TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

It sounds like you have weak glutes. This was me last winter - a lot of hip pain leading to knee pain. A good round of PT working on glute strength helped immensely. We started doing some of the same exercises again just today.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ironclm , that is for sure part of it. And I am glad I put myself back in PT to work on it. I also have some atrophy in the muscle that runs down the outside part of my TKR upper leg, and of course some IT band tenderness. The weird thing is I was able to be active prior to surgery and can still swim, bike, and walk now. Hey, I bet, now that I write this, these issues of mine are why my swim kick is so pathetic. I am looking forward to getting stronger. Keep up the good work!
 
@wings Here is the photo I promised. We were a bit early in the migration cycle but my friend Jeff was able to get a good photograph of this family of migrating Tundra Swans in Alma, Wisconsin.
[Bonesmart.org] Over doing or not doing enough?
 
@clm what exercises are you doing?

It sounds like you have weak glutes. This was me last winter - a lot of hip pain leading to knee pain. A good round of PT working on glute strength helped immensely. We started doing some of the same exercises again just today.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I just recently starting going downstairs, 1 per step, without a weird hip twist to protect my surgical knee. There is still a bit of tightness in the bend but not like when I first started and I still have a ways to go. My surgery was a few weeks ahead of yours, which means going down stairs may be only a few weeks away for you - Christmas is feasible. I know just a bit more patience is a lot to ask, I am still there, but have a bit more patience with your knee and yourself. We're not there yet {she says as she re-reads the message and applies to herself}.
 
My surgery was a few weeks ahead of yours, which means going down stairs may be only a few weeks away for you - Christmas is feasible. I know just a bit more patience is a lot to ask, I am still there, but have a bit more patience with your knee and yourself. We're not there yet {she says as she re-reads the message and applies to herself}.
Hey, Hawk2go, I really do find that writing about my recovery helps me to get a better handle on where I really am in recovery, which is not as far along as I want to believe.
 
@referee54
@Kansas Teacher

Hi Referee and Kansas Teacher, I am wondering if you know what caused your IT band issues. I think had I stayed in PT rather than leaving at 8 weeks, I might have gained more strength? Or maybe I have been doing too much? Or, Tim, is it just because of the change in alignment and the muscle atrophy that built up prior to surgery like you said in the Cycling Club thread? I'm leaving on vacation Sunday and want to enjoy myself. My PT gave me 20 clamshells every other day and 25 bridges every day to do while away if tolerated. Does this sound reasonable to you two? I have backed off stairs, but I do plan to bike, swim, and walk as much as I can, plus do the IT band stretches and ice if needed. Just want some reassurance that my plan sounds like a good one. I don't want to irritate my IT band any more than it is, but I do need to build up strength in my lateral leg muscle (not sure which one that is), my core, and my glutes.
 
One of the things lots of us find who have had knee issues for years is that we've compensated for the knee(s) for so long our bodies are out of whack. It can take a long time to get the (correct) muscles working properly. I think your PT should have some useful exercises for you.
 
Or, Tim, is it just because of the change in alignment and the muscle atrophy

One of the things lots of us find who have had knee issues for years is that we've compensated for the knee(s) for so long our bodies are out of whack.
Yep---like I stated before, in many cases, slowly---very slowly over years---we have adopted a new and dysfunctional gait and it became "normal." Now that the new knee is in place, our legs---all of the muscles, tendons and such---are being asked to do something that should be normal, but is not.

I had IT Band issues in both legs, and stretched and iced and stretched and iced. Others also have found help with a foam roller. I did the ice massage, which uses a Dixie Cup filled with water and is frozen. You then apply the ice directly to the affected area, and, as it melts, you peel the paper away.
[Bonesmart.org] Over doing or not doing enough?


Have you purchased new shoes yet? Due to the gait issues that were "normal" before and are actually abnormal now, the wear pattern on your shoes may be also negatively impacting you, too. By purchasing new shoes, you are not following the old wear pattern, but are establishing the new and correct one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I swept the front porch of Florida and have put out the welcome mat for you. Hope you have a wonderful vacation here. I know I am a slacker, but if I were you I would take this time as a vacation from PT too. My IT band was my arch nemesis until I quit doing any exercises. I did still stretch, though. Hope you find an answer. And enjoy the Sunshine State!
 
@Slainte I cannot wait to get to the beach. And like you with knee 2 I went back to work very early with my TKR so this is truly a well deserved vacation. I am going out for stone crab Sunday night. I know you are not much of a northern gal but I curled my third game tonight and my knee felt much better than it did a few weeks ago. I felt much more comfortable on the ice. Even though I am still having problems I am getting stronger!!! Yay!!!!
 
There are many excellent little reasons to have the TKR---this gives you a great reason to go out and buy new shoes!!! Reward yourself!!!
When I told my husband what you said, he just smiled and gave me a big kiss. And I already bought myself three massages, a pedicure, a new pair of cross-country skis, and I have my eye on that Garmin Edge. :-)
 
I started with clamshells, both from the knee and the ankle. Once you can do a number of those add a band around her lower leg.

Side Lying abduction (straight leg, toes turned down so you're not turning your whole upper leg out).

Once you can do all of those, then the band around the lower legs and you do standing abduction, or walk sideways with the band. And then do monster walk.

Last is bridges. And you eventually want to work to one leg bridges.

And of course stretching the IT band and using the foam roller.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Helen, thanks for the vacation wishes. I am sure I will check in from time to time. Have a good couple of weeks.

Ironclm, ironically, I was doing those exercises before my OS at 8-weeks post-op said quit pt and go live your life. Have some fun. I guess he thought I was stronger than I am. Then I continued to do a humongous number of steps every day thinking it would help me get stronger even though each step hurt. Now I need to start all 0ver. Thanks for the details. Good luck next week at work.
 
I agree with referee that the IT band issues are caused by the change in gait post-surgery from abnormal to normal and it just takes awhile for everything to settle down. For me, walking seemed to be the best. Even bike riding aggravated my IT band for awhile although I seem to be past that now. Clamshells did bother me but you will have to just try and see if it irritates you. Now, I can do about anything without a problem but I did have to pay close attention to my body for awhile, along with icing and stretching, until things settled down. You will get there but the fastest way is to not push yourself beyond what you are ready to do and you can only do that by paying close attention to how your body reacts. Enjoy your vacation!

Roxie
 
@Wanttobebiking - just caught up on your thread.. You're doing great for where you are.. I'm feeling the same frustration.. especially with the down stairs.. But .. honestly.. knowing I'm in the same camp as you on that. (CAN'T do it.. :shrug: ).. at least I know I should keep looking for that PATIENCE ATM machine!!!!

Miss my friends at BS!!!.... :wave: Work and "other" life is keeping me WAY too busy.. I miss the days where I was in bed with my knee elevating and icing when I had plenty of time to keep up and in touch.. - Well, not really, but - sort of..... life is full of tradeoffs, isn't it?? Still miss my friends though.. :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom