THR Out with the old; in with the new! Hopefulm's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words, @Legin , @Carriemay60 , & @Jaycey. Felling much better today, tolerating fluids and light diet, resting with ice & elevation. I do have a high toilet, and bought a free-standing frame with handles for it which has been a lifesaver during this time! Napping is the task of the day. .
 
Deffo sleep is good glad to hear things are a tad better

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Glad you have gotten the nausea under control.
I was so glad I got the raised toilet seat with frame/handles, like you.
I never thought I would have to get up so many times, but they fill you up with fluids in the
hospital, and things have to neutralize and work their way out of your system. Whew...

Just take things slowly, and don't compare yourself to others. Its your recovery that counts. :SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Thank you, @MajorHeidi . . I know that everyone has a different journey through recovery. I did all I could to prepare, and am learning each day how much energy is required for healing. This forum has helped immeasurably!
 
Recovery from a THR does use heaps of energy, but each day you will see small improvements, these are your personal milestones to celebrate x
 
Hi @hopefulm I've got to say I'm learning every day how much energy recovery from THR takes too... I thought I had it completely nailed, I've had a few "full" days in a row, felt great.... currently I'm on the recliner feeling wiped out - and the most ambitious thing I've done all day is gone and had a pedicure:rotfl: I was to go out again this afternoon, then to a street festival this evening with our son; hubby has gone out, I'm on said recliner, street festival to be decided post-recliner:heehee:
So, lesson learned is.... energy drain gets better, energy drain does NOT disappear overnight!
:sleeep:
 
You are doing well, some i think expect sooooo much. If you totaled up all the pain and frustration this has caused pre operation this ie what we go through in recovering isnt any where as bad but the big diff. Future without opp is very dark, with opp is sooooooo bright. Well done you.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
And the good news - hubby brought my sweet doggie home from the boarding yesterday. . .we knew it would be easier without him initially, but he is such a "mommy's boy", he is so happy to cuddle next to me and give kisses if I made any sound of pain. I awakened this AM feeling so fortunate to be surrounded by the love of my "boys"!

Words for the day :
[Bonesmart.org] Out with the old; in with the new! Hopefulm's Recovery
 
Hope you are feeling better. Early days can be rough on the system and it seems different for everyone. Hopefully you'll be back to normal soon. Sounds like the pain cocktail is working better for you as well. Rest, ice, elevate, and little trips to and from in the house -- that's it for you!!
 
Oh how right you are @hopefulm Our Rocky Dog stayed with his "Nanna and Grandad" for my first few days home, I was glad to not have him there while I worked out how to get about etc, but once he came home it was magic... to feel such complete unconditional love is so comforting - and they listen to you even when what you're saying is utter nonsense - when you say "oh my butt's sore from just sitting here" they look at you as if to say, "oh no, how terrible for you, I feel you pain and wish I could take it all on for you" whereas your human loves might say, it's just your butt, move it a bit":rotfl:
 
Sounds like things are improving with your own set of ups and downs that each of us seem to learn as we go. Let your body tell you when too much is too much is a good axiom, hard to figure out though until you've already hit the too much. The good news is that there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is all good from my experience. Your positive attitude will pull you through the tough parts as it has and the results will be the reward for the hard parts.

Have a better day tomorrow and the next!
 
@hopefulm I am so happy for you to have experienced the doggie welcoming back home!!!!
I did the same thing, and was so relieved to get my two fur babies back home; they are large and one can be a brute! But, we all love each other bunches!
 
And the best thing about post-op day #4 . . .I got to shower & wash my hair!!!

Today I feel like I can truly distinguish the change from before surgery. I really don't feel the joint at all, and what I am feeling is very much incision and muscle pain. . .wow!

I think my gait is improved, also, even using the walker. And I'd feel pretty good overall, if I could just get my gastrointestinal issues resolved. . .first diarrhea, now constipation. Doing all the recommended stuff, so it will be OK soon. I think I really can't tolerate Tramadol at all, and do better on hydrocodone than oxycodone. I'm staying ahead of the pain, but am able to wean down both dose and frequency today .. .nice to feel progress.
 
Wahaaaay that first shower is sooooo good isnt it. I started singing with joy nurse ran in thought I was in pain hmmmm. You are doing well and seem to be comumicating with medical people well go girl go, errrrrrrr as in support not go dang wheres my hidy hole

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Just come to scotland raining so much shower overload. Where are those water wings

Legin THR Sep 14
 
One week ago I was lying here with an aching, burning hip, anxious about the following morning's surgery. Today I can truly say that the deep joint pain is gone! I'm down to hydrocodone 5mg/APAP 325mg about every 6 hours and slept better last night than I have in years!
Tomorrow I will try longer walks around the house. It's been very cold here with some patches of ice on the sidewalk, so I haven't considered walking outdoors. By Wednesday it will warm up and rain, rain, rain - not too appealing either.
Still haven't conquered the constipation issue, but have high hopes for tomorrow! Bran Muffins, prunes, lots of water, stool softeners, fiber supplements, and tonight the old standby, Milk of Magnesia. Bubbly belly.
I'm feeling very steady on my walker, and really think my gait is even with straight toes. Very cool!
The best thing I purchased for recovery is a pillow recommended by someone on BoneSmart - can't recall who. It's called the Lounge Doctor, and keeps the legs perfectly elevated and aligned for sleep and rest. I rest my legs on it most of the time when lying down. It keeps my back in a very comfortable position. . I was really worried about back pain from lying about, but haven't had any issues. I was never a back sleeper, and really think this pillow made adjusting possible. And I actually was able to sleep about an hour last night on my non-op side!
Tomorrow I get to remove the dressing. Will be good to see how the incision looks.
All in all, a terrific week!
 
Fantastico good to see you are feeling good. Yup things in improvement often just come to us like the lack of joint pain. Thats the way wee goals. Im still working on mine, surgeon asked me what I hoped I would get from opp. Told him be able to scratch behind my ear with my big toe, just got a strange look back. The errrrrrrrrr no2 thing will resolve itself but until then


BOOOOO @hopefulm

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom