Guest viewing is limited

TKR Out of surgery! Recovery begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked about anesthesia . I had a general and do not remember a thing. I did not wake up in pain. my incision is bigger Than I hoped. He told my husband that he did what was needed . I just thank God for His love and mercy for seeing me through the surgery.
 
So you do not remember a thing and did not wake up in pain.....sounds like everything went just the way it was supposed to. The incision will be mostly invisible after a while. Just be thankful he made it bigger than you had hoped and didn't try to maneuver the implant in a smaller area where he couldn't see as well. In the long run, it's better that way. God saw you through this as well as the many prayers of your new friends here at Bonesmart! :angel:
 
Welcome to the other side Carolina girl! Read everything this site recommends. I know what you mean about your husband. Mine was my care taker for the first two weeks :puppysmooze: Just rest, rest, rest, it is the best thing for you. I am 7 weeks out and I feel good. Please don't hesitate to take your meds, don't try to be superwoman and follow the Bonesmart mantra.... Rest, ice and elevate, you will be better for it. :angel: Take care!
 
Gosh, it's fabulous that you are doing so well! I may need your hubby to give mine a few pointers in 11 days! Take care and rest , take meds and more rest! Will keep you in my prayers. Looking forward to more posts about your recovery.
 
Mimi , I am doing very well but already know it will be a slow process.i have not had much pain but then Ray has made himself a chart and sees to it that I take it right on time. Right now I cannot get on or off the bed without his help. I may let the grand kids ages seven and nine visit today briefly. They are worried about their Mimi! I hope you have a great 4th of July!
 
I had a goodnight but had about fours that I stayed awake.It was not pain. I was just awake. I think the Tens is helping. I did my exercises and now I am resting. So far,so good.
 
Sleep is sporadic, maybe three hour chunks. I am getting to point where I hate to call my husband to help me get up. My bed is high and he Needs to lift the operated leg to the floor. Any ideas on how I can do that.? This morning I walked out of bathroom without my walker. My husband walked into the room and said, "Joyce, what are you doing?" I said, "huh?" And realized what I doing. I had just awakened and guess I was in a daze!
 
That's actually a good thing - to be able to walk without your walker and not realize it. Although the walker is probably necessary for stability at this point. Keep on truckin'!
 
I am so glad you are doing so well. My hubby and I spent yesterday trying to get my bedroom ready. Like you our beds are extremely high and I am short. What we did was remove the box springs and he placed several pieces of thick plywood on the slats of the bed until we got the right height. I was worried that the bed would not have enough support but I slept in that bed last night just to try it out. It was very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping. If that didn't work the other option was that he was going to build a frame underneath the mattress using 2x4's and attaching them to the outside frame of the bed. But for now it seems that just the plywood is going to work. Also you can get a thin towel , twist it in to an elongated shape and wrap the towel with duct tape and use it to lift your leg yourself. I worked home health for about 15 years and this is what we recommended for patients.
Some people have recommended using some type of leg lifter which is available on Amazon but I would try the towel first. That is what I plan to do. I am not sure if I will have a TENS unit but I do intend to ask. I will have a CPM machine. Hope you got to see your grandkids yesterday. I keep mine who are 8 and 5 every day and it is going to be hard for them. But my hubby is planning to let them come after a week and swim in our pool . What are you prescribed for pain? It seems to be working well. I also plan to take them by the clock and have put an app on my IPAD called Pillboxie to remind me. Keep up the good work and rest and go slow. Hope you have a great day today. I will be praying for you.
 
I actually surprised myself a couple hours ago and got up from bed without help! LOL! Have not figured out getting back in yet.
 
@Carolina girl, you need to get yourself or make yourself a leg lifter until those quad muscles wake up and start functioning again. Here are a couple of pics:

[Bonesmart.org] Out of surgery!  Recovery begins
[Bonesmart.org] Out of surgery!  Recovery begins
You can use a towel, a sheet, or a long sash, even rope if you don't want to buy one. I just grabbed a handful of sweat or pj pants to lift my naughty right leg up for a couple of weeks.
 
I've been lifting my leg with my hands for a long time so I guess I'll be practiced for this after surgery. LOL!
 
I am icing and elevating so I will take this time to check in. I have had a very good morning. I can now get in And OUT of bed without help which is huge! Now I do not have to wake DH up when I need to go! I can also get myself in and out of recliner.PT came and was pleased with my progress. The reward was, of course, to add more! Now it is time for a nap.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Out of surgery!  Recovery begins
Carolina girl, they give us a real morale boost every time we pass one. You--getting in and out of bed and your recliner on your own---WOW!! doesn't it make you feel good and a lot more independent. I suggest that you make a note of each and every one of these milestones, so one day when things are all going wrong, you can pull out your list and remind yourself of how far you've come and how well you've really done.

This is a long recovery, and it's easy to get discouraged from time to time. That's why anything you can do to keep your spirits up is good for you. Keeping a positive attitude is a real plus in the game.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Carolina girl, good for and all your progress! I am taking it very easy today, I made a trip with hubby to Nashville and home....about a 6 hour trip will stops and errands. I recline on the back seat so it is no problem but awfully tired today! Keep up the good work :) :)
 
Hi Joyce, I finally found your thread. Welcome to the other side! It looks like you're doing really well kiddo! You are a smart woman realizing that this is going to be a slow recovery, no need to rush.:thumb: You have a sweet hubby there, which is an extra added plus. Stay well kiddo and happy healing!:friends:
 
Thanks Jacky, Todsy was my tenth day post-op and I feel I have done very well.I have had very little pain or else the OxyContin manages it very well. I have much more mobility than I expected to have. My husband has been a wonderful nurse and has been kind and patient. I have had some appetite issues and that is improving. I am not sleeping all night but get three-to- four hours chunks between taking meds. I know I have many weeks of recovery ahead but,all in all,feel blessed.
 
Good to hear you are doing so well Joyce. A great inspiration for all of us waiting to be to the other side!

Hugs
Denise
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom