Guest viewing is limited

Packing for Hospital and Rehab Question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi B's Knees, dried fruit sounds delish ! I'm going to bring my Kindle also !
Thank you,Linda:)
 
I wore the gown on day 1 then pjs I did try a nightie but preferred pjs as I could drag my leg around by the trousers when I needed to. Chapstick and magazines as you will be so sleepy with meds a book will be too much to concentrate on but magazines can be flicked through without too much effort, my other things I loved having was a cardi as I did go hot and cold and when I first got out of surgery was freezing.

We have to wear slippers in the uk and not allowed out of the bed without them not sure if thats just here though


Op date 8th Oct 2013
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Stretchy shorts and T shirts for during the day and I brought T shirts for night- actually my husband's which are like mini dresses on me since I do not like clothes getting caught on sheets or anything long. Used the gripper socks they provided and even went home in them since it was easier than putting on sandals or shoes. Of course toiletries and mini shampoos that you get when traveling. I washed my hair in the sink the day after surgery since I just cannot tolerate not washing my hair. Of course underwear and I am not small but I actually bought a size larger so it was easier to get on and a very easy soft bra for coverage but not great support but just something. I had all my toiletries in one of those travel toiletries packs so I could ask the aide to just put it in the bathroom for me or I could hold unto with the walker- made it much easier that all individual pieces. Think easy to slide on clothes. I found the shorts easier to get on with the knee all wrapped plus this way I could see it as well as the nursing staff.

I did not go to rehab so cannot address that question at all.
 
I took it all and never used much of it. In hospital I wore their gowns. In rehab I wore their gowns the first week and frankly I didn't care what I looked like. The second week I started wearing my own baggy pants and roomy tshirts with their socks. I cleaned myself daily with baby wipes. I went into their shower room and said NO WAY because it looked more like a car wash. :yikes: So I had no shower until I came home. Take your toothbrush, paste, and a hairbrush for sure. And something to wear home. Thats all you'll need really. Oh and your cell ph.
 
Alimck, hello to Scotland ! I'll take your advice and bring magazines along with my Kindle. I also like your idea to wear pants to be able to drag the leg around...LOL.. Sounds so funny ! I will bring a bed jacket in case it gets cold.:loll:
Thanks, Linda
 
Hi Leejaa, I will get some Terry shorts and t-shirts. I'm glad you brought up the subject of hair washing. I wondered how long it would be before I could wash my hair, so thanks. I will get a toiletry bag and bring travel size things. Also great idea about the larger size undies.
Thanks a bunch !
Linda:)
 
I too was in their fashion forward gowns the whole time the socks too . I did bring a coat sweater in case I got chilly. Chapstick is a must and I brought some of those purse size packets of baby wipes, they came in very handy after eating or if I just felt the need for a face wipe.. I didn't use them at all for the bottom half lol. I agree on the glasses chain I did not have one and it would of helped . My husband brought me a little room freshener it was nice to have that in the room it was nothing big or over powering . I loaded up my kindle with some good books and some card games , I am not a big tv watcher. I did get a front hooking bra and that was easier taking on and off, as far as shoes I only wore them when I went in and when I left the rest of the time I was in the socks with the rubber on them. I am not sure about rehab as I came home .. good luck to you ..you will do great ooooo and bring some hard candy or mints .. and a special treat mine was m&m candy I had a small pack each night I was there as a treat and I shared them with my nurses and aides. I also bought little thank you trinkets to hand out to my nurses and aides and pt girls, nothing big and expensive just a little thank you...
 
:) Hi, Scaredin CA ! Thank you for your suggestions ! Sounds like I should buy one size larger than I am. I know now after reading these posts that I shouldn't bring as much as I thought. Chapstick, cell phone are a must.
Linda
 
Thanks for the air freshener idea ! I will be in a private Rm. so no one should complain. The hard candy and M&M's sounds delish. You know, I never thought of small gifts for the nurses and P.T. people ? Thank You !
Linda:)
 
in the hospital the 3 days.. their gowns and socks.. morphine pump and whatever pills they would give me. i didn't really care.. slept most of the time. 3rd day they did give me a suppository which didn't work, then they had me drink this stuff that seemed like salty soda water.. that did the trick.. once the BM appeared.. i got the boot to rehab. there i just wore t-shirts and shorts.. their socks with the sticky bottoms.. never any shoes the 10 days i was there.. no point.. the wing i was in had very touchy A/C. sometimes i was sweating..others..i had t-shirt-- long sleeve t-shirt-- light weight sweatshirt-- DELTA Airlines blanket-- plus their 'blankets'.. i was freezing some nights.. they'd wake me up at 5am every couple days to take blood.. 6 am for 13 pills (none of which were for pain).. 7am to let me know breakfast was at 8am.. they'd show up between 8 and 8:30.. rehab 2x per day.. PT showed me how to set my cell phone as a timer.. I'd set it for 4hrs so i could call for the pain meds..they wouldn't give them unless asked for.. worked great except i'd forget to set it and have to call to find out when my next meds were due. i slept 90% of the time i was there. they had a 'salon' where i had my hair washed once.. thought i could do it someway.. not.. i brought laptop/kindle/phone.. used laptop once/twice a day.. think i tried to read once.. checked email on phone.. sleep... rotate cpm (usually did myself so i could increase ROM myself).. called for meds and ice.. about all the excitement for moi..
 
I got up about an hour after surgery, went to the bathroom and changed into yoga pants and a loose tee shirt. I wore that the two days I was in the hospital---no rehab for me.

I wore crocs as shoes since they are non slip. I also wanted thing I could put into the washing machine with really hot water when i got home to kill any germs---I washed all of my clothing and the crocs. Had to run down the stairs as soon as I got home to the washer---put everything into the machine and walked up the stairs to get new yoga pants. I had lots of friends stop by, did not want to be in a hospital gown which are really awful.
 
Wow, Tori645, thank you for the hour by hour after surgery advice ! This was very helpful, and you sound like you are in great shape ! Did you exercise before surgery because you certainly sound very fit. I can only hope I'm up and around like you when it's my turn !
Linda:thankyou:
 
Hi Skigirl, I am so amazed that you were going up and down stairs when you got home ! Between you and Tori, I am overwhelmed ! I have loose workout capris I'm going to bring and try to imagine I'm in my Metabolic Training class and Jazzercise ! I have Crocks, so I'm going to bring them, so I can throw them into the washing machine. I was hoping to go right home but my Dr. is very firm about the 2 wk. stay at Rehab. Maybe if I can get around as well as you, they'll let me go home.:angel: I'm going to bring an alarm clock with me so I too can get up every 4 hrs. for pain meds. Thank You !:)
 
You will probably be amazed at how well you can move in a short time. I would find two weeks in rehab to be incredibly boring!!! I like my house where I am near my "stuff".
 
I am so talking to my Dr. about the chance of going home before 2wks.:spin: I love my house, and my husband is retired and will help me. My 5 toy dogs will certainly help me to recover !:puppysmooze:
 
Yes, I think talking to your doctor is a good idea. I think the doctors and the hospital err on the side of caution which is understandable, but if you have the support of your husband full time there is nothing like rehabbing at home. I had my husband at home the fist week out if the hospital, then was on my own the following week. He would help me come downstairs early morning before he left for work and I just stayed on the first first floor until he got home in the afternoon. With the visiting nurse and PT coming and going, someone seemed to check on me every day so that was nice. I did keep a bin of toiletries and clothes on the first floor, but was so much more mobile than I thought I would be! By the way, I kept a few pillows in the family room to elevate the leg, and my PT used them for various exercises she had me doing.

We have a little Jack Russell Terrier who is very energetic ad gets a little over excited :puppysmooze: I was worried she would jump on my knee so she went to stay with family for a couple of weeks. I missed her terribly! Turned out it was unnecessary because when she came home it became apparent she was afraid of the crutches. As long as I had those crutches she steered clear! So this time around she can stay home with me too :)
 
:iagree: I am so thankful to all you people for sharing your personal victories ! I feel so much better about my surgery now that I heard these stories. I intend to work through the pain so I can get back to my active lifestyle. I was so afraid about TKR before I joined this group. :thankyou:
 
Newlinda do not work through the pain- make sure you are using pain meds. There is no reason to be in pain, it will slow down your progress.

I came home both times from the hospital. First time my husband was with me 4 days and the second time 2 days before he went back to work and I was on my own. There is no place like home and you have someone there to help. If he does not cook - buy frozen meals or order out or make some meals ahead and freeze them for him to reheat in microwave for te first few weeks.

Most doctors want you home so that you do not pick up any infections in a multi patient setting. Interesting that your doctor wants you to go to rehab for 2 wks when it is only one knee you are having. Usually people who have bilateral knee replacements go to rehab since they need more assistance at first.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make.
 
I agree home if you can is the best place..it was for me, well to be honest I went to my 88 year old mom's house so my hubby could go to Switzerland for a week . My mom spoiled me rotten ,she made me my favorite soup and made sure I took my meds, ate and did my bag on the foot slide excersize. I stayed with her two weeks after I came out of the hospital , it was good for her and me she likes helping her kids when she can. Another thing to bring is a hand held mirror I had a makeup compact and used that mirror a lot
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom