TKR One Year Post Surgery

I feel so spoiled, even when i don't use my cane I take it with me so someone doesn't think I'm trying to get over! The nice thing about where my work's handicap parking is literally 25 feet from the front of the building AND we have an elevator! If needed :) :-) (:

I do appreciate that they understand the snow and ice problems, they have a company who clears and de-ices with chemicals, but sometimes they don't make it until 9-10 AM!!

@Sara61 my knee swells at work but I'm still able to I & E, which helps a lot! Not as good as staying at home though! 13 months until retirement!

:yes!: Just under 7 weeks post op..
Feeling very chuffed with myself.
Today did my first solo trip by car (in the pouring rain) to the shopping mall, met my sister for a coffee and wandered In and out of several shops, did a bit of naughty food treat shopping ( chocolates,mince pies etc) and then back home, was out for a total of 3 hours - clocked 9000 steps on my fitbit and drove for at least 40 minutes.
I took a crutch in the car but did not use it, & I wore skinny jeans and flat knee high boots.
Mr. Knee did click but I followed Tykeys advice and chose to ignore it and after a bit it didn't seem to bother me.
Once home I iced and elevated but no symptoms of pain just the usual normal tight feeling across the knee especially from bending to straight or vice versa whilst lying on sofa.
Might pay the price tomorrow but it was well worth it :)
Hopefully another corner has been turned but not holding my breath just yet :praying::praying:

What a great day! Getting out is so uplifting and worth a little bit of extra pain. Spend tomorrow resting and icing if you knee acts up. If not, you are truly blessed.

Whenever I had a busy day, I “took the next day off”, for months! Of course there are occasions when you can’t, but I was pretty good at giving myself a recovery day, and I never felt guilty about it.

I love that you wore skinny jeans and boots (flat heels of course!) :loveshwr: I have some very soft skinny jeans that I can wear to work with boots.... Then I have a couple of pairs of regular denim skinnies...Those I'm not wearing yet, they're a tad rough on the scar still....

I walked almost 3 miles yesterday and I slept so well and woke up feeling phenomenal! Only at the end of today, did I start to stiffen a bit! I think I'm feeling "chuffed" too! (I had to look up 'British Slang' on the internet, to be sure I was using that correctly.)

I have noticed in the past couple of weeks though that my knee tight band has disappeared!? Couldn't tell you when it disappeared though....Ha! I wish it was something I had noticed:shrug:

@Macknit it's funny how our language is the same but yet so different we have all sorts of silly slang, you have words that mean completely different to our words ie Pants...
In English these are lingerie "knickers" in American they mean trousers another word I found funny "Pantyhose" we call then "tights" ha ha
Anyway yesterday caused no problem today other than a slightly sensitive scar area could be the texture of my jeans or even the boots rubbing- I gave Mrs. Knee a good hydrating with plenty of cream so hopefully tomorrow it will be less sensitive.
After my staples were removed the nurse suggested I rubbed different types of fabric on it to desensetize the scar area, but like you my thicker jeans are not comfy at all just yet.

Jockette & Sistersinhim - Totally agree it's good to space out our active days and have calm days in between- I know it's still early days but I'm getting better at reading my body and will say to myself stop :)

Wishing all the American TKR' s a Happy and painfree Thanksgiving- sending hugs from Portugal

@Jamie Hi Jamie I'm today 7 weeks Post op other than the usual overdoing it pain /swelling basically I am not feeling much pain get the occasional ache but actual throbbing pain i have none.
I'm currently taking Skudexa at 23:30pm and then either a paracetamol 1000g or a Iberbrufen 400g at approx 12:30 noon -
I really would like to stop the Skudexa at night do I just stop it or do I take just half a pill for several nights ? Shall I substitute it with Iberbrufen or paracetamol?
I'm sleeping really well at the moment- would Skudexa be the factor for this ? Ideally would like to continue with the good night's sleep ... :)
Thanks again and sorry to be a "pain" with all my queries xx

Thanks @Sara61!!! Blessings on your day too! (Even if it isn't filled with Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, AND pumpkin pie!!!!)

Question .. As the nights are getting colder is it ok to use a electric under blanket on the bed? I don't ever sleep with it turned on but do like to get into a warm bed - will this cause any problems to my knee ?

I don't think it'd be any problem. Try it and see. Your knee will let you know if it doesn't like it.

I use an electric "over" blanket for the same reason. I turn it down to the lowest setting and warm the bed, then I shut it off and my knee has been fine... early on, about 6 weeks po (I think) I left it on and the knee was a bit more swollen in the morning. So as @sistersinhim says, "Your knee will let you know!" :) :-) (:

"The knee will let you know" how true this saying is ...yesterday I had a good session at PT so good that I thought on my way home I would pop into the mall and checkout the pre-black Friday deals as one does right Ha ..anyway after ambling into 2-3 shops my knee decided it had had enough the pain which I previously thought had gone quickly showed it's face and boy did it hurt - to add insult to injury some idiot had parked their car so close to mine that I had to wiggle my way into it.. Anyway today all day it has just played up could not find a comfy position been icing on and off most of the day so hopefully tomorrow it will have forgiven me :praying: :praying: A lesson learned :)
One highlight of the today I finally got to the hairdresser my 7 weeks roots were not a pretty sight but now I feel 21 again ( ha ha, I wish :) )
So far no problem with the electric blanket however I do have my new knee on a pillow so it's not actually in direct contact with the heat.
Hoping a better next few days xx

Black Friday? You have that too? Did you get anything good?

Nooo sadly my knee wouldn't let me browse ... Yes Black Friday starts a week prior and finishes on the 1st so a bit of a con ...basically it's just to encourage one to spend money - I think some countries have great bargains to be had here not so x

I'm doing more and more, we are revamping our house, and my knee is warning me to back off a bit, so I'm having to do that (just a bit). Made lots of savings on black Friday, buying shower, bath, toilet and washbasin.
I've rubbed some isopropen gel on my knee, which is working well!
My roots are perfect, or they would be if I had any

@Sara61 I thought Black Friday was our own little plague in the U.S. It’s such lunacy here, but it takes a lot of luck to really get much out of the system. Unless you’re seeking specific items that happen to be on good sales at that time, like @Tykey. Good work big-cheese!

1st day I haven't taken any painkillers,:tada: on waking I had no pain at all in the morning thinking that by lunchtime I would be in pain and I put a couple of painkillers in my bag - we had promised friends to visit a traditional Restaurant about 2hrs drive away - I dressed normally sat in their car at the back, with my knee bent, still no pain - lunch was as good as anticipated plenty of :cheers: and still no pain and same journey home again and still no pain :yahoo: ...now it's almost midnight and I have been nearly 24 hours without any form of medication and still no pain ...
Hopefully I have turned another new corner:praying::praying:
It's the small achievements like this that show me I'm heading in the right direction :)

Happy pain free weekend to all you lovelies xx

Those aren't small accomplishments, they huge! It does sound like you could be turning that corner!

@sistersinhim Thank you for the praise, I give credit to all you Bonesmarties as without the endless support I wouldn't be doing as well
@Jamie
After another pain free day ( took no medication) ( not holding my breath) my dilemma is... do I take a Iberbrufen 400g or a paracetamol 1000g at bedtime ? I must admit I did take 1 Iberbrufen 400g last night at midnight just to be on the safe side as I didn't fancy waking up in the middle of the night with a pain ( big wimp.. that I am) or do I just be brave and not take anything tonight ?
Or should I take a painkiller ( either paracetamol or Iberbrufen) and ensure myself a good night's sleep? .. any suggestions please xx

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom