TKR Pain meds Problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did ice as much as I could. I have a small fridge in my office and the freezer is not so great. The pease started to go bad and smell horrible. Had to throw them away.:) I'll bring in some icepacks for the office.

Oops! I like those gelpacks you can get in various sizes.
 
I'll check em out. Coming from someone with a penguin as an avatar, they must be chilly good.

Bill
 
Hi PDX,
Ha!! Smelly peas. Only when I eat too much asparagus. Sorry, maybe a little inappropriate, but I just couldn't resist.

Today I'm 8 weeks out. Pain is reduced. I won't say tremedously, but certainly significantly. So that's a major plus. I'm sleeping much better. Doing my PT 3X a week.
But I'm still in the same place with the meds. Kind of anxious about starting the wean. I'll see my pain doc next week and will ask him to lay out a game plan. Don't lose sight of the fact that I've been taking these pain meds for a number of years, even if it was a low dose. There's a high level of apprehension in me.
I'd have to say overall I'm coming along.

Best,
Bill
 
You might find that as you wean there is a little anxiety caused by the withdrawal. If there is no hurry, then slow changes in dose, a week apart or more, will not be bad I don't think.
 
Maryo52,
I'm sure there will be anxiety. Our bodies have gone through a beating and get used to these drugs. There's no hurry. I'm seeing my pain doc this week. Will discuss it with him.

Thanks,
Bill
 
2 months and 10 days out. Only pain relief I'm using any more is a pair of OTC time-release acetaminophen (650mg) morning & bedtime, 1 Norco 5/325 at bedtime (and about to wean back to half a pill, which I had been using pre-op just for sleep); and the occasional application of Voltaren gel before either physical therapy, a long driving trip, or having to perform standing up >1 hr. Didn't notice any anxiety from tapering down drastically from opioids (remember, when I returned home from rehab I was on 5 mg. time-release hydromorphone twice a day and six Norco 10/325 per day). For a couple of weeks, I had to add 5-10 mg. of valium after throwing out my back; I'm off that now, using topical menthol liniment (Sombra) instead. This brings me in just under the 3,000 mg. daily recommended max for acetaminophen (though in the UK 4,000 mg. is considered permissible). No oral NSAIDs ever again.

However, one unpleasant side effect is that my culinary appetite has returned to near-normal levels, and my sweet tooth and carb cravings are coming back as well. While I was still on 60 mg. of Norco plus twice-daily hydromorphone, my PT had explained, after I boasted I was eating like a bird and had no sweet cravings, that when when taking all those opioids the brain's pleasure center (endorphin receptors) is occupied by the opioids and there is neither room nor need for sugar or starch (or whatever type of dietary no-no floats your happy-boat). Now my brain is saying, "Hey, you don't need those opioids anymore, so gimme bread, pasta and sugar." (Oddly, no desire for potatoes or rice).

So it's back to disciplined low-carb eating. The difference, though, is my pre-op diet was protein, fats, green veggies, berries, unsweetened almond milk, nuts, occasional Greek yogurt and flax/chia seeds and very low-carb (<2gm/slice) bread on alternate days--no portion control necessary other than satiety. Now, however, I am practicing portion control, have switched to healthy fats (more fish than meat), and have added more fruits (still no bananas, apples or pears due to high glycemic-load) and a very small occasional amount of high-fiber starch such as wild rice, quinoa, buckwheat groats, flax and muesli cereals--plus the prunes necessary to counteract the side effects of iron supplementation. Bye-bye pork rinds. Trimming the fat off my steak. Adios, prosciutto. Bacon only 2-3x/wk. No more heavy cream in my lattes--just unsweetened almond milk. My weight has held steady at 187--where it was a month post-op. (Upon leaving rehab it was 197; after last year's RTKR it was 224--I don't count the 234 I weighed when released from hospital to rehab due to the post-op edema--and when I began my diet in Feb. it was 217).
 
Sandy, I didn't realize your TKR was just a few days before mine on June 21st.
I give you a lot of credit for being so frank about weight loss and gain. It's a tough subject in my house. My family has the fat gene, I'm sorry to say. My wife battles it every day. My kids have the ability to put it on. My side is not quite as bad, but it's there. But thanks to my wife, we all pretty much watch it. It ain't easy, to say the least.

I have a feeling weight is a factor for many of us here. After my surgery, I totally lost my appetite. I would be hungry, but after 2 bites, I'd push anything away. I lost 25 lbs. I'm a big guy to begin with so 25 is not a high percentage of my weight. At 6'7" tall, I was at roughly 280 pre-surgery. Now I'm under 260. To look at me , though, I'm not fat. Remember, I'm 6'7". But when I went for my pre-surgical testing, the internist told me, "you're BMI puts you in the obese catagory." That kind of blew me away. No one has ever called me obese. No one calls me fat. But if you go by the numbers, I guess I was. So the battle of the bulge rages on.

On to pain meds:

I saw my pain doc yesterday. I told him I wanted to start tapering off the 10/325 Norco. I've been taking 8-10 pills a day. I'm ready!! He was very reassuring, telling me to start by maxing at 8. Do not take 9; do not take 10. Take 8 for 2 weeks. Then go down to six and so on. He pointed out that I did it when I had my shoulder surgery and I'll do it now. No reason to rush it. I may still need some so just take it easy and don't worry. He gave me an Rx for clonidine to take once a day. Has anyone had any experience with clonidine?

It feels good to have a doctor whose business is pain meds and understands. I think my surgeon is great. I've recommended him to many and they've all used and like him. But surgeons just don't get it when it comes to long term pain med use and weaning off. I stongly suggest that anyone in the forum who is having any doubts about pain meds, to see a pain management doctor. Whether you're not getting what you need from your general doctor or your surgeon or if you feel you want to stop and you're having some withdrawal anxiety, see a pain doc.

Hope all are progressing well.

Bill
 
Bill, I hear you. The obesity gene runs on the maternal side of my family too. My husband & son had always been thin, but after my son quit smoking and was drinking soda instead of coffee to get his caffeine (and knocking back a few with castmates after his shows), he decided to quit carbs and hit the bike & treadmill. Husband is beginning to get a bit larger around the midsection, so I've stopped serving starches with dinner (and when we go out, I order veggies rather than spuds as the shared sides).

My 3 days in-hospital, besides the hydromorphone twice a day, I was given 2 Norco 10s every 4 hrs around the clock--12 pills. First day at rehab, I got cut back to 9 and then 6, where I stayed until I began tapering a month ago. You're a big guy, though ("guy" being more operative than "big," since men's livers handle drugs and alcohol more steadily than women's), so no wonder you're allowed a larger dose.

These days "obesity" is defined by one's BMI, or Body Mass Index. What makes that such a crock is that the only two figures by which BMI is calculated are height & weight. Not age, gender, lean muscle mass, nor body fat percentage. "Obese" is any BMI 30 or above, "overweight" is over 25 for men and 24 for women. According to that, an NBA player in prime condition would be considered "obese." I used to be a lifeguard as a summer job in college. One of my tasks was to teach the incoming seniors on the local high school football team to swim well enough to pass the Red Cross' Beginning Swimmers' test--a prerequisite for a HS diploma in NYC. (Drivers' Ed. wasn't taught, but you couldn't graduate without proving you could swim). These guys were all solid muscle and bone, and sank like stones because they had so little body fat. Yet their BMIs would have classified them as "obese!"
 
Sandy, great to see you in here. As usual, you are waxing wise! Lol! I love your informative, straight - forward input! What have you been up to? How is the knee? Joyce
 
Hi, Joyce! How's your knee doing? I spent an Internet-challenged week downstate mixing and recording, then did a concert in Rockford, took in brunch and the Air & Water Show with Bob and had some frantic artist-booking to do all week (as the booker for a change) that finally came to fruition yesterday. Whew! My flexion is great--just doing stretches for two weeks helped me achieve a full revolution on the upright bike! Will tell more in my recovery thread so as not to hijack this one!
 
Sandy,
Funny, I grew up in Queens and went through the NYC public school system. I don't ever remembering having any swimming requirement. About the only think pool-related I do remember is from high school: people used to talk about the non-existent 5th floor pool in a building having only 4 floors.

I've started the weaning process. Slow and easy is the word (3 words). wish me luck.

Best,
Bill
 
Hi bill,
I'm glad you are weaning down with a doctor :) it's the only way to do so, smoothly & with out any problems.
You will be just fine, please don't worry.
Have a wonderful day,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, Diana. I think in large part is knowing I'm not going this alone. Having a doctor there who understands helps tremendously.

Bill
 
Hi, Bill,

I grew up in Brooklyn and attended PS 183, JHS 252 (Somers), and Tilden HS (all of which have now been decommissioned and are charter schools). Because Tilden had a pool and our gym teachers probably meant well, we were told that unless we could pass the Red Cross Beginning swim test we could not graduate. I was exempted from taking swim class (offered during jr.year) because of not just horrible dysmenorrhea that'd have kept me out of the water over 25% of the time anyway, and a semester-long bout of colitis, and invoked a chlorine allergy sr. year (the pool was very heavily chlorinated). So I was allowed to take the test wearing goggles and nose clips. The swim coach was furious after I'd passed, saying my form was good enough that I should have been on the synchro team instead of "sandbagging" my way out of swim class. A month after I graduated the chlorine levels were lowered to the point where I could actually work at that pool during the summers of my college years.

Oddly enough, in most U.S. high schools, passing Driver Ed. is a prerequisite for graduation. It wasn't in Brooklyn, but it was a prereq. for getting a license to drive at 17 instead of 18. (There was no such thing within the 5 boroughs at the time as a "junior license"). It wasn't even offered at any of the public high schools in Brooklyn--only at a few private ones. But here's the catch-22: in order to take the course back then at a private high school or a certified driving school, you had to become 17 by the time of the road test. And only high school students--not graduates--were eligible to take the course and get licensed at 17 rather than 18. I graduated at age 16. So I was ineligible to get even a learner's permit until 18--which I got after my dad taught me. But I never took the road test in NY because my folks' insurance agent told them the moment I got licensed their premium would triple. So rather than take the road test and immediately lock my license away till I left home, I just gritted my teeth and took public transit. Got married at 20 (3 wks after college graduation) and moved to Seattle the next day so my husband could start grad school. First thing I did after getting an apt. was take the AAA refresher course and get my license....which stayed locked up in our desk drawer till we were able to afford a car. But my husband had to wait to 25 to learn to drive, because no insurers in Seattle would insure us if we had an under-25 male driver in the household! So same thing--I taught him, he took the AAA course but only got a learner's permit which we locked away. He finally got licensed at age 33 in Chicago, when he got tired of having to take trains & buses (or make me drive him) to moonlighting ER jobs during his cardiology fellowship years. Until then, he had no time during med school, internship or residency to take refresher lessons! Ironically, he drives at least twice as much as I do now!

Our son went to a private prep day school in Evanston, which didn't offer Driver Ed. either, though IL requires passing the written test in order to get a HS diploma (no such requirement for a GED). So he took the course at a certified driving school, passed the written test, got his learner's permit, and after a few lessons decided he hated to drive and had no problem taking public transit. He's 28, and like many of his urban buddies has no desire to drive--he's familiar with the public transit systems of Chi., NYC, DC and even Paris. And he can hail a taxi with the best of them!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom