TKR Pain and frustration at 2+ years

TNR #2

Country
United States United States
Hi all, I had my second knee replacement 8 weeks ago. I am terribly uncomfortable, my entire leg and hip hurts. I can’t sleep and the pain meds has caused ringing in the ears and it never really helped the pain. I had my first replacement in 2014 and by week 8 I was up and rolling, this one has been totally miserable. Taking ibuprofen for the inflammation which really helps, any suggestions here of getting done relief?

@TNR #2 I feel for you. I'm 9 weeks out and I'm hurt too, when I walk or rollover in bed, but I am not taking pain meds anymore. Hate the way they make me feel. This whole thing is a far cry from what I thought it would be like. Congratulations on getting over your first one so quickly. I've talked to several of my friends who have said that the second leg was harder for them too. At least you're past the initial 4 weeks, they were terrible for me.
Have you been doing any PT? Everyone on here has advised me that we can overdo that, and it helps to back off and rest, elevate and ice.
The mental state is tough too. It's hard not to get discouraged! I think being patient is tough, very tough.

For me, ICE and ELEVATION helped with pain. Maybe a call tomorrow to your surgeon regarding your pain medication. The moderators will be along shortly, with lots of information. This is a supportive and caring site- you are not alone. Good luck.

Hi all, I had my second knee replacement 8 weeks ago. I am terribly uncomfortable, my entire leg and hip hurts. I can’t sleep and the pain meds has caused ringing in the ears and it never really helped the pain. I had my first replacement in 2014 and by week 8 I was up and rolling, this one has been totally miserable. Taking ibuprofen for the inflammation which really helps, any suggestions here of getting done relief?
You need to follow help from Bonesmart, I understand the sleep issues. I'm 13 weeks out and have only 5 full nights of sleep in my bed. Snooze on the couch watching TV. I have leg & Hip pain but find my Bike gives me relief along with a Heating Pad. Sorry you are suffering.

Thanks for your response and encouragement. Yes I do PT , ice and elevate, I also back off PT when the knee is angry this one is much harder. Do you get the quick sharp pinpricks in and around your knee. Those are lots of fun. You are good if you’re managing without pain meds! Hope your recovery becomes better!

@TNR #2
:welome: to BoneSmart glad you joined us!
Taking ibuprofen for the inflammation which really helps, any suggestions here of getting done relief?
Ask your surgeon if it is OK to take Tylenol, often the two together do a good job controlling pain.

As you have found out no two TKR's are the same even on the same person.

Please post your surgery dates, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact dates will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Do you get the quick sharp pinpricks in and around your knee.
The pinpricks may be from your nerves growing back.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi!! Looks like we had our surgeries around the same time. Mine was July 22.
If you read my thread you'll see I have had complications including an ER visit and allergic reaction to Dermabond used in my incision. I completely understand your pain as I still have it, especially at night (right now in fact).
You'll find the moderators will give you great advice on here as well as many of us going through the same thing as you.
I really hope you find some strategies to get through this challenging time. Keep coming back here; you'll find a lot of support!
God bless and hang in there.

Hi all, how’s it going for you all now. I’m at 10 weeks my surgery was July 20. I have been getting better, but I am having pain down the outer knee, calf, tibia, and back of knee pulls really bad, wondering why and what can be done, had gotten off pain meds, had to start them back.

When you say you got off the meds and got back on, what do you mean? What meds are you back on? I'm still on Tylenol and Motrin alternating every 3 hours, plus CBD without THC (legal in my state and advised by my practitioner) and oral Arnica (just started). I use topical CBD and Arnica as well as ice frequently.
I still have pain if I don't stick to this schedule, and even when I do .. plus insomnia as I'm awake now and have work in a few hours.
I'm praying time will change this as I've read many success stories here with similar journeys.

This is a long journey….. every time I doubt my knee and the recovery, I hop on here and feel better afterwards. I’m sorry you are in pain still. It’s not easy to deal with persistent pain, your emotional state and worries about the knee’s behaviour all at the same time.
I feel for you as I have similar issues. I am just on four months now and some days I regret doing the op as my knee is sore and muscles get very tight.
Also the guilt, albeit perceived, of not getting better as fast as some folk think one should. I’m tired of explaining that I am still in recovery and will be for a while yet.

You may have increased your activity and/or exercises more than your healing knee was ready for, and it is rebelling. If that’s the case, back off them a bit and try again at a later date.

Please give us your surgery dates so we can make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

Surgery date was 7/20/21, I was feeling better and was not taking the pain meds, now I’m back taking pain and muscle relaxers. Is it possible to get a baker’s cyst in the replaced knee it appears I may have one as swelling in that area

Yes it’s possible to have a baker’s cyst after a knee replacement.

Is it possible to get a baker’s cyst in the replaced knee
Yes, I know from experience, it was very painful when it ruptured. It took about 2 months for the swelling to go down. Let your Dr know if it becomes painful when you press on that area.
They did an ultrasound to be sure it was not a blood clot.

Which knee did you have replaced in July?
When was your first TKR?
Thanks,
Chris

Thanks for the information, my pt told me she thought that maybe part of the discomfort in the back of my knee

1st replacement was 12/2014 left knee, had the right knee done in July, reached out to my surgeon already. Thanks this really is a good support

Surgery date was 7/20/21, I was feeling better and was not taking the pain meds, now I’m back taking pain and muscle relaxers. Is it possible to get a baker’s cyst in the replaced knee it appears I may have one as swelling in that area

My surgery date was 7/2/21 and I have similar sounding pain on the outside of my knee as well. I have read it may be bone strain due to different loading on the Tibia. What I read says it can take a year to go away. I am hoping I am right. My pain is definitely activity related. If I don't do much it fades. If I do a lot it comes back pretty strong. If you are like me I have zero pain until I put my weight on my knee. Also, going down stairs and squats hurt in the same place.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom