone. This year’s summer garden will just have to be less pretty than I like to have it.
Thank God for good books and Kindle [emoji56]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
When oh when oh when will this nerve pain on the medial sides of my knees let up???? I’m soooo tired of this pain and being immobile as a result!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am so sorry you are having such pain. Did you call your OS or BP about it? It sounds like you're having what we call zingers. These are cut nerves that are reattaching or rerouting. I still have minor ones on my lateral side. As time goes on yours will get less severe.
 
Where is this pain? Can you tell me using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain on the insides of my knees<
 
Had my bilaterals on November 27 last year, so I’m just over 4 months of recovery. Had to stop taking normal analgesics because it interfered with my already dicky heart rate. Going for an angiogram to check for boogers in the ticker. But the knees are healing at their own pace. Seeing a biokinetic specialist in the warm pool at my gym to strengthen my gluteus medius and minimus in the hope that this will reduce the knee pain. How these work together only they will know..... The knees themselves aren’t sore at all any more. It’s the bits around, ligaments and patella, that are uncomfortable. But my OS is happy with my progress, so I shan’t complain.
 
@AnnieC - You will see that I have moved your post from SpaceKnee's thread to your own thread.

By putting the above post in her recovery thread, you were disrupting her thread, which should be about her own recovery. Instead, you talked only about your own knees. I'm sorry you've been having problems with your heart and I hope that has now cleared up.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

I see that you didn't come back to your own thread, back at the end of January, when Josephine posted a question so she could help you. It's difficult to help you if you don't respond.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom