Guest viewing is limited

THR Ouch!

I’m going to physio but being careful with exercising. I need to strengthen my leg. I’m almost 8 weeks since surgery and not really able to walk without a cane yet. I can take a few steps but my muscles are really weak.
 
Thank you for the update!

That's really fine at nearly 8 weeks. Until then the muscles are really focused on the healing process and on a cellular level they can't do much to get stronger - not getting weaker means you're healing AND maintaining activity!

We strongly encourage using the cane as long as needed, both for safety and to ensure developing good stride and structure - it's near impossible to limp your way into good walking.
With the cane you can practice heel to toe walking.
[Bonesmart.org] Ouch!
 
I never tried crutches! I use a cane when I can’t hold on! I might try that!

I am closing in on 4 weeks and feel the same way! I remember the day I couldn’t lift my leg by myself in bed and am reminded of how much I’ve healed! I wish I’d known how long it would take to have a full day with no pain! stol swollen thigh and heavy leg feeling!
Hi,
You are having the same post-op experience I had. I am almost 9 weeks and the swelling is still causing problems. I have gone back to four sessions of ice daily. I also developed bursitis in the hip but prednisone resolved that quickly.

Don’t be like me and stop icing when it feels better. Swelling can flare up even if you don’t overdo your waking/PT. It is a nasty and sneaky thing.

Take care and be patient. Recovery can be a long road, especially if you are 72 like me!

@Megalodon
 
My experience has also been very similar. I can walk without a cane but it hurts and my muscles feel so weak. I must have been using a completely different set while limping the past few years (and being way to sedentary). I expected recovery to be quicker but seems like this is normal. I've started doing strength exercises and stretches but am taking it very slowly. I figure it took years to get this decrepit, it'll take a while to reverse it. :)
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Give it time, your muscles will strengthen right along with your stamina.
It takes patience and we're with you all the way. Please keep us posted!
A great weekend to you!
@cairistiona60
 
Back
Top Bottom