Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain in the buttocks

That's really helpful - I did consider sciatica and read up a bit about it. My physio gave me some loosening stretches to release tension in the lower back, but didn't actually say the word, "sciatica".
So there doesn't have to be any pain down the leg for it to be the sciatic nerve?
Thank you!

PS - sorry for starting a new thread ... :thankyou: for merging them.
 
@Kathton I've merged the above post from the new thread into your original recovery thread. We ask that members maintain only one recovery thread:
  • It keeps all your recovery information in one place, making it easier for us to review your history before we provide advice.
  • If you have multiple threads, you will miss posts and advice left for you in your original thread, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

You may want to Bookmark this thread to make it easier to find. For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-can-i-find-my-threads-and-posts.56840/
 
Also, if you'd like us to change the title of your thread, please let us know.
 
Title changed, as you requested, @Kathton

In rereading your description of your buttock pain reminded me of something I struggled with after my first TKR -- a tight Piriformis.

Here's an article you might find helpful:
 
@benne68 Yes indeed! Piformis is the muscle responsible for a lot of sciatica symptoms! The stretches I referred to address it. Thank you for linking the article!

@Kathton Some of us with intermittent sciatica from the piriformis never ever have radiating pain. For which I am eternally grateful!!!! :SUNsmile:
 
Agree with @mendogal that it sounds like sciatica. I have had that and it is horrible.
The best longer term treatment is stretches and pilates for the back- but as mendogal says you are a bit early for that yet.
Have a chat with your GP. I found pregabalin to be of some help. I think others here have been prescribed gabapentin. It is quite sedative but that may be no bad thing if the sciatica is stopping you sleep. It may be a solution until you can stretch and exercise to relieve the pain.
 
I had a good bit of sciatica or whatever it was early on. I think it was related to my leg which had been bowed being straightened during surgery. I spent a lot of time sitting on a heating pad with ice on my knee. It’s not much of an issue any more.
 
Another thing that I found helpful were small spiky massage balls. You can get varying hardness balls and either just use them for self massage or place them at various points under your buttocks and roll gently on them. My pilates teacher showed me how to use them the first time but it was fairly intuitive.
 
Hello @Kathton. I had the same issue with my initial surgery and now with my revision. Diagnosis was a pinched nerve. I was told by one PT that it could not be that. It was getting worse so I went to a physiatrist. Turns out I had 2 pinched nerves in my spine. I did get steroid injections and was prescribed Gabapentin. It did get better until my recent revision. It is starting up again. The physiatrist sent me to PT to stretch the area. My new PT was great and gave me exercises to do. I just started doing the ones I can at home and hope it helps. Before the dx I googled sciatica and found some stretching exercises to do. You might not be able to do them all but there may be some you can. I hope it gets better for you and not worse. Mine started as the dull pain too. As @mendogal said I think it is our bodies readjusting. ❤️
 
Last edited:
Thank you, everyone - you've been really helpful. I've been sitting on a hot water bottle, and rolling around on a spiky ball :heehee: and I'm pleased to report that things are slowly but definitely improving. I can now sit down without wanting to stand up again straight away.

Jday, I'm so sorry that you've been having such a bad time. The surgery itself is bad enough, but to have another physical pain to have to deal with can be really taxing ... I hope things improve for you now that you have an exercise programme to work on.
 
Awesome news that you're finding relief! You need to be able to sit comfortably. Thankfully its improving.
I hope you have a wonderful week! :wave:
@Kathton
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom