Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Pain behind knee when working on ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back. I think it actually took longer to find a good vein for the IV then the actual manipulation took. My OS was able to bend my knees back to 120. So far the are bending better. I did the true test and walk up and down my stairs. It was much easier. Knees are pretty swollen and sore again though so I'm icing and elevaing them right now. I have PT at 1:30. Hope they're a little easy on my today since I am so sore.
 
Glad you came through it, and it already seems to be working. Now keep icing and elevating whenever you don't have to be on your feet or doing your ROM exercises!
 
Back from PT and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My ROM cold was about 80 on both knees. Then after my PT worked then a bit with stretches he got me to 90 on both knees. :yes!: By the end of PT I was doing wall slides with 10 pound weights over my ankles and I did it - I got to 100 on both knees! :yay::happydance::egypdance:Now let's hope I can keep it going. My PT wants me to keep my knees moving and sit with them bent as much as possible when not icing and elevating. He also warned me that when the heavy duty pain meds from the procedure wears off I'm going to be a lot sorer. he always has to rain on my parade!

I have to admit, although I was initially against having an MUA, I'm glad I did it (so far). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
 
I agree. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (happily out cold).:zzz: I am happy I went ahead & did it, as moving, walking, stairs, & bending are easier. I may not be (still) where OS wants me, but, I think more will come as I continue to rehab it here at home.
 
I agree that MUA have their place. What I didn't like was that my first therapist was telling me I will probably need one when I was only at 4 weeks. It makes you scared and worried. I knew I was way too swollen yet to be getting good ROM. That is when I decided to switch therapists and the one I got worked on getting that extra fluid off my knee with massage. She could feel and I could see the lumpy scar from my surgery and she worked on that until it was nice and smooth. She has gotten me from the mid 90's (with pt help) to 110 on my own. All I can say is therapists can make a big difference.
 
Lori - Good to hear your MUA went well also.

I think it's good for people to know that an MUA isn't always a bad thing. My OS kept telling me that I would almost be starting over again but that is not the case. we've already gone through the hardest part of healing. Compared to the surgery, an MUA is a breeze. And this is coming from someone who was just as afraid of the MUA as the actual surgery. The soreness in my knees is minimal. Now it's just muscle soreness that feels like when you work out hard and over do it. I still can't believe how much more I can bend my knees. Everything just seems so much easier to do now and all the tightness in my knees is gone. My knees actually feel like they are my knees again. Not like I have metal knees. It's so much easier to push myself harder now too. I can't get over how much better I feel. I finally feel like all this was worth it.:yes!:
 
In no way are MUAs a bad thing in the right time and circumstances. What bugs me is PTs and surgeons using them as a whipping stick to make people work harder when what they really need to do is work less! And in the early stages, as Debbie said. That's nothing less than emotional, physiological blackmail.
 
That is exactly what it is Josephine, it is blackmail when they do that to you. I was so afraid. My surgeon never said a word about MUA to me, he even told me that I was doing ok. Maybe a little behind according to the book, but everyone is different. But that therapist was bad.
 
Oh Josephine I so agree with you. My OS was mentioning it at my 6 week check up. Was briefly freaked out by it, but now I know I am not going to do it. He was saying 12 weeks was the ultimate time. Well thru PT I went in ONE WEEK from 85 to 99. I am behind some, but I don't feel I am that far behind, and that I can't get the ROM. I am getting closer every PT session, so I will keep on fighting.

I tell anyone I meet about Bonesmart.org. This place has been a godsend and let me know I was okay when I become frightened. Some do need the MUA, but I know its not for me now. Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom