Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain 9 years after THR

Thanks donor! I just read Josephine's description. The tiny butt cheek muscle is exactly the spot
that keeps spasming since my near fall. It's angry all the time and has pain in the exact pattern down the leg described by trav86. I do not have the bursitis like symptoms, but is so nice to finally read an explanation for my pain that's lasted over half my recovery.
Go easy trav86


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Josephine, Suzette, donor et al
Update - saw my surgeon yesterday. He thought the redness could be caused by some activity of the sutures beneath the skin. He said he used a kind of suture (can't remember the name - it begins with V) and that as it heals, it can sometimes irritate the skin. He also said it might be/have been a skin infection that was being addressed by the antibiotics (as he pointed out, it's much less red now than it was last Thursday). The x-ray looked fine, he said. I'm to finish the antibiotics (three more miserable days) and to see him again in two weeks. Feeling relieved! Thanks for all good wishes and advice.
 
He said he used a kind of suture (can't remember the name - it begins with V) and that as it heals, it can sometimes irritate the skin.
Vicryl. It's a biodegradable material made of fruit sugars! And yes, it can irritate the skin if it's close enough to it.
 
@Josephine
I had been doing wonderfully well - as evidenced by the fact that I haven't been to the forum in months. As of last week, I've been feeling worse and worse. My mobility is still fine - no cane, no limp - but my hip hurts. It's a burning, deep internal pain. I went to see my surgeon today. He did X-rays, which he said looked good. They drew blood to check for infection. I won't have the results for a couple of days. I'm wondering if this is something that happens - months of feeling fine followed by pain, which is not unbearable, but which seems to be getting worse, not better. Thanks for your input!
 
Oh hi, trav! Nice to see you. Shame about the pain though. Do you mind if I ask you some questions first?

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 9 years after THR


[Bonesmart.org] Pain 9 years after THR



Also these questions. It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Pain 9 years after THR
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. are you using any pain medications, if so what, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

4. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?


Can you describe like these examples

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
I wasn’t planning to be back here, but was relieved to see forum still going strong! THR with Scott Marwin at NYU in 2015. I’ve had 9 very good years. I’m not a real athlete but I walk quite a lot and do yoga. Hiked a bit of the Grand Canyon in 2016. Normal weight (125), 69 years old. I used to regularly go to a gym (mostly elliptical and stationery bike) but quit during shutdown and didn’t return. About 3 months ago I started having twinges in hip. As of yesterday, I’m in unignorable pain. I made an appt with Marwin for April 19 (first available). I also started scouring these boards yesterday looking for HSS surgeons and settled on Della Valle as a starting place, but when I called HSS I was told that’s not how they do things. I have to see a pain dr first, get X-rays and then if warranted will be referred to a surgeon. I was able to get a pain appointment for tomorrow. I tend to be alarmist/pessimist (my mother needed 2 revisions to her THR, neither of which really worked), so naturally figure that revision surgery will be the next step. I’d appreciate hearing any thoughts, ideas, other experiences, etc.
 
Welcome back, @trav86. I'm so sorry to read that you are in pain, but glad you were able to get an appointment with HSS. They really are the best.

Their protocol of seeing a generalist first is really designed to benefit you as a patient. You'll be seeing someone who isn't pre-disposed to recommend surgery, and who will discuss other options with you. I hope you will come back after the appointment and let us know what you learned.

Please notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. We ask because that members maintain just one recovery thread so your information is easy to find and serves as a diary of your recovery. Having all your information is all in one place also enables our staff to advise you better. And you won't miss or lose relevant posts and advice.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find.

For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Hi, @trav86….so sorry that pain has brought you back to BoneSmart. But we’re glad you’re here for support.

Deb is right about the “why” behind what HSS is asking you to do. It would pay to get an evaluation for the cause of your pain before you see one of their specialty surgeons. If it comes to surgery, Dr. Della Valle is an excellent choice. Here’s hoping it’s something that can be successfully treated without surgery.
 
Thanks, benne68 and Jamie. HSS canceled my pain dr appointment because it was with the wrong pain dr—even tho he was the pain dr the HSS consultant recommended (!). Working on finding the right pain dr….
 
Eek! Better luck on your second try!
 
Such a runaround with this new era of medicine. I can't stand it sometimes. Jump through hoops just to get primary appt let alone see a specialisit.
I wish you good luck & please update when you have an appt & see doctor.
Stay well.
 
I'm sorry to hear that, @trav86. They are usually so good about matching you up with the doctors. Hope you can get rescheduled soon.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom