Guest viewing is limited

Op No 3 coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes original accident was in june 2013 when I was doing an underground rescue training drill
I twisted it quite severely. I went to company DR 2 day later for a diagnosis of hype extension of the knee.
No scans were sort and I was given one swing off work ( = 20 day break )
I got back for about 3 months then knee gave way again scans were done and I had torn the midicus cartilage
(im not sure how its spelt sorry :snork: ) Keyhole was organized for that and done with a couple of months off work.
can back on light duties and lasted 5 /6 months on full duties but living on meds a knee brace ice and a few cold ales .
Third time I went down was the worse felt like I had been shot with a shotgun close range required morphine to get me to ground level and the flying dr to get me to the city
OS Requested Standing x-rays to find no cartridge left on inside of L Knee and decided that an orthropsy (spelling again ) was required .That was 7 months off work and pain plus but managed to work my way back to my old job after about a year .
Now im going back to try and get the TKR as I have a pain level anywhere from 4 to 8 everyday

sorry if I went off track but yes work related injury
 
Ouch! Your poor knee!

It sounds to me as if you've had more than enough short-term "fixes" on it and it's time to get it sorted once and for all. That's why I would push to have a TKR, since so many PKRs need to be revised later to a TKR.
 
Very true and if I had not of found this site I prob would not of gone for the TKR but now its going to be that
I have been thru so much so far time to end it and get my life back pain free
 
I am sorry you have had to deal with all of this! Like many people on this site, all the "short term fixes" just prolonged the inevitable. Yes, push for the total knee replacement and get your life back. Good luck on getting it all organized! You will do great.
 
Being 8 weeks post PKR all this sounds very depressing!!!!
I have posed the question before of why PKR'S have to be revised as the reasons are not generally posted.
I seems to me that PKR'S come in and out of fashion/favour. I know that over the past 10-15 years they have changed in their construction and now the Oxford pkr with a floating bearing has a much better life expectancy along with the improved method of manufacture of the bearing, something to do with irradiation and free radicals, but that's a bit above me.
Perhaps your OS is making a call that you may well have to have a revision 10 yr down the line but by that time you will be in your 60's and the tkr should then see you out. All of the replies here seem to intimate that if you go for a tkr that's you sorted till you're 100 no problem! I don't think that is the case.
Remember that revising a pkr is far less complicated than revision to tkr. He may also be think that the function of a pkr is better for someone who still wants to remain physically active.
A few interesting points on my OS.
I'm guessing he is around 64 and does a lot of surgeries. Of the somewhere around 400 knees he's done in the last 2 years mine is about the 10th pkr! He has a tkr himself which was revised from a pkr so he knows this from both sides. I did not ask him why he had to have a revision but I sure will when I see him in a couple of weeks.
Maybe I'll be back here posting about my revision in a few years but I hope not. Just remember that we PKR'S are a very exclusive bunch✌


Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
 
If a PKR has to be revised, it is to a TKR, not to another PKR.

I had the Oxford Mobile Bearing PKR, back in 2000. It lasted me for 11 years, which I understand is longer than most PKRs last. After recovering from a revision to a TKR, I am able to be just as active with that knee as I was with the PKR. Frankly, I think that the expectation of being more active with a PKR than with a TKR is a bit of a red herring.

A TKR nowadays can last 30 years, or more - and some of them have done that already - so a revision in later life is not inevitable.
 
That's the thing I'm told I would be lucky to get ten years out of a TKR thou I have heard of longer .I understand that my work would be a major factor in wear and tear to it due to the high volume of stairs I have to climb during my daily task and have been undertaking training outside of work to better my chances of other employment in the same field thou not as an operator but trainer.This I believe will ensure my knee will last longer as the work load on them will be reduced .I would love to hear from those who have had PKR that are in in a physical type of industry as to how it went did it last long any factors that refused your ability to do your work unrestricted


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck Mark.
I hope that you'll report soon that you are going to get your new knee.
 
That's the thing I'm told I would be lucky to get ten years out of a TKR thou I have heard of longer .I understand that my work would be a major factor in wear and tear to it due to the high volume of stairs I have to climb during my daily task and have been undertaking training outside of work to better my chances of other employment in the same field thou not as an operator but trainer.This I believe will ensure my knee will last longer as the work load on them will be reduced .I would love to hear from those who have had PKR that are in in a physical type of industry as to how it went did it last long any factors that refused your ability to do your work unrestricted


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
Thank you I hope to do update 2 on Tuesday night with the news that a TKR is booked and rattles is getting a new knee for Xmas


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I understand that revision to a pkr means conversion to tkr, my point was that revision to a tkr is far more complicated/difficult.
Rattles where did you get the "be lucky to get 10 yr " from, was it your OS?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
 
Not sure if I would call it lucky believed I needed it replaced 2 years ago and have been the model patient every time but having got back to my pre injury role and still suffer daily I have got to the stage where I want to work and socialise pain free I have done everything as requested and done the right thing by management keeping everyone in the loop every time I do I get put off site like this week I saw the site medic for small pain relief next thing I will be lucky if I get back to work till 100% cleared 2 ops later and now the OS wants PKR far as I'm concerned if I have to have the op its a TKR not going thru all this only to be told in 12 months sorry the PKR has not done the job so we will do the TKR


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like your knee is really messed up @Rattles. I hear you on the suffering but soldiering on. I had to wait for my first tkr for 6 months. It had been deteriorating for years but it was a blown meniscus that finally sent me to the surgeon. MRI & xrays found the whole knee was a disaster. I limped along on an unstable knee until my school break. Why do I tell you this? Because since the recovery from the surgery it's been like a great weight has been lifted off me. I hope it will be the same for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom