Bilateral TKR Pain on the insides of my knees<

especially when hubby doesn’t understand or try to.
But, we do understand! We have been through this, all the ups and downs of it. Unless someone has been through this surgery, they can't understand what we are talking about. Come here any time you need someone! We are the shoulders you need to lean on!
 
My girls have been SO wonderfully protective and supportive. I can’t thank them enough.
Super!
We all become pretty obsessed with our knees and it's easy to focus on each pain or weird feeling. Or to think that our recovery is taking longer than it should. That's what's so helpful about Bonesmart. All of us have been there or are going through it now. You sound like you're doing well, btw.
 
Can emotional distress make your knees feel worse? I had to put my 18yo Maine Coon to sleep yesterday and it broke my heart. Last night and today my knees have been giving me hell.


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
I do believe emotional stress makes our knees feel worse.

I’m so sorry about your kitty. We had a Maine Coon also, they are beautiful cats.
:console2:
 
Any kind of stress can cause extra pain. I believe the muscles tighten up, thus making your knee hurt more.

I understand your tears. I had to put my 21.5 year old cat down 2 weeks ago. I still 'see' her sometimes when I walk into a room. I pray for your comfort, both physical and emotional.
 
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a 16-year-old Maine coon. They are such wonderful little creatures.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
I'm so sorry to hear that you had to let your Maine Coon cat go. It's a very hard decision, but I'm sure you did the right thing for her.
Yes, I believe that grieving for her can increase your pain.
 
I’m coming up for 5 weeks post surgery and the knees are looking good. The left knee still has tantrums but not much I can do for her. So tired of the night pain at this stage. When does it go away? I really feel it has overstayed its welcome now ....


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
Beyond praying for the pain to go away, is it ok to do acupressure on these bionic knees?


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
We don't recommend needles anywhere near the knee. Too easy to get an infection.

Normally, night time pain is an indication that you are doing too much during the day. Try cutting back on your daytime activities for a few weeks and see if this helps your night pain.
 
Goodness! If I did more I’d have to be catatonic LOL. I go up and down the stairs once a day and I walk for 15 minutes every other day. And on Monday I will already have finished 5 weeks post bthr. But, if less is required, then less it will be. Thanks @sistersinhim


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
Unable to do a leg extension on my left leg. There is a rather nasty pain at 2 o’clock which I just cannot work through. My OS used my old patellars, but I doubt that could be the issue? Slight pain when I manipulate the patellar, slight pain when I rub on it. Extending my legs properly without pain was something I really looked forward to [emoji29]


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
Annie, you don't need to manipulate your patella or rub on it. Leave it alone and let it heal. Mother Nature knows what she's doing and she will heal your knees without any intervention. Given time, your kneecaps will move freely again.

IT's only just over a month since you had this major surgery. Complete recovery takes a full year.

Do try not to expect too much, too soon from your knees.
 
But why does it hurt so when I straighten that leg? So scared the pain won’t go away. Lived with it since my 40’s. I’m now 65 .....


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
But why does it hurt so when I straighten that leg?
For a long time, you've had legs that won't straighten. The large muscles and tendons at the back of your leg will have shortened.
It takes time and gentle treatment for them to lengthen again. You can't do that quickly and it won't happen instantly. It could take months before your legs will straighten completely, but that's all right, because you can continue to see improvement for at least a year.

It's not at all unusual for extension (straightening) to take longer to achieve than flexion (bending).

The TKR is not an instant-fix for everything. While it deals with the damage caused by osteoarthritis, it doesn't immediately fix all the soft tissue problems that have resulted from having arthritis. It takes time and patience for all your soft tissues to heal and adjust to the new mechanics of your replacement knee.
 
That’s just IT @Celle, I WAS able to do leg extensions on both legs. When I lie on my tummy, letting my legs hang down from just above the knee, it goes as straight as normal. There is the aching on the inside if the knee which I spoke of originally, but it doesn’t stop the knee from straightening. It’s when I sit on a chair and try to straighten the left leg from the knee that it is VERY painful in the upper left quadrant. This worries me a bit. I’m not forcing it. Too much of a ninny for that .....


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
Since trying to do that exercise hurts, don't do it. You'll be able to do it later, but it's not necessary now.
Remember the guidelines we gave you:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
 
Wow, but these knees are temperamental! All hot and red and achey this morning because I tried to do 2 tiny little squats .... <grumble>


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom