THR Pain Limping 7 months out of THR/Pit Bull Attack

I will do,. Trying to get into a third ortho as I just want someone to explain to me via diagnosis, imaging or experience what is causing this and no one seems to want to or care enough to help me. My next stop is out of state and lets see what happens there....My PT says be patient in a few weeks you will be better but to be frank im not sure PT is going to fix this although I am working her program exactly as prescribed but have still no improvement 6 days later.....the foam roller is brutal on my thighs and IT band and not sure what that signifies. Lee
 
@leelee2004 I'm going to suggest a couple of things just for you to consider - feel free to ignore what does not fit for you. 1) check the bottoms of your shoes - the ones you wear most often. Are they worn down? Were you wearing them frequently before you had the hip replacement? If yes then get new soles on them or get new shoes! The old wear patterns could be contributing to your pain and current limping.

2) You mentioned earlier that pain and limping got worse in August. Were you doing anything more strenuous then? Any new activities or close encounters with big dogs?

3) One thing that often happens when someone has a frightening encounter like you described with the pit bull is that elevated adrenaline can cause the memory to get burned into your muscles. Sounds odd I know but "muscle memory" is a real thing. You might try finding a licensed massage therapist who has experience working with this and get some over all (not just focused on the hip and leg) massages to try to release those trapped memories.

I suspect ( not a doctor or a nurse but I did work in a medical, not orthopedic, setting for 24+ years), that your current problems are more muscle and/or tendon related rather than a problem with the hip joint/implant. And such problems often do not show up well on x-rays or scans. The whole area was traumatized by the surgery and then shortly after that it was further traumatized by the attack, so you've probably been unconsciously protecting that leg and tightening muscles to protect the area. Which alas, while understandable, is not letting things heal properly.

I sincerely hope you soon find relief from your pain!
 
Hi Deb,

Please see below replies to your post and thanks for responding.

1. I have all new shoes and I am only wearing these...

2. In late August I did have to move some heavy plants around my yard as house was power washed and they moved and left everything out in middle of yard. This took quite a bit time and the plants were very heavy. so maybe some correlation?

3.I have been receiving massages on a semi regular basis and they feel good but not helping much.

4. I am just trying to find someone that can tell me what is wrong so I can make a plan to address and move forward. I did not realize that this person was going to be so difficult to locate as I am not able as of today to find anyone to help me get better but I am not giving up.

5. I also think it is muscular, tendon, back? perhaps related but also no DR so mere speculations since I tend to know my body. Main issue is pain in thight, painful to walk(the more I walk the more pain) and there is pain around the hip. No groin pain. Thanks. Lee
 
Hello Lee, I am 9 months out of my surgery and still have some nagging issues. I also started to lift heavy objects and feels like I went backwards. I am noticing my glutes are not working properly even when walking normal.

I think you might have a lot of muscles imbalances. Now getting to the root cause is tricky.

Good luck,

Larry
 
Leelee2004
I don’t know how helpful this is but maybe it’s a starting point


This list is all ortho’s in SC ranked by patient experience. I couldn’t figure out how to filter only for hip specialists but you can eyeball the list and eliminate the names that are obvious no go’s because of their areas of treatment.
maybe this can help jumpstart a search for a 3rd opinion. I will also ask my surgeon (who I trust completely) for any suggested names.

good luck
 
clamshell, mermaid and hip abduction side lying) and to foam roll and massage in these areas would be beneficial. Woke up this morning very sore and it appears worse than ever. Any ideas ? Thanks. Lee

You mention tight IT band and other muscles, which I too have had. Physio also gave me stretching and tensing exercises which I soon realized were the exact opposite of what is needed ( I am not a physio or medical person but I am a qualified yoga teacher with getting on for 40 years teaching experience) - when you stretch you have to stretch VERY gently otherwise you will trigger the 'stretch reflex action' which causes the muscle to tighten up to avoid further stretching. Inside the belly of all skeletal muscles is the muscle spindle which is a sensory receptor which "detects changes in length and tension. Basically when a muscle stretches, the muscle spindle sends a message to the spinal cord, which then signals the muscle to contract and resist the stretch". https://www.yogauonline.com/yoga-anatomy/deepen-your-yoga-practice-how-work-muscle-spindles. You might find this article interesting. In yoga what we try to do is stretch very gently and stop before resistance kicks in because what you really want to do is RELAX the muscle not make it more tense and tight by working it too hard. Also, use your breath. Focus on an area that is tight, breathe in deeply, and as you breathe out, see if you can let the muscle soften and relax. I think this might help and I am so glad you have reminded me as I think I have been ignoring my own knowledge and doing a lot of the tensing muscle exercises which are probably exacerbating my sore, already over-stretched muscles!! Strange how easily we give up what we instinctively know to be right when we become patients!!! I also agree about trauma being held in the muscle memory ( a real thing) and causing muscles to unconsciously tighten and resist. So get yourself a good relaxation CD or download something and just let it all go. You may even find tears there when you allow your body to stop fighting. Good luck
 
thanks and not using a walker or cane at present but only a matter of time for the cane. Going back to original surgeon tomorrow( I called his office and expressed my dissatisfaction and he scheduled me right away) and lets see what he has to say. I also have a consult with a diagnostic MD )part of sports med group for Cincinnati Bengals next week to try and figure out what is causing this pain and difficulty walking. Keeping fingers crossed for some answers. Lee
 
Good Morning Lee,
Best Wishes for your appointment today. I hope between this visit and your upcoming appointment with the diagnostic MD you find answers leading to relief. Please let us know how it goes today.
@leelee2004
 
Back from original surgeon and he is finally aware of the gravity of the situation. After a one hour meeting he has concluded that there is loosening on the stem(probably initiated from dog attack) and this is causing all the pain I am experiencing at present as it got worse over time. He also thinks this is why the THR leg is shorter as it ridden up the stem. He says the fix is to operate and replace stem and probably ball to put leg back to right length and set the femoral stem in place for permanent hold. Second opinion Dr also said leg was shorter but nothing about loosening and that cup needed to be replaced to lengthen leg. I am going to seek a third opinion next week(orthos with diagnostics MD on staff) then try and decide what to do but never thought it would come to this... Lee
 
Back from original surgeon and he is finally aware of the gravity of the situation. After a one hour meeting he has concluded that there is loosening on the stem(probably initiated from dog attack) and this is causing all the pain I am experiencing at present as it got worse over time. He also thinks this is why the THR leg is shorter as it ridden up the stem. He says the fix is to operate and replace stem and probably ball to put leg back to right length and set the femoral stem in place for permanent hold. Second opinion Dr also said leg was shorter but nothing about loosening and that cup needed to be replaced to lengthen leg. I am going to seek a third opinion next week(orthos with diagnostics MD on staff) then try and decide what to do but never thought it would come to this... Lee
I am so sorry you had to go through this. What a traumatic experience. I wish I could hug you right now. No one should ever have to experience this. Truly sorry for your loss.

As for the hip I'm glad you are going for third opinion. I am shocked that a surgeon could make such a quick decision on offering surgery without doing a proper assessment in a 5 min interview with someone whom they have never met(that second surgeon). I find it a little odd as well that this is what he thinks the issue is after so many appts you have had with him, that only NOW he thinks thats the issue. Why couldn't he realize that it was the issue before??

I would definitely go get that third opinion. I think it's wise to do that and see what they say. Don't give up. I know what it's like to be in a situation where you are in pain, unable to function and no one is there to help you. Until this week, I was in that situation for a quite a long time. It's a really hard mental rut to be in, but you've got this. You haven't gone this far to give up now. You have the strength within you to get there.

Please keep us posted what ends up happening next week.
 
Last edited:
The part that makes me the most angry is the surgeon Who performed the operationonly personally got involved With the issues post surgeryin the meeting today. This is the first time I have met with him since surgery. All other office visits which were four were conducted with the PA so surgeon only as of today, was fully informed of the situation. Again completely unacceptable in my opinion, but nothing to do about it now. We spent an hour today going over everything but this is something that should’ve been done along time ago. Well at least we know where he stands, I have suspected this for quite some time but once again I’m not a doctor. Will get to the bottom of it get it fixed get it right it’s very discouraging to say the least but I am Of strong character and realistically what other choice do I have but To get to the bottom of it and get it fixed and hopefully resume my life once again..lee
 
The part that makes me the most angry is the surgeon Who performed the operationonly personally got involved With the issues post surgeryin the meeting today. This is the first time I have met with him since surgery. All other office visits which were four were conducted with the PA so surgeon only as of today, was fully informed of the situation. Again completely unacceptable in my opinion, but nothing to do about it now. We spent an hour today going over everything but this is something that should’ve been done along time ago. Well at least we know where he stands, I have suspected this for quite some time but once again I’m not a doctor. Will get to the bottom of it get it fixed get it right it’s very discouraging to say the least but I am Of strong character and realistically what other choice do I have but To get to the bottom of it and get it fixed and hopefully resume my life once again..lee
That is unreal! how do they get away with you only seeing the PA?! That would never happen here. Here you might see a resident first(because they need the practice in taking history etc), but you will always see your surgeon for your appt. It's absolutely unacceptable to see someone other than your surgeon at a follow up appt. That doesn't even make sense.

To look at the positive of your situation, at least he's on the same page now that he knows what's going on and is willing to look into this and help get it corrected. I'm still glad you are still getting another opinion to give you more information to compare all the findings and information you have so far. I think it's the best way to do it.

It's true you are not a doctor, but you are a very informed and knowledgeable patient and you know your body very well-and THAT is where it's at. There is a big difference between good surgeon and a great one and it's on whether or not the great one will LISTEN to his patient. Mine did thank God and I am waiting for my first THR.

Please message me if you need a vent. I understand the frustration you're going through(though I realize we are in different situations). Keep us posted.
 
I’m sorry you’re looking at revision surgery and while maddening, frustrating and as unfair as it feels, your attitude in regard to facing this head on with resolution and a brighter future as your focus is admirable. I realize you may not have another choice, but thankfully you’re admittedly strong. I’m certain you will get beyond this with the result you’ve always hoped for. We’re here for you always.
@leelee2004
 
@leelee2004 ......Wow! I'm sorry for all this pain and stress that you're going through! Unbelievable that he finally acknowledged the stem is loose! Ugh,
I hope you'll be able to get excellent help soon!!!! You must be completely exhausted! :sad:


djklaugh and YogaLesley ...Wow! Thank you both so much for allllll of your info!
This is the second time tonight that I'm honestly blown away by this site! No
doctor, no PA, no NP, nor the two physical therapists I've seen in the past two years
ever mentioned the "muscle memory" issues to me !!!! Just....wow! :sad:
Maybe I can **finally** get some help with all my fears of falling!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry this has been such a bad situation for you. It sounds logical that the dog attack could have prompted loosening of the stem. But if you’re staring down at a likely revision, you’ve got a good attitude about and are facing it head on. Good for you.

You WILL find the answers and come out the other side of this. Hang in, hang on and plz keep us posted
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Please message me if you need a vent. I understand the frustration you're going through(though I realize we are in different situations). Keep us posted.

@PolarIce that is very sweet and supportive of you to offer but will interject here to explain our philosophy of encouraging our members to continue posting on their threads.
It is very helpful to others when this continues on the public forum. When someone starts private messaging each other, we end up missing important parts of their recoveries.
Just think of the many times you’ve read someone’s thread and found some motivating nugget of information! I still enjoy that experience frequently and it would be a shame if it was lost on a private message. Our personal messaging feature is intended for those times when a members want to communicate information that they prefer not be on the public forum or to have a friendly chat with another member.

@leelee2004 I don’t want to derail your thread but thought this was a good public service announcement opportunity. :yes:

Hopefully you will go for a third opinion and keep us updated?
You have many of us both concerned and interested in your outcome. So sorry it’s been so long in getting someone to listen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear about your long journey and the fact that you might have to have revision surgery... just curious have you looked into the success rate for this and what did the surgeon say because there’s no point going through it again without knowing you’ll have some relief ... you really are very positive... I’m 7months post surgery with a limp also..
 
Sorry for late reply but here are the results from the meeting with the ortho surgeon outside of my home town and state. They took x rays upon arrival and when surgeon came in room he had all xrays side by side from the day of surgery to that mornings xray. You can clearly see over time the femoral stem getting longer, some movement of stem and lucency and the leg rising up on the loose stem.(thus obviously the shorter leg). He said a revision surgery was necessary and the sooner the better which i am all i favor of because the pain and lack of mobility is pretty bad and why wait. He is an orthopedic oncologist and specializes reconstructing hips , bones, revisions etc. He comes highly recommended. Of course he does not promise a fix but he says I will be much better and possibly normal over time but recovery is very tough. I scheduled a surgery with him and now I have to figure out logistically how to make it work since I live in Charleston, SC and he is based in Cincinnati. Not a pretty picture but I dont trust original surgeon any longer due to the horrendous post operative care and misdiagnosis of my issues. Please say a prayer for me as I face an extremely tough road ahead. Lee
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom