THR Onwards and upwards

Thankyou @mojo33. I genuinely felt so emotional I could have proposed to the anaesthetist when I found everything was well. When I was taken to x Ray minus my crutches I had to hug the radiologist to move from chair to bed. They sure have to cope with a lot these medical staff.

Yep, onward....
and, all this soft tissue trauma will take a while to settle... So don't be surprised if your emotional state follows mine (and apparently others) -

Pre-op chronic pain, denial, and depression
Diagnosis...denial, gratitude for answers
Shock / Dismay for prospect of hie replacement
Acceptance and somewhat resignation for proposed solution
Close to surgery...Anxiety / Fear and What If Mentality

Post Op Yes! I'm through... I didn't die, lol
Ouch, Dang.... this Hurts Alot
Pain meds tweaked - Ok, not as bad as I thought
Yes! Euphoria, I envision the proverbial light....

3-4 weeks post op....
What is this? Is this normal? Geez, this is getting old.... Did I make the right decision?

2-3 months, Wow this is amazing, Ooops, too much too soon, Geez thought I'd be over this by now....

Anyway, point is: It is a process.
But 6 yrs out, I say... All Worth it.

The question is what movements? Some are good like ankle pumps to relieve boredom and keep blood flowing. Some can be detrimental like leg lifts and bridges in early weeks and months.
3 bed excercises which are:
clench you buttocks hold, release x 3.
Minimal heel slide as comfortable x 3.

Plus 1 I can't do which is slide leg outwards slightly and back. Physio said don't worry about that til later. And walks to the loo, or around the house.

3 standing excerises which I haven't started yet ( day 5).
Hold onto a chair
Knees lift as comfortable
Side lift as comfortable move leg backwards as comfortable.
Tbh I don't feel quite read for those but will continue getting up and down and walking around when stiff.

I think I'll feel better when I get back to bowel movements. Taking senna and lactulous for that

Yep, onward....
and, all this soft tissue trauma will take a while to settle... So don't be surprised if your emotional state follows mine (and apparently others) -

Pre-op chronic pain, denial, and depression
Diagnosis...denial, gratitude for answers
Shock / Dismay for prospect of hie replacement
Acceptance and somewhat resignation for proposed solution
Close to surgery...Anxiety / Fear and What If Mentality

Post Op Yes! I'm through... I didn't die, lol
Ouch, Dang.... this Hurts Alot
Pain meds tweaked - Ok, not as bad as I thought
Yes! Euphoria, I envision the proverbial light....

3-4 weeks post op....
What is this? Is this normal? Geez, this is getting old.... Did I make the right decision?

2-3 months, Wow this is amazing, Ooops, too much too soon, Geez thought I'd be over this by now....

Anyway, point is: It is a process.
But 6 yrs out, I say... All Worth it.
Good to hear @Mojo333

The question is what movements? Some are good like ankle pumps to relieve boredom and keep blood flowing. Some can be detrimental like leg lifts and bridges in early weeks and months.
3 bed excercises which are:
clench you buttocks hold, release x 3.
Minimal heel slide as comfortable x 3.

Plus 1 I can't do which is slide leg outwards slightly and back. Physio said don't worry about that til later. And walks to the loo, or around the house.

3 standing excerises which I haven't started yet ( day 5).
Hold onto a chair
Knees lift as comfortable
Side lift as comfortable move leg backwards as comfortable.
Tbh I don't feel quite read for those but will continue getting up and down and walking around when stiff.

I think I'll feel better when I get back to bowel movements. Taking senna and lactulous for that
All those 'exercises' are standard simple movements of the hip joint and surrounding muscles that you will find are very helpful as you progress. The side leg movement on your back is one of the most difficult but there is a great feeling of relief / achievement when it happens!
Apart from walking, mostly around the house and garden, they are all the 'exercise' I did for the first weeks and months. I relished being able to stand up straight. All is well and now, at four months, I am beginning to think if improving overall fitness and strength.
Go gently.

Day 7. 1 week ago I was having my hip replaced. In some ways it's gone really quick. I'm now worrying that I'm not recovering as fas as I dhoild be. I'm still on paracetamol and codeine ever 3 hours with suppy of icycodone as a 'boost'. I'm trying not tousemyixy boost much, down to one a day.

Bowel movements....manged 1 yesterday hopeful more will happen, I'm taking 2 sennas and some stool softener.

Excercise. I'm managing some simple movement excercises. I walk through the house and back on 2 crutches to get a few laps in every now and then.

I still seem sleepy and not feel like concentrating on anything, am I doing enough excercise? I decided to go 'outside' today with my husband coming with me. Did a 5 minute walk at the front of the house.

Still thirsty all the time, drinking a few litres of water a day plus tea/coffee.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Please let us know how your recovery is going. We’d love to hear about your progress. Hope to hear from you soon! :)
@Uk Hippie

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Please let us know how your recovery is going. We’d love to hear about your progress. Hope to hear from you soon! :)
@Uk Hippie
Hi Layla, I think I'm doing good(?). At 4 weeks I'm totally off any painkillers(I think by about week 3 actually), I can move around the house with no crutches. Walking outside is either 1 or 2 crutches. I tend to take 2 if I'm unsure about the distance, but 1 if I'm confident. Yesterday was my first trip round a large supermarket. I took 1 plus the trolley and my husband came with me, he moved bags around and drove. It was actually good to go the supermarket and make it round ( who knew that would ever be exciting!).

Can't drive yet, which is frustrating as I'm dependant in lifts, but I'm kinda booking friends in for regular visits round mine instead.

Mobility wise, my thigh feels a bit tight. I have some easy physio stretches to do and I set 3 alarms on my phone to remind me. A little walk outside each day is part of my routine. Obviously I can't tie shoes laces or reach feet yet, which is another frustration, as is sleeping. I've found it impossible to sleep in my bed as I always want to turn in my sleep, so im sleeping in a chair with wings that lies down to flat like a bed, and I'm finding that much better.

I'd be interested to know what others think of a tightness in the thigh, does this mean anything is wrong? (Like a loose implant???!). Also I've no idea how MUCH walking I should be doing...so I'm going with whatever I feel like. And when....if ever...will I ever be able to tie my shoelaces?

I have an OS follow-up appointment coming up in 2 weeks, so I'll see how things are then.

I had tightness in my thigh for quite a while but I was reassured that it is quite common and soft tissue only, not a sign of a loose implant. It was always worse when I had done more so when it appeared I eased off a bit until it went away again. My physio did some pressure release and that helped too.
I bought some loafers and that got over whether or not I could tie my own shoelaces. I haven’t tried recently but I’m pretty sure I could now. At 6 months. Anyway, it is sandal weather here now in the UK.

I'd be interested to know what others think of a tightness in the thigh, does this mean anything is wrong?
No, this is just internal swelling. Soft tissues are still healing. Ice is your friend. And as Gloucestergal suggested, trigger point massage can be very effective.
And when....if ever...will I ever be able to tie my shoelaces?
You are only one month out - patience my friend. You will be able to tie shoes and drive soon. I found things improved between week 4 and week 6.

Thanks for yout encouragement Goucestergal65 and Jaycey. I feel generally optimistic....back to work soon for me!

It was actually good to go the supermarket and make it round ( who knew that would ever be exciting!).
This made me chuckle. Let’s just say that I can wait till the cupboards are almost bare before I grocery shop. Grocery shopping is far from the top of my list of favorite things to do. I experienced the same elation on my first trip back. It felt so wonderful to leisurely walk the store rather than leaning heavily on the grocery cart, grabbing only what I needed to quickly get off my feet, back into the comfort of my vehicle. Ugh! I will never forget either those days or the joy of being able to shop again pain free!! We’re blessed to live in such a time. I am glad you’re doing well, Thanks for the update. A great week to you!
I'd be interested to know what others think of a tightness in the thigh, does this mean anything is wrong?
One last thing…No, nothing is wrong. You’re in the early days of recovery in the whole scheme of things. My OS said there can be some swelling up to a full year post op, naturally slowing easing along the way. So please don’t worry.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom